Talk

Advanced search

Ear piercing - can I get it done with pearl studs?

(11 Posts)
GlitteringJasper Thu 13-Aug-15 19:04:15

I'm still working up the courage to get my ears piece at 37!

I don't like the gold studs I notice people seem to get.

Could I get them pierced with tiny pearl studs? I know you have to wear them for a while before removing the first time.

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Thu 13-Aug-15 19:23:17

Pearls aren't hypoallergenic and you shouldn't wear pearls all the time (ie in the shower with perfume or with shampoo etc). So no.

You could get a silver or stainless steel stud?

Bunbaker Thu 13-Aug-15 19:48:58

I had mine done at 48 and they used surgical steel earrings. I see very few people wearing gold these days. It seems to have gone out of fashion.

You really don't want pearls getting shampoo etc on them. Although, actually you shouldn't wear silver jewellery in the shower or swimming either, nor should it come into contact with perfume.

Most people have them done with surgical steel then get decent earrings when it's healed.

Iforgottotellyou Thu 13-Aug-15 20:29:50

I got mine recently re- done at a tattoo /body piercing shop although contrary to popular belief THEY STILL USED A GUN! !
Mine are still the typical stud shape ie clumpy looking titanium with a diamond instead of a gold face

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 13-Aug-15 20:31:46

Although, actually you shouldn't wear silver jewellery in the shower or swimming either

Really? Why? I've had the same silver studs in for nearly 20 years and never take them out except for an occasional clean of the piercing hole...

DustBunnyFarmer Thu 13-Aug-15 20:37:37

They have to use special studs for piercing. First off, they fire the stud into your ear & the special studs fit the 'gun'. Secondly, they have a fatter post than normal to ensure you get a decent sized hole once they've healed. You have to leave them in for about 6 weeks initially to ensure they've healed properly and kept the hole open.

ItsAll Silver tarnishes easy and should not be in contact with household chemicals, chlorine etc. Gold can develop an awful dull film from soapy water and other things. It's all largely to do with having to clean and maintain it more regularly really. Some people bother and some

I don't understand why some people keep rings on while doing dishes (leads to scratches aswell) or sleep wearing necklaces and bracelets either. They aren't designed for that and it can lead to breakage (like a friend who I bought a Pandora charm for years ago, a very overweight -not friend anymore,but not related- friend who wore her new Pandora bangle with charm on it to bed and after a couple of weeks of sustaining the weight on her wrist while being twisted around, snapped!)

MirandaGoshawk Thu 13-Aug-15 21:15:28

They do them with gold or steel because you have to clean them with surgical spirit for a couple of weeks until they heal. Then once they have healed you can take the studs out & put in whatever you choose.

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Thu 13-Aug-15 21:54:02

It's the nickel content that makes people edge for gold or stainless steel as even sterling silver can cause reactions in some people.

You should clean your ears with a saline solution . Antiseptic is an irritant.

CointreauVersial Thu 13-Aug-15 23:00:15

You might not get pearls, but piercing places often offer crystal studs (coloured or clear). DD2 had her ears pierced with pale blue crystals on gold posts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now