Talk

Advanced search

Interview clothing panic. Help please stylish MNers

(17 Posts)
Yukky Thu 13-Aug-15 15:04:01

I have an interview coming for a new job. I've no time to get to the shops beforehand so need to order something off t'interweb.

It's in a pretty conservative industry and I'm obviously keen to make a good impression. My prospective boss is about the same age and seems to be effortlessly stylish which is adding pressure.

My current role is in a relaxed industry and I've been on mat leave so have nothing to regurgitate from my existing wardrobe - smart jeans, pumps or sandals and a nice top has been sufficient for the past 5 years and will not be suitable for this Fab New Job.

I'm thinking I need a suit or nice dress and jacket. Mid/low heels are about all I can cope with and I'd like a nice bag to tie it all in. I'm size 10 on top, 12 on the bottom, 5'6" and a HOC deep blue Autumn if that makes a difference. V necks and 3/4 sleeves seems to work well.

So smart but stylish please lovely MNers. All suggestions welcome.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

GingerFoxInAT0phat Thu 13-Aug-15 15:36:01

Sorry I don't have any advice!

But I sympathise as I have got an interview tomorrow, can't find my black trousers so substituting with a thick Jersey navy pencil skirt confused

I have crappy nails, my hair needs cutting and I've had a massive spot breakout.

I haven't worked for 5 years and have no idea what the office is like, or indeed have any experience in the field.

Do you feel better now? gringrin

tethersend Thu 13-Aug-15 15:42:23

What's your budget?

CloserToFiftyThanTwenty Thu 13-Aug-15 16:22:27

How long before the interview (ie do you need super speedy delivery options only)?

Yukky Thu 13-Aug-15 16:43:55

Oh good luck ginger let us know how you get on!!

Budget is prob about £150-200 for a whole suit outfit. Would hope a dress outfit might come in a bit cheaper though if I get the job money will be less of an issue wink

Yukky Thu 13-Aug-15 16:44:10

I have a week.

Yukky Thu 13-Aug-15 16:52:17

I never really go in River Island but popped in there the other day (before I knew about the interview, grr) and saw this jacket: www.riverisland.com/women/coats--jackets/blazers/black-print-ruched-sleeve-blazer-673256

It looked more navy than black to me.

I love Black and Tan together actually. Just not sure if an unmatched suit is smart enough for an interview??

CloserToFiftyThanTwenty Thu 13-Aug-15 17:18:44

If you want to look super smart on a budget, the easiest way to do that is with a matching dress and jacket. Will have a look at a few options

CloserToFiftyThanTwenty Thu 13-Aug-15 17:25:53

Or a dress with sleeves

CloserToFiftyThanTwenty Thu 13-Aug-15 17:29:40

Or Navy this

jellyjiggles Thu 13-Aug-15 17:52:12

I'm also interview bound in days after years of basically pleasing myself ��

Thank fully I own a lot of summer dresses and have one solitary black jacket that gets pulled out on such occasions. I also make sure I have a pair of wide legged suit trousers I can throw on when needed.

Can I recommend a basic trouser suit with pretty top under (Next is always pretty good at basic tailoring). I always think you can't go wrong with something simple like black/navy/grey suit with red/orange/pink top and matching colour heels. It works for every occasion. Isn't to stuffy and has a bit of style about it.

CloserToFiftyThanTwenty Thu 13-Aug-15 18:04:37

This dress is a bargain if the colour suits you

CloserToFiftyThanTwenty Thu 13-Aug-15 18:06:38

And here's the matching jacket

StillFrankie Thu 13-Aug-15 19:06:00

I had an interview recently and got the job. Heres my interview routine!

I wore a navy blue sleeveless shirt from DP (as blue apparently means trustworthy and loyal!) along with a black blazer and black trousers from evans. I wore ankle boots (black) from new look to make me look and feel tall and confident. I wore navy blue stud earrings from accessorise along with a navy necklace from claires. I bought a black bag from primark and some new undies from asda!

I wore a new perfume that wasn't too overpowering (RL romance) and got my hair cut and dyed. Also bought whitening toothpaste (Beverly hills black toothpaste) and used this for a week beforehand. I also got my eyebrows threaded and dyed, and lashes dyed.

I watched makeup tutorials on YouTube and used benefit porefessional primer then bare minerals complexion rescue on my face followed by bare minerals clear radiance on top, bare minerals stroke of light around eyes, Rimmel lipstick, urban decay naked palette (light brown shadows with vanilla over brow bone)

I made sure I ate after my interview to ensure no food in teeth. If you smoke wait til afterwards.

I put a lot off effort into my appearance as you can see but I also spent a whole month researching the role and possible questions as that's equally as important.

Hope this helps

StillFrankie Thu 13-Aug-15 19:06:10

I had an interview recently and got the job. Heres my interview routine!

I wore a navy blue sleeveless shirt from DP (as blue apparently means trustworthy and loyal!) along with a black blazer and black trousers from evans. I wore ankle boots (black) from new look to make me look and feel tall and confident. I wore navy blue stud earrings from accessorise along with a navy necklace from claires. I bought a black bag from primark and some new undies from asda!

I wore a new perfume that wasn't too overpowering (RL romance) and got my hair cut and dyed. Also bought whitening toothpaste (Beverly hills black toothpaste) and used this for a week beforehand. I also got my eyebrows threaded and dyed, and lashes dyed.

I watched makeup tutorials on YouTube and used benefit porefessional primer then bare minerals complexion rescue on my face followed by bare minerals clear radiance on top, bare minerals stroke of light around eyes, Rimmel lipstick, urban decay naked palette (light brown shadows with vanilla over brow bone)

I made sure I ate after my interview to ensure no food in teeth. If you smoke wait til afterwards.

I put a lot off effort into my appearance as you can see but I also spent a whole month researching the role and possible questions as that's equally as important.

Hope this helps

Yukky Thu 13-Aug-15 19:21:12

Thank you closer I shall check all those out.

Well done frankie I'd love to see a picture of the finished article! I love how much detail you went into - especially the new undies bit. That's a good shout - am sure something lovely and new will make me feel better than in my chewing gum grey nursing bras blush

StillFrankie Thu 13-Aug-15 19:41:28

No picture, sorry but I felt able to so the job cos I looked the part iykwim? It did lots for my confidence.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now