Talk

Advanced search

Women in their late 40s/early 50s as style inspirations. Your nominations?

(122 Posts)
NotdeadyetBOING Thu 13-Aug-15 12:54:17

When I say style, I mean it quite loosely. So, for instance, I would happily include Liz Hurley on the basis that she is still in v. v. good nick even though I am less sure about the clothing sometimes. Nigella puts a smile on my face quite often - gorgeous in her 50s. Halle Berry is up there too. What I am keen for is people's top choices in terms of style too. Want clothing inspiration that is age appropriate (to the extent that that matters), but still on trend. Not quite ready to embrace comfy slacks and fleeces yet, but suspect my days of trotting about on Christian Louboutin heels are far behind me too…..

Callycatsy Thu 13-Aug-15 13:13:59

Isabel Marant?

Callycatsy Thu 13-Aug-15 13:17:07

Oh no, I didn't mean her. blush Who's the dark haired gorgeous woman that wears Blazers, Bretons and jeans and is often photographed with the Eiffel Tower behind her?

Yika Thu 13-Aug-15 13:17:15

Kirsty Wark.

Yika Thu 13-Aug-15 13:17:48

Oops she is 60.

cressetmama Thu 13-Aug-15 13:19:27

Ines de la Fressange? Mind you, it must help to be very tall and willowy.

clatteringhooves Thu 13-Aug-15 13:35:29

Julianna Margulies

WavingNotDrowning Thu 13-Aug-15 13:44:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Callycatsy Thu 13-Aug-15 13:44:53

Ines! That's the one! She's fab.
thatsnotmyage.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/ines_de-la-fressange-uniqlo-shirts.jpg

NotdeadyetBOING Thu 13-Aug-15 13:45:04

Yes to Ines de la F and massive yes to Julianna M who is my style crush I may be addicted to The Good Wife. How could I have forgotten her?! Trouble is, all her sexy work wear doesn't really work for freelance me and my lifestyle.

NotdeadyetBOING Thu 13-Aug-15 13:46:10

I am after looking good rather than 'looking good for age'.

Hang on - what about the latest Bond girl, that Italian woman? Belluci??? Looks like she has had quite a bit of surgery, but I'll allow her on the list all the same.

WavingNotDrowning Thu 13-Aug-15 13:54:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cressetmama Thu 13-Aug-15 14:01:38

Love Clare Underwood, but her style is more suited to the White House than the Cornish country life of a SAHM with a large dog! IdlF wears jeans and a smile so well that I can. channel her aesthetic and not frighten horses (or DH)

Dowser Thu 13-Aug-15 14:14:33

Angela Ripon now 70
Honor Blackman...aged 89

I'm going for the old girls as I passed 40s decades ago.

Callycatsy Thu 13-Aug-15 15:21:23

cresset I've decided that from today I shall channel Ines grin I agree it's all about the smile!

dowser I'm not a fan of Angela, she wears girly ponytails with barrettes and too much eye make up. Love Honor though. Classy.

Dowser Thu 13-Aug-15 15:58:21

Does she? Thought her hair was short.

( surreptitiously removes barrette from own ponytail and gives head a shake;-) )

cressetmama Thu 13-Aug-15 16:13:39

cally smile

Callycatsy Thu 13-Aug-15 16:15:13

I must have made it up, she looks fab in every pic I've Googled. Sorry Ange, as you were love.

GeorginaWorsley Thu 13-Aug-15 16:30:26

I'm liking most of the women mentioned.
Not sure re Clare underwood, bit harsh for me I think.
I love the French ladies if a certain age, Emmanuelle Alt,Caroline de Maigret, Ines etc.
I like that sort of chic look.
There are lots of others I like too but I can't just think of them blush
Must be my age grin

Oh yes, Natalie Massenet, She's one of them.
I like a pared down chic look but not corporate, if that makes sense!

pilates Thu 13-Aug-15 16:30:45

Yasmin Le Bon, she always looks amazingly beautiful in a very natural way.

GeorginaWorsley Thu 13-Aug-15 16:53:00

I'm sure there are lots of British style icons.
I sometimes like what Victoria Beckham wears,the less outlandish stuff and minus the pout grin

NotdeadyetBOING Thu 13-Aug-15 17:05:03

Liking Yasmin Le Bon. Yes. And looks like no 'work' unlike her husband. Less sure about VB who still wears preposterous shoes although she has improved in recent years. No idea who Caroline de Maigret is <races off to Google immediately>.

NotdeadyetBOING Thu 13-Aug-15 17:06:55

Just checked and Caroline de M is only 40. Born in 70s doesn't count, I'm afraid. Seriously Monica Belluci is insanely attractive. I am so thick I don't know how to place a clever, easy link for you to see what I mean.

Callycatsy Thu 13-Aug-15 17:15:28

Not liking Caroline, she's all fringe. Off to check Monica...

NotdeadyetBOING Thu 13-Aug-15 17:16:49

She is 50, I should add although does look as if she has had quite a bit of work

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now