Talk

Advanced search

New York is there really anything worth shopping for?

(14 Posts)
EachandEveryone Wed 12-Aug-15 22:38:29

I plan to give a full day up because I'm a Sod for lingering in Sephora and drug stores. I become obbsessed with different toiletries it's completely ridiculous I know. It's New York!!! And there I am in Bigelows rubbing different creams in. Anyway this time I'm spending one day on my own indulging myself. I don't want to waste money on anything I can get here. My nieces have ordered me it Holister and will go to Ralph Lauren got my nephew a couple of jumpers, last time got them from Bloomingdales is that the best place for RL?

I just want to know really is there anything really worth bringing back? I'm not really a fan of Michael Korrs. Seems to be everywhere.

Millymollymama Wed 12-Aug-15 22:55:43

£:$ rate is totally crap right now so no bargains. Just buy things if you really think they are good value and you cannot get them here. RL is often a good buy. My DH likes Cole Hahn. Lots of quirky shops in SoHo might attract you. My DH didn't even do his usual sweep in Banana Republic when we were there! Check out the perfume/make up prices on all beauty before you go, just in case it's cheaper here.

EachandEveryone Wed 12-Aug-15 23:06:31

It's not until October I hope the rate changes by then!

Glitteryfrog Thu 13-Aug-15 11:08:35

The only things I've bought in US is trainers.
Converse are $45 and I got some Nike's for $35.
Levis are a bit cheaper.
Don't bother with Macy's I thought it was rubbish.

newpup Thu 13-Aug-15 11:56:43

Converse are cheaper if that is your thing. I like Macys as they usually have a sale on and overseas visitors get an extra discount on top. I like Sephora too. Hollister is so much cheaper and always seems to have a sale on. I have some beautiful Ralph Lauren from the states but most is from discount stores although Macy's have a Ralph Lauren section too. Have fun. :-)

Boosiehs Thu 13-Aug-15 11:56:51

Banana republic is a must - the sale stuff is awesome.

Shoes in Macys are good.

Levis are awlays cheaper - as are converse - try and find a DSW (discount SHoe Warhouse (there is one near Macys).

I love the beauty halls in Saks and Bloomingdales. I think Bobby Brown and MAC are aways cheaper, even with the current exchange rate.

cressetmama Thu 13-Aug-15 13:24:14

Seventh Avenue between 20 and 28th streets used to have lots of wonderful small shops selling odd leftover bits from the top names. Don't know if it still does, but it's probably not easy tourist browsing if you just have one day.

Misssss Thu 13-Aug-15 18:36:00

Go to Ricky's NYC total Aladdin's cave of beauty and hair things. There is on on Broadway and a couple more dotted about. It's well worth the visit.

Oly4 Thu 13-Aug-15 18:41:35

I've just got back and thought stuff was still really good value.
I shopped in Ralph Lauren on Fifth Avenue,
Tommy Hilfiger (the non-branded beautiful stuff) and Banana Republic, which was silly cheap.
I did a sweep of Macy's and bought. Leather bag in Fossil

chocolatechip123 Thu 13-Aug-15 18:44:31

How does the tax work in the us? It's been yonks since I was there. Is the price the tag plus state tax on clothes/electrical goods etc?

EachandEveryone Thu 13-Aug-15 23:15:22

I think so.

WaggleBee Fri 14-Aug-15 00:29:20

Ah. I came on to say Sephora. I'm like you and end up spending an age in there and oohing over how cheap the drugstore stuff is. blush

I'm adding Ricky's to my beauty stuff list.

Never very impressed with the clothing though tbh.

amarmai Fri 14-Aug-15 00:33:50

J Crew& Anne Taylor have good sales on now- not sure about October.

EachandEveryone Fri 14-Aug-15 00:34:17

I'm wondering about J.Crew

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now