Talk

Advanced search

Would you say this is acne??

(25 Posts)
GingerFoxInAT0phat Wed 12-Aug-15 20:52:45

Hi, I started a thread a couple of weeks ago with some clogged pores and asking for advice.

Over the course of about 2 weeks my skins gone from bad to worse and its really getting me down.

I have attached a photo of my skin right now after cleansing and one from this morning. (I seem to have gone from normal to gaunt over the day, must be the lighting!)

If anyone has experience of acne would you say this is it? Does is warrant a trip to the doctors?

Thanks for any advice.

GingerFoxInAT0phat Wed 12-Aug-15 20:57:36

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/style_and_beauty/2434145-clogged-pores-need-help-pic-inc

Link to first thread.

Snoozebox Wed 12-Aug-15 21:32:00

If I had skin like yours I'd be overjoyed smile have you been picking at them? Might be the light but they look a bit bloody. I'd recommend stopping ALL products and not touching your face...it's helped me and if I didn't have scars from acne then I'd have clear skin again in 2 days from that type of spot. But everyone is different.

Snoozebox Wed 12-Aug-15 21:34:07

Sorry, just seen the third pic. There seems to be a red patch around each outbreak - on my skin this is inflammation caused by hormones/stress and only ice calms it down and prevents it from becoming large problematic spots. Are the red patches itchy?

SweetAndFullOfGrace Wed 12-Aug-15 21:46:58

My skin goes a bit like that if my pillow case is dirty, or I'm stressed/tired. Are you run down at the moment? I find taking a good b-complex supplement helps when my skin is like that.

GingerFoxInAT0phat Wed 12-Aug-15 21:48:59

Thanks for replying.

Yes I have been picking/squeezing like a mad person blush

The one on my chin, a huge flake of skin has come off and I have weird red lines around it now. That has scared me from squeezing any more as all my red spots have come mainly from squeezing those little whiteheads.

Should I carry on cleansing?

No they aren't itchy. I did have a break from the pill but have been back on it for a week or so now.

I've always had very dry skin with no spots, could it be that it's now combination?

Thank you for replying.

Indecisivejo Wed 12-Aug-15 21:49:29

What products are u using at mo

GingerFoxInAT0phat Wed 12-Aug-15 21:51:18

Thanked you twice! blush

Pillows are washed frequently what with 2 wriggly sweating kid jumping in with me smile

I have been feeling pretty low the last few weeks. Would it really effect my skin like this?

Wolpertinger Wed 12-Aug-15 21:53:54

What products are you using at the moment?

You should be using a mild, non-foaming cleanser like Cetaphil
A salicylic acid exfoliator - like LRP Effaclar Duo
and an oil free moisturiser

And nothing else!

Squeezing them will leave red marks that take a very long time to go away. Something like Vichy hyaluspot will clear individual ones up quicker and minimize flaking but you need the all over salicylic to stop new ones forming.

If you do this and it hasn't helped in 4 weeks, see your GP.

GingerFoxInAT0phat Wed 12-Aug-15 21:56:05

I double cleanse with body shops camomile oil cleanser.

Tone with clarins (think its called gentle exfoliating toner or similar)

2-3 times a week use nip and fabs glycolic fix extreme pads with salicyclic acid.

Spray with avene thermal water and then use boots botanics night cream.

And body shop vit c day cream.

SweetAndFullOfGrace Wed 12-Aug-15 21:56:33

I have quite dry skin and it massively breaks out when I'm run down. Rest and relax if you can, and make sure you're not dehydrated.

Indecisivejo Wed 12-Aug-15 21:58:12

Are u using the clarins toner every day?

GingerFoxInAT0phat Wed 12-Aug-15 21:58:56

I have actually been lookin at the cetaphil cleanser, think i have some in my online boots basket.

Was thinking of adding Vichy serum (the one for dehydrated skin)

It's really getting me down, I feel quite self conscious about it and my 5 year old keeps mentioning them the lovely little boy hmmgrin

GingerFoxInAT0phat Wed 12-Aug-15 21:59:46

Yes I have been, it's only a sample size but has lasted forever. I usually use the gylcolic fix pads for everyday.

GingerFoxInAT0phat Wed 12-Aug-15 22:00:06

And thank you everyone who has replied, it's really helpful.

SacredHeart Wed 12-Aug-15 22:00:45

These look like my hormonal spots (same places too). Definitely don't touch as you can scar your skin and burst blood vessels leaving permanent red marks.

I use a lush spot cream called greased lightening with aloe Vera and tea tree in which is great for soothing them and clearing them up.

Indecisivejo Wed 12-Aug-15 22:03:05

Ok well I think that could be the problem. Do u even use the Clarins on the days u use the nip fab pads?
I think you are sensitising your skin by over exfoliating, use the clarins or the nip fab a couple times a week (only one or the other) see if that helps.

TRexingInAsda Wed 12-Aug-15 22:03:58

Yes it looks like acne and I'd probably see the GP if it doesn't go. On the plus side you have a very beautiful face - really nice bone structure, full lips, slim looking - the whole shebang! Good luck with your skin, I have mild acne too. I manage with cleanse-tone-moisturise with mn advice on products like cetaphil and acid toner. Also, everybody picks, it's impossible not to, don't worry about it. x

Indecisivejo Wed 12-Aug-15 22:05:39

Oh and can I ask what you think of the Avene thermal spray as don't know whether it's a beneficial a addition to my routine?

ovenchips Wed 12-Aug-15 22:07:28

Could it be pill (not sure which kind you're on) related? If, for example, you were on it a long while then stopped for a bit, it might cause a breakout.

If it is that (ie caused by your own hormones when there's no synthetic ones in your system) then there may be light at the end of the tunnel now you're back on it? Timings seem highly coincidental to me.

GingerFoxInAT0phat Wed 12-Aug-15 22:11:43

Sacred, I'm panicking that I may have burst a blood vessel on my chin -is this possible? There's lots of red spidery lines around it. shock

Indecisive - I'll definitely curb it, think I have gone into panic mode a bit and tried to blitz them away with acid based toners, really daft when I look with hindsight, thank you for the advice.

Trexing (love your nn grin) Thank you, must be a little hormonal as I teared up a little bit reading your post!

I'm thinking it could be a little of everything, run down, hormonal, too many exfoliating acids and the dreaded squeezing!

GingerFoxInAT0phat Wed 12-Aug-15 22:15:53

Indecisive - I don't think it adds much to the routine, but it's feels nice after I have attacked my skin blush
I spritz my face then add my night moisturiser, I read that it helps to lock in the moisture.

I also spritz a little over my make up to help 'melt' any powder so to say.

I do enjoy using it.

Ovenchips, it could be that, I am on the eastrogen (oh god I have no idea how to spell it blush) only pill so maybe I need to the extra hormones?

ovenchips Wed 12-Aug-15 22:29:15

I could be wrong but I think there's only 2 types of pill: a combined oestrogen/ progesterone pill and a progesterone only pill. Could yours be the progesterone only one?

I am pretty sure the progesterone only one is prescribed to control acne so it could well be that stopping taking it, for whatever length of time, caused the spots.

As I said, fingers crossed that if that's what it is, it should soon be remedied smile

GingerFoxInAT0phat Wed 12-Aug-15 23:10:37

Oh really, how silly of me! It's called cerelle, fingers crossed (if only to stop the squeezing grin)

Thanks for getting back to me!

ovenchips Thu 13-Aug-15 11:31:34

Cerelle is progesterone only. My best guess is that a gap in taking it has changed your skin. Hopefully temporarily!

I have awful skin now (in my 40s) after a lifetime of really good skin and zero acne. Was quite upset when my skin 'turned'. It's prob rosacea and hormonally influenced. But it sucks so I feel your pain at yours appearing.

Let's hope it's very short-lived for you. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now