Talk

Advanced search

Urgent help... my makeup drawer contains a grand total of 2 items...

(15 Posts)
GinInAJamJar Wed 12-Aug-15 12:13:47

... which between them if a child would be about to start secondary school.

One is a 7 year old pot of clinque foundation (separating), the other a 5 year old lipstick (used twice). Obviously both are heading for the bin.

But (and this is a big but) I'm being a bridesmaid on Saturday and the bride wants me to wear make up. No option of getting it done professionally (morning schedule is jammed) so I need to get some basics, and work out what to do with them, before then. The problem is I'm not even sure what the basics are.

And as an added bonus I have my 2 preschoolers with me today, and am working the rest of the week.

Please can someone suggest where I should go and what I should buy? Am in a city with most of the big department stores.

Dukketeater Wed 12-Aug-15 12:38:31

I'm assuming you have a budget under £50 here as most people won't spend more than that if they wear make-up so rarely...

A tinted moisturiser, bb or cc cream. Test it out on the top of your chest below your neck to get the beat colour match as then your face will match your body. SPF FREE or it'll show up as white in flash photography.

A brown mascara (black will look too heavy to you if you never wear it) I am a big fan of the l'oreal volume million lashes in black - I think they do a brown one.

Don't bother with eyeliner if you have no experience and its this weekend.

A clear brow gel (maybeline makes a good one) or one tinted a similar colour to your own will look nice and keep them neat for the day. I wouldn't try to fill them in if you don't have experience.

A nude eyeshadow palette. The ones by Make-up Revolution (sold in superdrug) are really good and only £4ish. You can youtube how to apply it. Also an eyeshadow primer - they also make a good one. Also a nice fluffy eyeshadow brush.

A blusher - hard to recommend a colour not knowing how you look but swatch on your hand and i'd say its probably ok to go for a delicate peachy/pinky colour for anyone. Bourjois ones are quite cheap and generic. Buy a brush the ones they come with are crap.

Lipstick again will be hard to recommend but its a long day so you need something thats easy to reapply like a tinted lip balm or that stays put like a lip stain. A tinted lip balm will probably suit you better if you don't wear make-up often. I'd go for something similar to your natural lip colour that just looks a little bit brighter. Use a clear lipliner (MUA in superdrug make one) to stop it feathering through the day.

Buy a make-up setting spray (again MUA in superdrug do a good one) to keep it nice all day.

If you can push the budget to a face primer too, the revolution (superdrug) one is only a couple of pounds and is good.

Hope that helps. Tried to stick to things I know you can find all in one place to make it easier with a toddler.

Dukketeater Wed 12-Aug-15 12:43:10

I am a fan of l'oreal true match foundation too, its not matte (despite that being my usual choice!) and its build-able so can be as light or as heavy as you want, easy to put on with your hands and the colour range is good.

This is a suggestion as an alternative to a tinted moisturiser/bb/cc cream as I think it'll look better in photos as slightly heavier. It does have SPF in it but doesn't show up as white in photos. (My bridesmaids wore it at my wedding)

WickedWax Wed 12-Aug-15 12:54:46

Go to one of the department stores, go to the Estee Lauder counter, get then to colour match you for foundation and make out like you're not sure, you don't usually wear foundation, etc etc and ask for a sample to take away, they usually give a sample of enough to last 10 days. That's foundation sorted.

Peachy/pink pale blusher - Superdrug MUA - £1.

I like Bourgeois for mascara, as the Pp said, get brown, it's much softer if you don't usually wear makeup.

Lipstick, I'd go for one of the pale peach or pink Revlon Lip Butters, they're sheer so you won't feel caked.

I wouldn't bother with eyeshadow/liner, etc, if you don't usually wear it then now's not the time to start experimenting!

If you can get to one of the brow bars and get your eyebrows shaped and tinted if needed, that would be good.

GinInAJamJar Wed 12-Aug-15 13:20:22

Dukketeater and WickedWax - thank you both so much for your comprehensive answers - I have now made a shopping list! Now just got to wait for DD to wake from nap

Dukketeater Wed 12-Aug-15 16:10:35

Good luck! Let us know how you get on. I would actually agree with the free double wear sample. I LOVE double wear but wouldn't have recommended buying a bottle if you don't wear it often but if you get a freebie sample its good!

GinInAJamJar Wed 12-Aug-15 19:10:07

The freebie sample was a fab idea but with 2 children in tow it was all about speed, so I opted for the true match foundation.

My makeup drawer is now far more populated (by my standards!) and consists of true match foundation, rimmel extra super lash brown mascara, a MUA brown eyeliner (the only makeup I consistently wore as a teenager), a MUA lip liner, a lipstick from House of Colour (found unopened, in theory in 'my' colour) and some MUA blusher.

Got the children to bed and decided to sod DHs dinner so had a little play. The 2 main things that have struck me (and maybe you might be able to help me with) are:

1- I look so much older! Fine lines I never knew I had now appear canyon-esque.

2- I need to hide my bags. Or make DD sleep through before Saturday. I think the former is the more realistic option...

Any/all suggestions gratefully received!

Lj8893 Wed 12-Aug-15 19:15:45

You need a concealer really to hide your bags, I know your working the rest of the week but could you get to a larger supermarket after work? They all sell make up. The collection concealer is brilliant, but any will do!

Not sure about your lines etc, but I think a primer could help with that or a powder?

GinInAJamJar Wed 12-Aug-15 19:23:55

What does one do with a primer or powder? When decorating plaster walls I slop on primer first, is the principle the same with my face?

[needs clueless smiley]

Lj8893 Wed 12-Aug-15 19:34:04

Yep primer first! And then powder on top of foundation, it will set it and should, in theory, stop it sinking into lines etc

ChishandFips33 Wed 12-Aug-15 19:46:37

I rarely wear make up so when I wear foundation I feel sooo conscious of it (even though it's blended etc as it feels like a mask/not me)
Now I don't bother and wear just blusher, mascara and lippy - because of the rarity everyone sees the difference - even DH notices!! Is this an option to skip the foundation stage?

Quintanimo Wed 12-Aug-15 19:54:37

I know you've shopped now - but I would have recommended tinted moisturiser rather than foundation.

And touché éclat or the boots No 7 copycat for the eye bags.

Dukketeater Wed 12-Aug-15 20:45:14

Good shopping!

If you moisturise about 15 mins before you put on your foundation too it should help it from caking into your lines. Try a bit more of the foundation under your eyes as its builadable so will help to cover the dark circles under your eyes

GinInAJamJar Wed 12-Aug-15 21:02:44

Thanks for the clarification Lj8893.

And I'm definitely with you ChishandFips - it really does feel like wearing a mask! I think the bride wants me in foundation though as she feels that without it I'll look too pale in the photos, and who is brave enough to can argue with the bride?!

Quintaimo I used to own touche eclat - it was awesome. Probably daft question but does it go under or over the foundation?

Finally - Dukketeater - thank you for your encouragement and recognition of my superior mummy and child shopping ability wink I was particularly proud of getting out of the shop with my youngest empty-handed (she has recently turned into quite the little shoplifter, much to my mortification). I'll give the moisturise first plan a go tomorrow evening.

<goes off to stare at her little makeup collection in wonderment>

Dukketeater Wed 12-Aug-15 21:45:47

Haha my two year old always rearranges the displays and puts nail varnishes and eye shadows in his pockets! I feel your pain...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now