Talk

Advanced search

1 day in London. Help me do a supermarket sweep type shopping dash.

(38 Posts)
LiquidAshTree Tue 11-Aug-15 08:32:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LiquidAshTree Tue 11-Aug-15 08:34:30

Chillipowderpuff Tue 11-Aug-15 08:40:09

Definitely Oxford Street. Selfridges do have a cheaper section on the ground floor with a small Top Shop etc, but rest is ££££. But have a look round anyway if you have time! Start at Oxford Street near Selfridges where there is a big Zara, then make your way along to Oxford Circus and go down Regent Street where there is a Massimo Dutti, Mango etc, and loads of other good shops. Enjoy!!

LiquidAshTree Tue 11-Aug-15 08:52:42

maybemyrtle Tue 11-Aug-15 09:08:26

I'd start at Bond Street and work down Oxford St towards Oxford Circus. Then down Regent St to Piccadilly and either walk or tube to Covent Garden for Lululemon and White Company. You will be exhausted after all that - have fun! smile

maybemyrtle Tue 11-Aug-15 09:11:54

...or (I think) everything you're looking for is in Covent Garden actually, that may be easier and less of a trek.

Allthegoodusernamesaretaken Tue 11-Aug-15 09:14:44

The Suqqu brow pen is ok, looks good but a bit of a faff to apply as the nib is so soft. I much prefer the Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz pencil, or her Dip Brow pomade if you're feeling more adventurous. You can buy both of these at Blow London which is more or less opposite Lululemon.

Duckstar Tue 11-Aug-15 09:22:47

Other option would be to do westfield at stratford or Shepherd's Bush. No fighting through tourists down Oxford St. All air conditioned. Lots of places to sit down and have a coffee. You could jump on the Central line to meet your husband for 3.

WingsClipped Tue 11-Aug-15 09:32:38

I was jumping in to suggest Westfield- the one in Shepherds Bush. Stratford one is rubbish because it doesn't have the village where all the high end stuff is as a Londoner I can't really tolerate Oxford street anymore. Wayyyy too many tourists meandering slowly and blocking up the entire pavement.

MaryBerrysEyelashes Tue 11-Aug-15 09:41:54

Regent street. Cos. mango. Zara. Cabana Republic. Gap. And uniqlo. Plus anthropologie if you like all that shit

MaryBerrysEyelashes Tue 11-Aug-15 09:43:24

Liquid. Re eyebrow pencils. I just got this
m.bobbibrowncosmetics.com/product/2327/35645/Makeup/Eyes/Brows/Perfectly-Defined-Long-Wear-Brow-Pencil/SS15

sansucre Tue 11-Aug-15 10:49:44

Just a note to say COS on Regent Street is currently closed for refurbishment. Nearest branches are Covent Garden and Selfridges 4th floor if you're planning on doing Oxford Street.

Happy shopping day OP!

Saurus72 Tue 11-Aug-15 12:06:36

I would go to Selfridges first, then go to Regent Street - the shops that others have posted about, plus take a look in & Other Stories, there can be some gems in there not too expensive either. Liberty also maybe? Lovely little beauty hall.

Then walk down Regent Street across to Covent Garden - that is one of my regular shopping circuits (excluding Selfridges), and is a really good mix of big flagship stores plus shops that don't exist/are difficult to get to outside London.

BelindaAllWorkedOut Tue 11-Aug-15 12:17:14

You need to go to Regent St / Oxford Circus, as that's where & Other Stories, and the other shops are. As someone said, Cos is closed. However, the Zara at Westfield is closed, so that's why I'm not suggesting Westfield for your shopping trip (I normally would, even though you miss & Other Stories, which I adore shopping in, even though I don't actually buy much from there). Also, the J Crew on Regent St is worth looking in, at the sale section.

Saurus72 Tue 11-Aug-15 12:36:33

Re: crowds on Oxford Street. Yes, agree. I hate Oxford Street with a passion - Regent Street is definitely crowded, but somehow it is a lot more tolerable, probably because so much of Oxford Street now is just tat/souvenir shops. If I were to drop anything from the recommendations, it would be Selfridges, as that way you would avoid having to walk down Oxford Street to get to Regent Street. If you can, I would suggest getting in early, having a coffee to set you up and then getting started as soon as the shops open - usually 10am, so not scarily early. I was on Regent Street yesterday, and when I left at 11am it was still OK, not too crowded.

LiquidAshTree Tue 11-Aug-15 12:40:54

LiquidAshTree Tue 11-Aug-15 12:41:51

PercyGherkin Tue 11-Aug-15 12:48:13

www.stories.com/gb/New_in

Actually owned by H&M I think. If you like Cos, you're kind of in their market. The one on Regent Street is where Mamas and Papas used to be if you haven't been in for a while!

Seriouslyffs Tue 11-Aug-15 12:54:55

'I will be there about 0830'
Don't rush- nothing's open until 10! Where are you coming from? We can recommend a fab breakfast/ walk/ things to see early!

& Other Stories? is lovely! I didn't know of them... Cos is also H&M I think.

SuperFlyHigh Tue 11-Aug-15 13:22:58

If you actually want a White Company shop in central London there isn't one - there's a concession in Selfridges. however 10 minute walk away is Marylebone High Street which has a White Company shop. It also has Whistles etc.

www.thewhitecompany.com/help/uk-stores/marylebone/.

The Zara from my recollection are on Oxford Street near Marble Arch, then further down near Bond Street, then another one just near H&M Oxford Circus, then cross that junction as if you're off to Tottenham Court Rd and there's another one on your right.

Regent Street also has one - nearer Piccadilly Circus.

St Christopher's Place has some smaller shops but also lovely outside pavement cafes and just off Oxford Street - I think if you head for Forever 21 there's an alleyway through to it.

www.stchristophersplace.com/

DragonRojo Tue 11-Aug-15 13:49:44

if you are there for 10am, it will not be crowded. I went to Oxford Street during lunch last week and it was fine. & other stories has great stuff this year.

MaryBerrysEyelashes Tue 11-Aug-15 14:20:24

i love Regent Street.

at the bottom tucked away is Wholefoods if oyu want to look at fools and their cash being easiy parted

SuperFlyHigh Tue 11-Aug-15 15:22:13

the 2 lullemon stores you'd find in London are Covent Garden (nearer to Regent St etc) and Kings Rd Chelsea which is more Knightsbridge area really.

maybemyrtle Tue 11-Aug-15 16:25:36

There's a White Company in Covent Garden too, very close to Lululemon in fact.

CloserToFiftyThanTwenty Tue 11-Aug-15 17:43:52

Of course you will need to go to Fortnum and Mason for afternoon tea to relax after all that shopping down Oxford St / Regent St... smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now