Talk

Advanced search

If you wear a suit to work… do you wear tights?

(26 Posts)
MarchelineWhatNot Tue 11-Aug-15 06:44:50

I never know what to do about this. On one hand I think tights look frumpy and old lady-ish. On the other hand, I think bare legs can look a bit scruffy.

What do other people do? I have a slight fake tan, if that helps. Thanks.

Nonnainglese Tue 11-Aug-15 06:51:29

I'd wear sheer tights as bare legs (tanned or not) don't seem quite right to me with a suit.

MuttonCadet Tue 11-Aug-15 06:52:52

Yes, always with a skirt suit.

RedCrayons Tue 11-Aug-15 06:56:09

Bare legs in summer but My office has a wall of big glass windows, facing the sun and no air conditioning. its like a sauna.
If I'm out and about I would wear sheer tights.

In winter it's freezing so thick opaques.

StealthPolarBear Tue 11-Aug-15 07:00:18

I often wonder about this.
If you're wearing a black suit would you wear sheer tights? Or do the tights need to be black too

caker Tue 11-Aug-15 07:02:00

Yep sheer ones in summer and thick ones in winter.

Bunbaker Tue 11-Aug-15 07:02:54

I don't think sheer tights look frumpy or old ladyish at all. They look much smarter than opaque tights with formal office wear.

Are you very young?

Always some sort of tights for me. I'm in Scotland though so it's rarely too warm

Nonnainglese Tue 11-Aug-15 07:12:59

You can get sheer black or nearly black tights too. Or hold-ups (but on me they have a tendency to either roll down or cut off the circulation!)
M&s do 'cooling tights', might be worth a look.

MarchelineWhatNot Tue 11-Aug-15 07:13:53

Are you very young?

Erm, no, why?

HeadDreamer Tue 11-Aug-15 07:30:33

The younger ones often don't wear tights. That's why the question I believe.

Alicekeach Tue 11-Aug-15 07:33:13

I wear opaque in winter and none in summer. My office has no air conditioning and is like an oven at the moment. Sheer tights are no good to me because they ladder as soon as I look at them!

MaryBerrysEyelashes Tue 11-Aug-15 07:34:47

This is why i wear trousers

FrancesOldhamKelseyRIP Tue 11-Aug-15 07:39:23

Surprising number of young women in the City still in black opaques except on really really hot days.

ZenNudist Tue 11-Aug-15 07:39:28

I would judge someone for not wearing tights, but you never ever see it in my office, young or old. If wearing a skirt /dress, wear tights.

Alicekeach Tue 11-Aug-15 07:44:00

If my bosses want me to wear tights they need to pay to install aircon!

Greenlamp1 Tue 11-Aug-15 08:10:32

So where are the best natural sheer tights to be got ? The not too shiny kind.

RedCrayons Tue 11-Aug-15 10:16:39

I like Boots ones.

JeanSeberg Tue 11-Aug-15 10:21:39

M&S nude cooling:

m.marksandspencer.com/mt/www.marksandspencer.com/7-denier-bare-cooling-sheer-oiled-tights/p/p20109110?jsrl=stop&un_jtt_redirect

Sgtmajormummy Tue 11-Aug-15 10:46:01

Yes and they are the bane of my life! Cheap ones LOOK cheap (sort of spongey), expensive ones, often around £4 for posh Italian ones, nark me off when they get laddered (as they all do). I always carry a spare pair just in case. They are uncomfortable and sweaty to wear, ride down to mid thigh and although I've never had it, I'm constantly suspicious of athlete's foot.
The worst thing is when I take them off at night and they're a flabby ghost of my legs...
Men don't have these problems, which narks me off even more!

HeadDreamer Tue 11-Aug-15 12:49:06

sgt men have ties. I think we are even on this.

Though no I don't wear tights to work except wooly ones in winter. zennudist you can judge all you like. I'm in software and you are definitely looked at as not a doer but a talker if you wear a suit or tights.

Nonnainglese Tue 11-Aug-15 13:08:52

M&s?

Sgtmajormummy Tue 11-Aug-15 14:07:52

Head, at least ties are a one-off buy for men. smile DH regularly wears ties that belonged to his father. I feel more sorry for men and shaving.

Tights are a running expense (excuse the pun) and quite a large one. I don't know about other people, but I easily go through a pair a week. Even at £2 a pair, we're talking £100 a year on pure conformism.

Yes, tight ARE conformist, as are business suits (M&F), but if your job entails making first impressions every single day, you put up with it. That's not to say I like it, though.

CamelHump Tue 11-Aug-15 14:09:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lndnmummy Tue 11-Aug-15 14:19:30

I would not dream of wearing a suit without tights. Very light ones in the summer and more opaque in the winter. Some summer days I wear smarter dresses and depending on style I do not always wear tights with them but with a suit - always.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now