Talk

Advanced search

Growing out a pixie cut

(10 Posts)

I've just been leaving it to grow for a few months, so now have a rather lovely mullet. Any advice as to what I should ask the hairdresser to do to it? Am not a hair person, and the most I'm likely to be bothered to do with it is whack the straighteners through it, so nothing that requires loads of blowdrying faff etc.

Rubbishfeminist Mon 10-Aug-15 11:28:29

Remus I've been growing out a pixie for about a year and I'm just coming out of the mullet stage into the weird-looking bob stage. For me there wasn't really anything the hairdresser could do with scissors apart from keeping the ends neat and in good condition. I always asked her not to take too much off so it never looked any different after I'd been the hairdressers.

I think avoiding the mullet look is all in the styling. Is it long enough to clip back into a quiff at the front? What about scarves? There's a great website with ideas for styling a growing pixie. Let me see if I can find it...

Rubbishfeminist Mon 10-Aug-15 11:31:29

This is a good one but not the one I was thinking of: www.xovain.com/hair/how-to-grow-out-a-pixie-cut

TheMagicToyshop Mon 10-Aug-15 11:31:40

I was considering it a while ago and my hairdresser told me that the best approach is to grow the front out first, whilst keeping a slightly shorter choppy style at the back. Then grow the back to match once you have more to work with in the front. I assume this is to avoid the mullet look, and you can style the front hair to cover up the most awkward back stage. I haven't actually dared go for it yet, but I would imagine any good hairdresser would know their stuff.

Rubbishfeminist Mon 10-Aug-15 11:35:03

I think this is the one I was thinking of: lostinaspotlessmind.com/2012/10/how-to-style-a-pixie-cut/

JacD0 Mon 10-Aug-15 14:45:28

I'm 8 months into growing out my pixie.

I've been getting the ends at the back trimmed iykwimconfused

Takes so bastard long to growngrin

Thank you all.

Currently it's a bit like this although obviously I am much older and nowhere near as lovely. I really like this but the sides aren't long enough for it yet.

I can quiff it without it looking too awful, but scarves don't seem to work at all well on me. I guess I'll have to brave a trip to the hairdresser.

I like that, 'Spotless Mind' blog, thanks. Good to see somebody without absolute supermodel looks, for a change!

LadyintheRadiator Mon 10-Aug-15 19:02:41

I have just about grown mine out now though my hair is still pretty short - jaw length bob I suppose - I've just been having it trimmed at the back until the sides and front grew down. Now I've had a bit of a fringe cut in, swept to the side not straight which helps but that's preference as I can't do one length hair.

Am currently sporting a very untidy version of this which I'm rather pleased with! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now