Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone point me at specific bits of clothes or Pinterest boards to help me look expensive (with a new look budget!)

(6 Posts)
twirlypoo Sun 09-Aug-15 21:15:48

Ds is starting nursery school in September and the other mums give me the fear a bit. It's very much range rovers and expensive highlights territory. I'm a single mum with very little money and I want to fit in as best I can.

I know the how to looked groomed / french thing comes up on here a lot so I'm going to advance search that. However, I would be eternally grateful if someone could point me in the direction of some concrete stuff I could go out and buy! Pinterest ideas also incredibly welcome as I don't know where to begin!

I 5ft 2 and a size 14 with huge boobs and a massive tummy. I have never worn am accessory In my life as I feel that scarves / necklaces are sat on the shelf of my boobs grin I am doing the shred to try lose half a stone at least too.

I have about £300 tops, and would ideally like my hair / nails / eyebrows done out of that too. So probs £200 to chuck at this.

I prob need a handbag and shoes too. Loafer type things?

Please please help if you can, I have been worrying about this for months and it's become a bit of a thing for me (I used to go to school with a few of the other mums and know they are nice, I just want to fit in and not look like the poor single mum beside them)

Quickchangeup Sun 09-Aug-15 22:19:42

Really you shouldn't worry what anyone thinks, equally people shouldn't judge you based on how you dress. However, I can understand where you are coming from so my tips would be to buy well fitting clothes in natural fabrics. Iron everything so it looks neat and well cared for. Invest in quality rather than quantity when it comes to shoes and bags. Sales shopping is brilliant, I never buy anything at full price, I always wait for the sales as you get more for your money. Can you do your nails/eyebrows yourself to save cash for clothes? Good luck with the shred! smile

ChishandFips33 Mon 10-Aug-15 00:50:58

Invest in a couple of good, supportive bras?? ..not M&S ones

Search bra intervention for help

Everything you wear builds on this and will look immediately better if everything is sitting better makes tummy look flatter too

CordeliaFoxx Mon 10-Aug-15 00:55:00

You're the same size as me, maybe a couple nice blazers, some jeans, pair of boots and some tops to go with it? Cardigans are quite forgiving too.

twirlypoo Mon 10-Aug-15 06:42:49

I have 2 lovely bras that I think fit really well (they are both Freya from bravissimo range) but I will get that double checked as I agree, good bras make all the difference!

Is there any brands of jeans you would recommend for someone with a huge stomach? I am currently the proud owner of 1 pair (new look skinny high waisted) and they look good but are constantly rolling down and annoying me!

Are there any shops or brands you would recommend that are quality and won't make me look like the poor relation but equally don't cost the earth? If I could even get 1 pair jeans and 2 tops that would be enough I think, and I could build on it.

Thank you for your replies, I'm very grateful!

Deeznutz Mon 10-Aug-15 08:10:36

Have a look around this site to see how to build up a capsule wardrobe and how to vary it really cheaply.- here

With respect to jeans I think Next lift slim and shape are the best for flattering a stomach. If you look in the clearance section early in the morning they often turn up half price.

Settle on three colours and write a list out as to what you need and what are your most flattering cuts. For basic tops I like Boden Bretons and lightweight boatneck tops. They flatter a large stomach/big norkage.

Personally I like tan or chocolate for bags and shoes as it works well with grey,navy and black.

My advice would be to buy good quality but not identifiable stuff in natural materials. Keep an eye on eBay for cashmere to make it affordable. Keep accessories to a minimum, nails pretty short with clear varnish and make-up subtle.

I don't know if you like brogues but there is a pair in Next Clerance at the moment by Hudson which are one of my best buys in ages. They go with everything, are butter soft to wear and all leather so repairable for years- £60. If you want all leather boots -buy them, direct from Spain for a third of the price Toast sell them for from Valverde del camino. They will last you years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now