Talk

Advanced search

Posh wedding.. Help!

(38 Posts)
duckyneedsaclean Sun 09-Aug-15 21:15:30

So we've been invited to a v posh wedding this Saturday. I have faffed and not bought anything to wear and need help!

The brides parents are a Sir & lady and the wedding party is back at the family pile. It's a day do, ending at 6.30pm.

My budget is about 100, and I'm a size 10/12, 5ft 7 tall.

Argh it's so soon! And so posh! And daytime! Help please?

AuntieStella Sun 09-Aug-15 21:22:13

What's your usual style?

You need the smartest version of that. Too radical a difference, and you'll feel like an imposter all day. Advantage of truly posh us that they won't say if do anything that leaves you uncomfy.

I would however avoid white (and near whites), black, shiny and see through for a trad daytime do.

duffcake Sun 09-Aug-15 21:25:29

The smartest weddings I've been to have had the least overdressed guests.
Simple stylish dress, good shoes, great bag.

There are some fantastic finders of great frocks on here, I hope they're not on holiday.

duckyneedsaclean Sun 09-Aug-15 21:36:53

Thanks. I usually go for a maxi dress for weddings, but I'm wondering if long dresses are more 'eveningy'?

I've got a cracking bruise on one calf though so would have to go for leg make up with a knee length!

Gruach Sun 09-Aug-15 21:39:33

So what do you have and who can you borrow from? (Bearing in mind the realities of days and ££.)

Is there one thing in your wardrobe around which you could build an outfit? Shoes? A piece of jewellery? A jacket?

Assuming that everyone you know won't also be there in their best clothes could anyone lend you something precious (or even vaguely suitable)? Then you can spend your budgeted amount on whatever's missing.

duckyneedsaclean Sun 09-Aug-15 21:47:25

I have a couple of niceish maxi possibilities- one coral with gold belt, one Navy with sheer bit at top. Just not sure if maxis are the 'done thing'.

calzone Sun 09-Aug-15 21:49:40

Phase 8 has some beautiful dresses in at the moment for under £50.

duckyneedsaclean Sun 09-Aug-15 21:49:44

My friend who knows more posh people than me days I need a fascinator. Really?

MyFriendsCallMeOh Sun 09-Aug-15 21:51:53

Maxi dress would be fine. Ime, there's an element of eccentricity with aristocracy which gives you a bit more leeway than with WAG-type weddings......

duckyneedsaclean Sun 09-Aug-15 21:52:04

www.phase-eight.com/fcp/product/phase-eight/dresses/amaya-lace-dress/203030751

Thanks for the phase 8 tip! Thoughts on this?

sofato5miles Sun 09-Aug-15 21:54:29

Lovely dress. Do you have a smart fitted jacket and a broach to go with?

daisydalrymple Sun 09-Aug-15 21:55:14

You could always browse ebay for a safe brand eg lk Bennett and look at buy it now or sort by ending soon. There are some true bargains to be had if you have a couple of hours to browse. - worn once or twice to the type of wedding you're going to smile

I'm Not upper class posh me though, so other labels don't trip off my lips / keyboard easily!

BikeRunSki Sun 09-Aug-15 21:55:45

Friend of mine went to a wedding that was covered by "Hello". She went to a personal shopper at John Lewis, with a similar budget, explained what she wanted an outfit for and they were excellent.

daisydalrymple Sun 09-Aug-15 21:57:06

Ahh cross posted! You've found one, wow that's lovely and classic.

duckyneedsaclean Sun 09-Aug-15 22:00:56

Some comfort gained from the comments about really posh people being a bit more laid back! I don't think I'd be able to keep a straight face with a personal shopper.

No daisy no smart jacket. And actually on reflection it would show off my fat knees blush

duckyneedsaclean Sun 09-Aug-15 22:01:54

Or maybe I should just go for it. Ahhh

burnishedsilver Sun 09-Aug-15 22:03:03

I was at a wedding like that and some of the men were dressed like Rupert the Bear. There's definately a touch of eccentricity.

butmumineedit Sun 09-Aug-15 22:04:58

Lovely dress, but just a word of caution that Phase eight are terribly slow at sending out stuff that you order online , so maybe get to John Lewis and have a look

butmumineedit Sun 09-Aug-15 22:05:44

Lovely dress, but just a word of caution that Phase eight are terribly slow at sending out stuff that you order online , so maybe get to John Lewis and have a look

duckyneedsaclean Sun 09-Aug-15 22:09:32

Oh really butmum ? Maybe I shall just get down to John Lewis in the morning.

calzone Sun 09-Aug-15 22:24:06

Go in and try lots of things on.

I like a fascinator but know others hate them.

Millymollymama Sun 09-Aug-15 22:26:28

Do not wear a fascinator! Absolutely not posh - it's a look for the cheap enclosure at Royal Ascot but they are banned in the Royal Enclosre. That tells you they are not chic. A saucer hat like Carole Middleton wears is suitable. Or a pill box as favoured by her daughters. Check out sales. Look at photos in Tatler, not Hello! LK Bennett is perfect. Jaeger sale might have something. Jacques Vert or Coast may have something left. Navy and cream always looks good. A lace dress with a pashmina would be fine for next weekend or a modern floral. No to a maxi dress too! Looks like Ibiza beach wear, not wedding day wear. Look at photos of Glorious Goodwood for ideas on how to dress for a summer day wedding. Smart but not stuffy.

AuntieStella Sun 09-Aug-15 22:48:42

A substantial fascinator is fine.

I think your friend probably means that hats will be worn, and so you need something on your head. Clips and some fascinators look like something random has landed on your head, and should therefore be avoided. Especially wispy/shiny things.

But the sorts worn by the Royals for weddings are fine.

Dowser Mon 10-Aug-15 09:45:18

Dress is lovely but no fascinator.

I always think people will look at photographs in years to come and think what the hell was I thinking of sticking that on my head.

bettyberry Mon 10-Aug-15 09:54:40

Get a nice tea dress, big florals would look lovely or something smart but simple probably one that sits around your knee. Not too much sparkle. A scarf or something to cover your arms if the dress is sleeveless and when it comes to heels don't bother at all with stilettos. Stick to courts esp if its going to be outside. Easier to walk on the grass in!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now