Talk

Advanced search

Help a waistless woman find a flattering summer dress?

(24 Posts)
ElizaPickford Sun 09-Aug-15 21:05:07

I'm going on holiday and it's going to be just nicely warm, 25 degrees (ish - so actually not that different to here right now!) but I'm running out of time and just don't feel like I've got my summer wardrobe sorted.

I'm 5'9, have massive norks, no waist and a BMI of 26. I want something casual I can just throw on and presentable but not too dressed up as will mainly be walking around cities or in forests - ideally in cotton.

Lack of waist means that I can't wear anything with a low waist band or I look like a sack of spuds. V- neck is good with the norks. Not too shapeless or I look twice the size.

This dress doesn't actually exist, does it? Help!

farmerslife Sun 09-Aug-15 21:22:52

I am waist less and short and of medium norkage and have loved the t shirt style dresses from seasalt or the skirts from there with a wrap t shirt for this summer.

MiceElfAgin Sun 09-Aug-15 21:27:37

I got one of these after seeing someone in the pink version and really like it. It's cool, it has pockets and it was under £30 inc postage from eBay.
It goes in slightly at the hem . It is linen. I'm going to try a non spotty one next.

ElizaPickford Sun 09-Aug-15 21:34:13

Hadn't thought of seasalt- one of my favourite skirts ever was from there, I've worn it literally hundreds of times, will go and check.

Mice - a dress like that keeps popping up on my timeline, are they Italian?

MiceElfAgin Sun 09-Aug-15 21:42:49

Yes! They are made in Italy !
Described as Lagenlook ( layered look) .
To be honest there are some loose stitches but I really like it and I've had a few compliments on it.

ElizaPickford Sun 09-Aug-15 22:09:08

I suppose i need something like this but I'm not wild about the colour.

Everything seems to be really low waisted this year, am really struggling! sad

Bunbaker Sun 09-Aug-15 22:12:29

The link doesn't work for me.

ElizaPickford Sun 09-Aug-15 22:23:47

How about this? grin

Bunbaker Sun 09-Aug-15 22:33:56

The style would suit you I think. I hate the colours, but ignore me on that.

ElizaPickford Sun 09-Aug-15 22:54:05

No, I agree. It's going to be jeans all the way at this rate...

ImLizawithaZ Sun 09-Aug-15 22:57:33

Pepperberry sells dresses that flatters big norks smile

Notnownotthen Sun 09-Aug-15 23:02:59

Monsoon are great for that kind of figure, and getting cheaper. They even have some that make you look like you have a waist. 50s kind of style...

Notnownotthen Sun 09-Aug-15 23:05:19

The non-fitted ones like this are comfy and slimming too: us.monsoon.co.uk/view/product/us_catalog/mon_1,mon_1.2/7455456108

lovestea Sun 09-Aug-15 23:17:55

Hi Mice, those dresses are lovely. Could you post a link or a brand name? Thanks.

www.fatface.com/maxi-dresses/bea-liana-maxi-dress/invt/906014 ? They have different prints too.

nannyplumislostinspace Tue 11-Aug-15 14:00:39

I second fat face. The hemsly dress is super flattering and comes in lots of colours. I've got 4!
www.fatface.com/dresses/hemsley-temple-tiles-dress/invt/904004#ff_colour=Ivory

hoedown Tue 11-Aug-15 16:19:28

The Newport dress and the Venice beach dress by Hush might be worth a look. Sorry I don't know how to link.

ProjectPerfect Tue 11-Aug-15 17:46:30

I'm short of body, no waist and largish breasts (32E) after many years I've realised the only thing to do is to through money at the problem.

Well fitted dresses in heavy cotton are way forward - Karen millen had some lovely ones this summer but £££ for the just thrown on look.

goodasitgets Tue 11-Aug-15 17:46:59

I am hourglass but generous boobs
Things I have recently bought
m.asos.com/mt/www.asos.com/ASOS/ASOS-Midi-Dress-in-Blurred-Check-with-Tie-Belt/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=5371324&un_jtt_application_platform=newPlp&un_jtt_redirect#

and a dorothy Perkins twist tall sundress but doesn't appear to be online any more

ElizaPickford Sun 16-Aug-15 08:51:08

Thank you- tried Monsoon but nothing doing in my local shop and turns out am to tall for Fatface! sad I have found some tall linen pants though...

ElizaPickford Sun 16-Aug-15 08:52:05

too tall! Kindle typing hmm

TheyreMadITellYouMaaaad Sun 16-Aug-15 09:06:57

I have your dress, Eliza!

Long, stretchy (viscose jersey, easy-care), slightly tailored (good shape, flow-y but not fluttery), v-neck, colourful (hides a multitude of issues!) and came from the most improbable place: Edinburgh Wollen Mill!

I only stepped in to buy socks for my mum, and the dress just leaped out at me and begged me to take it on holiday. So I did. Wore it with a little cream short-sleeved cropped cardie during the day, and a drapey, dressy shrug in the evening.

Ohanarama Sun 16-Aug-15 21:35:03

I'm a similar shape to you op and I've literally scoured the shops for dresses this summer. I second Pepperberry as having the best choice and they recently had lots on sale - this might still be on. All their dresses have decent width straps to hide your bra strap and they are often quite fitted at the waist and then flare out a bit, giving an artificial nipped in look to your waist. They also have quite a few knee length dresses which I like - long dresses make be feel boiling on holiday. Hope you manage to get something smile

ItsAllGoodMan Mon 17-Aug-15 07:32:20

I got some nice fitted cotton dresses from People Tree this summer. I'd imagine they still have some in the sale. My bust is big (32g) and they have enough room to accommodate this!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now