Talk

Advanced search

Adult braces havent completely worked

(12 Posts)
LMonkey Sun 09-Aug-15 20:58:33

I feel a bit silly posting this. I'm 32, had fixed braces since October last year to correct 'minor' re-crowding as I had braces in my late teens but wasn't properly advised on how long to wear my retainer for (turns out it should be for ever). My bottom teeth were worse than my top teeth, however my top teeth were actually the ones I was more bothered about as you see them more when I smile. It was just a case of my right incisor (I think??! The tooth next to my front tooth?) moving back slightly and tucking behind my front tooth. We are only talking millimetres, but in terms of teeth this movement made quite a difference to my smile (or at least I think so) and certainly made me less happy with my teeth. Anyway I am due to get my braces taken off in about 7 weeks and my bottom ones are now perfectly straight but my top teeth really don't look any different. I can see that they're still not perfectly in line. What worries me is that I don't think my orthodontist saw much wrong with my top teeth so perhaps just isn't bothering with them? But then what was the point in me having the top braces on?! Is it possible that this final movement will take place in the next few weeks before my braces come off? I just thought because my top teeth are only considered to be 'minor' crowding that they would have straightened out really quickly. If it gets to about a week before my appt and they're still not perfect I'm going to have to phone up and tell them I'm not happy, and I really don't want to do that. Its just that I've gone through all this at the age of 32 (not ideal),paid money (although I got a reduced rate as I was a previous patient) so I really don't want my teeth to be anything less than perfect.

Anyone experienced something similar? Any advice please?

ImperialBlether Sun 09-Aug-15 21:05:06

My son has something similar going on at the moment. He had a brace as a teenager and stopped wearing the retainer. Now at 23 he's got an invisalign (?) brace on his top and bottom teeth. He said his bottom teeth have quickly moved into place but his top teeth, which didn't need to move as much, haven't moved much at all. He's going to ask the dentist if he can look at the photos taken at every visit to check movement has occurred (as the dentist swears it has.)

You shouldn't sign off until you are really happy with your teeth. Don't worry about having a discount; that doesn't affect your rights.

LightsOnNotIn Sun 09-Aug-15 21:12:31

I am in my forties and I'm nearing the end with my braces. I have fixed ones top and bottom. Pm me if you'd like to... I'm typing slowly on a tablet, so will be brief. My dentist had always asked me if I'm happy with the way my teeth look, and won't take the braces off unless I'm happy. Your dentist should have this attitude.

ginagslovechild Sun 09-Aug-15 21:19:14

I had invisalign, my top were awful, bottom slightly bad. I wore the braces for 18 months and it was only in the last weeks that my bottom teeth moved, the dentist focused on the top as they were pretty bad.
As pp said above, you don't have to accept the finished result if you're not happy, you're paying for it!

EldonAve Sun 09-Aug-15 21:22:05

you might end up keeping the top braces for longer, has the ortho said they are definitely coming off?

LMonkey Sun 09-Aug-15 22:42:45

Thanks for your replies.

I haven't properly tackled my ortho about it tbh, he's very nice and I have sort of said to him at previous visits "so my top teeth are still moving?" to which he would generally say "well they're pretty straight anyway" and I did show him the teeth on top that I was concerned about. There was a small gap that was created so that those teeth could be pulled into place but despite that gap no longer being there the teeth don't look much better, if at all.

Yes my next appt is booked as the removal appt, and to have moulds taken for the retainer (which due to ortho being away, will not be fitted until nearly a week later, another thing that concerns me), so he thought that by that point my teeth would be ready. I again asked him if they were still moving and he said "just tiny movements" but I suppose they are tiny movements anyway!

I kind of wish I had pressed him more about it at my last appt, as if I'm not happy with them at my next appt it will mean having to have the braces on for longer whereas perhaps if I had said so he might have taken more notice and tightened them more or whatever so that they would be ready for next time. I can't wait to get them off!

Gobbolinothewitchscat Sun 09-Aug-15 22:49:14

My DH is a dentist and does 6 month smile and Invisalign

He says definitely does to the ortho and chat through any concerns. Obviously he doesn't know your situation but apparently one reason you may have had the braces on the top is just to make a subtle change which would have bee needed as your "bite" would have changed due to the movement in the bottom

Further, what can be done is limited by the available space in your mouth - if you had extractions then that would create more space but, if not, then that limits things

You can have something called enamel stripping which does create a bit more room so that might be an option to discuss

Finally, the ortho will have s treatment Ilan for you that will include likely outcomes. That should have been discussed before any treatment started but it might be worth asking to go over it again

Hope this helps a bit and I've got it all down correctly (he's bellowing at me from the shower!)

LMonkey Sun 09-Aug-15 23:10:16

Awww thanks Gobbolinothewitchscat!

My top teeth aren't that overcrowded, so I can't imagine space is that much if a problem for such a tiny movement, especially seeing as they have been straight before and this is a re-straightening. He managed to make room for my bottom teeth by filing them down so he could do that on top if need be? What your husband says about only having braces on top to correct the bite sounds like it could be worryingly true, and I had just assumed all along that my top teeth would be perfectly straight again.

Well I will be certainly voicing my concerns if I'm not happy at about a week before my removal date rather than just turn up for a longer appt and say so then. In the long run I will be very upset if I've been through this and come out less than happy.

Gobbolinothewitchscat Sun 09-Aug-15 23:14:07

You're very welcome.

Definitely agree that you must say if you're not happy - the ortho would want to know, in any event

I'm about to embark on 6 months smile after our baby is born and I will certainly be making all and any of my concerns clear grin

LMonkey Sun 09-Aug-15 23:21:29

Wow, I've read good stuff about the 6 months smile, they don't seem to do it in my area. Hope it gives really well for you smile

LMonkey Sun 09-Aug-15 23:22:54

*hope it goes really well for you lol

Gobbolinothewitchscat Sun 09-Aug-15 23:39:00

Thank you. Hope you get sorted out with ortho - sure you will

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now