Talk

Advanced search

Help a makeup virgin look like an adult!

(21 Posts)
Thisismyface Sat 08-Aug-15 20:38:26

Please help! NCed for this obviously as it has my face in :P

I'm 24 and fed up with being mistaken for a young teen - I work in a public-facing role and have been asked twice in the past couple of weeks if I was doing my work experience.

I've never tried makeup as I have really terrible coordination and can't imagine how I'd make it look right. Where on earth can I start?? Not bothered about looking particularly stylish; in an ideal world 'professional and responsible' is how I'd like to look...

As you can tell I'm pale, freckly and ginger, if that changes anything at all!

All help appreciated!

Jo4040 Sat 08-Aug-15 20:47:11

Hmmmm....well what are you more botherd about? Eyes, mouth,skin?

I think if you have your eyes done then they make you really stand out, just abit of mascara! Tiny bit and blusher would help smile

CherryBonBon Sat 08-Aug-15 20:47:46

First of all you are so bloody pretty you have me feeling like an old hag envy grin .

My advice would be to go for a very light and natural look that emphasises your already lovely features.

A BB cream/tinted moisturiser that evens your complexion out without hiding your freckles.

A wee bit of concealer under your eyes.

A light peachy pink blush swirled on the apples of your cheeks.

You could lightly fill in your brows. Tinted brow gels are great for a natural look.

Eye-shadow: golds and coppers will look incredible. Browns too. Use a primer and then just sweep the colour over the moving part of your eyelid blending in windscreen wiper motions at your crease.

Also a green eye pencil (olive or
khaki coloured) smudged at the base of your lashes would look amazing.

Some mascara, a tinted balm (Maybeline Baby Lips are great).

Oh and YouTube is the best resource for finding makeup inspiration!

CamelHump Sat 08-Aug-15 20:50:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bonzo77 Sat 08-Aug-15 20:51:34

You are absolutely beautiful and I really would t go overboard. Certainly don't hide the freckles. My SIL has your colouring. She uses brown mascara and eyeliner, a little bronzer instead of blusher, highlighter on her cheek bones and something to darken her brows, powder I think. Quite often she gets her brows and lashes tinted. She wears eyeshadow in browney colours if she's going out.

Thisismyface Sat 08-Aug-15 21:00:37

Oh gosh so many helpful (and lovely!) replies already! Thank you all so much!

I have questions already though...

Jo4040 I really don't have any particular ideas about emphasising any features, just wondering what others would do with my face :P

CherryBonBon Ooh thank you for so many ideas - do you have any specific (preferably purchasable from Boots or Superdrug or Sainsburys) recommendations?

CamelHump I've just Googled Bobbi Brown and the nearest one is miles from me (tiny town in the middle of nowhere) but they do seem to have loads of lessons online so that's really helpful, thanks!

bonzo77 Can I ask what colour (and type) of eyeliner your sister uses? My colouring does seem to make everything else harder!

bonzo77 Sat 08-Aug-15 22:25:14

I'm 99% it's a bobby brown one.

bonzo77 Sat 08-Aug-15 22:26:03

That's the brand. It's brown pencil.

NeverNic Sat 08-Aug-15 22:41:04

I would second getting your eyelashes and eyebrows tinted. When mine are done I need far less makeup (which would suit you) and a good eyebrow really defines your eyes, giving you a more polished look. It also takes away the challenge of matching colours for an eyebrow pencil.

I'm definitely an 'eyes' person, but I wonder if with a more defined Brow, a tiny bit of natural mascara, a smudge of brown kohl eyeliner (easiest eyeliner in the world, though a gel liner will last longer and is pretty easy to master), you'd look incredible with a stronger lip colour. You have great shaped lips and to me lipstick is far more grown up. It looks polished and professional. You can also take a stronger lip than you'd imagine.

PearHead Sat 08-Aug-15 23:01:23

OP, you're so beautiful! If you're not really into make-up and it's just for work purposes, I'd suggest keeping it simple. How about a bit of black or brown mascara on your top lashes and a bold lipstick. Like the previous poster, I always think a strong lip colour, confidently worn, is key to that polished-and-professional workplace look that some women seem to rock.

BlueberryMuffins76 Sun 09-Aug-15 07:50:12

Rimmed make a khaki eye pencil which is gorgeous and would look amazing on you!

misslemonsfilingcabinet Sun 09-Aug-15 08:24:08

Please don't use too much, you are lovely looking. I agree a bit of definition round the eyes- light mascara and thin eyeliner. Clinique chubby sticks are great and smooth, well cut hair. Your skin is beautiful and I'd leave it along. I'd avoid eyeshadow etc like the plague but have a play around and see what looks you like. Don't forget hair, nails and clothes are important in that professional look !

Carpaccio Sun 09-Aug-15 09:36:12

Sharon Farrell on youtube has similar colours to you and her videos are very good, so I would recommend having a look at them. There are quite a few videos for natural looks.

I would start with brows - have them shaped and tinted. Not too much though.
Mascara and very subtle liner - I'd go for tightlining. Dark brown would work, black might be too harsh for you.

Your skin looks good, so it would be a pity covering it with products.

Maybe a nice lipstick/tinted balm would be nice too. A type of 'my lips but better' colour.

I personally feel that putting my hair up makes me look more professional and responsible than having my hair down.

readyforno2 Sun 09-Aug-15 09:51:42

I have very similar colouring to you op. Yy to eyebrow shaping and tinting, just bear in mind that you will feel they are REALLY dark when you first get them done. Ginger hair is notoriously difficult to colour and they may need to leave it on for a wee while for the colour to take.
I have a factor 50 Bbcream (let's face it, we need a high factor)

readyforno2 Sun 09-Aug-15 09:54:36

Ahh! I hate this app angry
m.lookfantastic.com/la-roche-posay-anthelios-xl-comfort-tinted-bb-cream-spf-50-50ml/11091804.html it goes on really nicely and looks great. I just use a tiny bit of eyeliner and some mascara and lip balm.

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Sun 09-Aug-15 09:55:12

Eyebrows and eyelashes would make such a difference that you probably wouldn't even need to bother with makeup. You're so young and you have lovely skin, but pale lashes and brows really makes a face look young and undefined.
I tint my eyebrows at home, about £12 for the tint and peroxide that lasts literally hundreds of applications. I tried my lashes but it didn't come out well. You could tint your brows and just use a good mascara, would take seconds.

SuperFlyHigh Sun 09-Aug-15 11:26:28

i agree about not going overboard - I know someone with similar colouring but she trowels her face in foundation, eyeliner and bright red lipstick, even for a daytime look not at work!

eyeliner and mascara add definition to the eyes but maybe an eyeshadow would work rather than eyeliner.

you could try a lighter natural lipstick. Colour - if you're getting any blusher I'd suggest cream blusher - far more flattering than powder.

you also need to work out if you want to wear makeup at night and if so what as you'll need to tailor it to suit.

Tilda Swinton reminds me slightly of you in colouring and Lily Cole.

You do have stunning skin and are very pretty so please don't use it as a mask.

Wolpertinger Sun 09-Aug-15 12:33:07

You are lovely looking, please don't cover it up!

If you really really want to do something then mascara and brows would highlight your features. Your skin is gorgeous and don't cover it up!

Benefit Gimme Brow is v easy to use for a 'my brows but better' if you have the pale shade. I like Boots No 7 mascara in the gold tube (after recommended on here) - brown is more natural looking than black but most love the black!

And if you want a lipstick, I'd also vote for Clinique Chubby Sticks.

Jo4040 Sun 09-Aug-15 15:38:54

Yh I'd agree, don't go spoiling yourself with too much makeup, nothing looks worse. Focus on the eyes. Then you will probs feel better and see a difference.

Deeznutz Sun 09-Aug-15 15:39:10

Agree with everyone else-you have lovely tudor-esque features.

To enhance I would get a palette from MUA (superdrug)and use the ivories/creams on the eyelid. Next buy a retractable eyeliner in brown and line your eye from corner to the end and flick it out slightly. Brown mascara -one coat on the bottom and two for the top lashes.

Dust some translucent powder over your skin- but very lightly.

Finish with Clinique black honey lip.

chumbler Sun 09-Aug-15 16:21:18

I'd say go to a beauty counter so they can show you how to do it - ask lots of questions! I too don't wear much makeup but the beauty counter ladies are lovely and so helpful!

try clinique beauty counter?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now