Talk

Advanced search

Rockabilly styling ...

(9 Posts)
Mum4Fergus Fri 07-Aug-15 19:24:44

Soooo, for many years I've never considered myself as having a 'style', jeans n tshirt kinda girl really! However I was recently dragged along to a vintage fair, and, well, I think I'm a little bit in love!!

Not having been a follower of fashion before, I'm relying on Google for ideas but I'm wondering if anyone has any tips, idea, recommendations for places to shop the rockabilly style?!

TIA x

HarrietSchulenberg Fri 07-Aug-15 19:36:30

Soho's have some lovely dresses. I keep eyeing them up but think I'm a bit old for them.

INeedEarplugs Sat 08-Aug-15 00:36:36

Hell Bunny brand smile I think there are some stockists in UK.

hettiebaby Sat 08-Aug-15 00:45:33

Pretty kitty fashion!! I bought a dress from their website today! Loads of beautiful stuff. Quite well priced as well!

HelenF35 Sat 08-Aug-15 01:07:01

Lindy bop.

Mum4Fergus Sat 08-Aug-15 15:40:26

Ooh fab! Thanks for the ideas - greatly appreciated grin

squizita Sun 09-Aug-15 19:22:05

Clarance & Alabama, Little Wings Factory and Lady V London are great cheaper end shops. Ebay 'Sirens & Starlets' is good.
Collectif and Hell Bunny are good but quality varies.
Heyday is a brilliant - albeit more high end - uk based shop. Freddies of Pinewood also good but expensive, ditto Tara Starlet.

Retro Chick and Rockalily are two good bloggers/you tubers for tutorials and recommendations for shops etc.

My slight warning is everyone and their cat wears V of H so although expensive, I'd steer clear.

sugar21 Sun 09-Aug-15 19:24:58

Polka dots and petticoats have some nice online dresses

squizita Sun 09-Aug-15 19:42:59

There's also a big called All The Dresses (run by retro chick ) which gives a daily dress idea. Loads are high street.

The Style Me Vintage series has an excellent book on clothes. Really good.
50s vintage is quite costly now but if you go to vintage fairs, you can often find 80s-does-50s which has the advantage of easy care and modern zips etc. Just don't pay 50s prices!! grin
Cropped jeans and high waist skinnies - Primark have some - work well with bardot tops, gingham shirts, fitted tshirts with retro pictures on (with a bandanna or hair band), cardigans with appliques etc. The high street and charity shops are full of this stuff if you want to experiment cheaply. Pencil skirts and seamed tights/Stockings or full shape skirts work for smart - look for ones that sit no lower than your belly button.

There's loads more to pattern than spotty ... gingham, tropical, "novelty" (kitsch animals/icecreams etc), leopard print, classic American slogans like Coke, bright floral, slight gothic stuff like skulls, tattoo flash prints - even comic book inspired.

Ditto lips. Red is popular but pinks and corals work well too.

Big plastic beads, wide belts, plastic pendants, hoop earrings, bowling bags, basket handbags and silk scarves/bandanas complete - and indeed 50s-up - almost anything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now