Talk

Advanced search

Gap silk blouse, dry clean only

(13 Posts)
Behooven Fri 07-Aug-15 12:18:45

Has anyone washed one? I don't want to ruin it but dry cleaning is so expensive

Aixoise Fri 07-Aug-15 13:53:46

I have washed silk dry clean only things and the cold cycle in the washing machine and they have been fine - HOWEVER it could shrink - but should be ok as far as my experience goes.

Crosbybeach Fri 07-Aug-15 13:56:53

Me too. You might ruin it, but unlikely. Hand wash in cold with mild detergent if you are really worried. I usually put stuff through the machine on the hand wash programme though.

sleepyhead Fri 07-Aug-15 14:28:37

Well, silk is usually a washable fabric so it would depend if there are any special finishes or trims that are the reason it's DCO, or if it's just lazy/overcautious labeling.

I've washed pretty much every dry clean only garment I've ever had that wasn't a suit or a coat eventually and never had a problem (except the lining of a wool skirt shrinking to half length but it was still wearable). The alternative was me never wearing them again.

Low temp, handwash cycle in the washing machine, or hand wash with woolite or similar should be ok.

Orangeanddemons Fri 07-Aug-15 14:32:35

Same here. It's only thing with structure that need dry cleaning really

Behooven Fri 07-Aug-15 15:43:57

Think I'll give it a go, fingers crossed

Kennington Fri 07-Aug-15 16:23:30

Silk is very tough and strong. I wear silk tops and wash them all at 40. Some of them are well over 5 years old.

Newbrummie Fri 07-Aug-15 17:32:42

My grandad was a dry cleaner, if there was a terrible stain he would wash the item whatever it was in cold water. He would then dry clean it to regain the shape and I think that's where you have to be careful so I would lay it flat on a towel to dry

Georgethesecond Fri 07-Aug-15 17:35:01

I ruined a silk dress by washing it, but it was an unusual crepe texture.

leadrightfoot Fri 07-Aug-15 19:19:53

Nice tepid cool wash by hand using wool wash.
Hang it up if it survives that Then in the machine on delicates with some wool wash

Behooven Sat 08-Aug-15 10:43:58

It turned out ok. I used the 15min delicate wash and drip dried it outside on a hanger - it won't need ironed either.

squizita Sat 08-Aug-15 13:22:41

I always wash 100% silk, inside a pillow case with mild detergent on cold. It is always fine.
I buy a lot of vintage so there aren't always washing instructions.

Some modern manufacturers put in dry clean labels to make things seem high end, or just for policy with all delicate fabrics.
Dry cleaning actually knackers clothes and bar some suits/wools you want to avoid it as much as possible!

squizita Sat 08-Aug-15 13:24:24

Oh and as George mentioned crepe needs careful treatment. I spot clean it though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now