Page 2 | Disgusting nails (pics)

(43 Posts)
BreadstickBev Thu 06-Aug-15 21:50:04

I'm a chronic nail bitter, have been for most of my 30 odd years. Now I feel the time has come to get rid not literally of them. Im not sure I'm able to do it totally alone so was wanting to know 1) How long my nails would have to get false ones applied 2) any type of fake nails recommended as I'm clueless and 3) and top tips for speedy growth??

Apologies for the pics as I know they are disgusting...

OP’s posts: |
BrushtheHeat Thu 13-Aug-15 01:16:50

My nails!

itsbetterthanabox Thu 13-Aug-15 05:51:14

You can get acrylics or gel extensions. Don't go to a cheap nail bar that uses a drill. That'll give you instant length.
You can also get gel polish. With that they look great and it reinforces and strengthens the nail so it grows. If your nails are weak go to a salon that offers IBX as an add on to the gel polish. Use cuticle oil regularly. CND have a new oil treatment called rescue RXX. It's wonder stuff at reinforcing and moisturising.
Getting a good manicure first with a hot oil treatment or paraffin mask is a good idea. Clean the cuticle and soften the hard skin that biters have around their nails. It'll give you a clean slate. Then oil then for a week and return for gel polish application.

CheeseEater Thu 13-Aug-15 23:15:09

I am also a nail biter with 30 years plus service but I grew them when I was in mat leave and bit them all again when I went back to work. Prior to dd I used to wear home falsies but always bit them when they came off. But... I started a new job recently and when u joined they were bitten to the quick (probably through anxiety) but now I have a full set of my own nails! I did what a pp suggested and kept 2 nails for biting and grew the rest.
I find that I need to put clear nail varnish on them and it acts like a reminder if I nibble the not-allowed ones. I leave varnish off the ones I can bite. Then I had a proper manicure once I had teeny tiny bits of white and now I am doing them myself. But I do still nibble the skin round the edges so as soon as they feel a bit rough or the varnish starts to flake I do them again. So glad it's not just me with this bloody affliction but I'm also sure you can do it but it is really hard.
Good luck OP. It is lovely having nice nails, I can't stop looking at them now I've got them!

WhereAreMyDragons Fri 14-Aug-15 09:10:55

I had nails similar to yours, although not quite as short. Try Perfect formula from QVC, it works absolute miracles! It promotes growth as well as protecting your nails. My beautician said to me that gel nails don't last as well on short nails as they do on long, mine stayed put for about 6 days before they started peeling off at the edges. Pricey @ around £20 a go for a week or so.

BreadstickBev Fri 14-Aug-15 12:27:46

Sooooo... Da dah..!

hellsbellsmelons Fri 14-Aug-15 13:11:31

Wow - that's better.
Try not to pick and nibble.
I know it's hard.
I had years of acrylics and gels.
I could just pick gel nails off in days.
But the longer you have them the more you will get out of the biting habit.
Honestly - my dad still checks my nails now to make sure I'm not biting them again.
They spent decades trying to get me to stop.
Have a lovely weekend with you new nails.

Advertisement

FrizzyNoodles Sun 16-Aug-15 14:12:08

Looking good!! star

BreadstickBev Fri 21-Aug-15 01:25:12

Bit of an update...

Ive managed way beyond my own expectations and have avoided all picking,poking and biting! Hooray! Nails aren't sore and are showing some signs of growth at the nail bed end! and I can tap on a table!

HOWEVER, one small problem...

Oh holy mother of God, the smell is horrific... I have a very good sense of smell and I am being repulsed by the smell. It's a kinda of cheesy yakky smell earring hole gunk and it's making me want to rip them off. Fair enough they were minging looking before but they never smelt bad! blush I have cleaned / scrubbed really well with a small nail brush and soaped but to no avail...

Any advice? Gel has been on exactly 1 week.

blush

BreadstickBev Fri 21-Aug-15 19:23:26

smelly bump

misslemonsfilingcabinet Sat 22-Aug-15 09:05:27

Honestly, I think they looked so much better in the picture 2 above where they were growing naturally. I hate acrylics (sorry to offend anyone). I know you had them to stop biting but you are doing so well, you might be ok without them. Put it down to a pricey mistake and concentrate on growing your on a little more. They need soaking off professionally , I think or the nail bed can get damaged. Avoid filing.
Sorry, not helpful, was it. Well done though on stopping

StatisticallyChallenged Sat 22-Aug-15 09:32:54

Smell isn't normal I wouldn't say, I have acrylics and gels on just now and a nose like a bloodhound and they don't smell at all.

I think they look nice, and they're hardly big fake talons. Unlike mine, which are!

OutToGetYou Sat 22-Aug-15 10:57:34

Mine have never smelt when I have had gel done, though I'm not a biter.

I wonder if you have some sort of infection, maybe fungal?

Fabellini Sat 22-Aug-15 11:27:14

They shouldn't smell at all.....it sounds like you have an infection. I'd get myself along to the chemist and see what the pharmacist says - I think you'll have to have your gel removed though I'm afraid.
It might not be the cause of the problem, but to get the infection treated, your nails probably have to be bare.

StatisticallyChallenged Sat 22-Aug-15 11:39:50

Given how bitten down your nails were I'd agree it could be an infection. The gels could have caused it if the salon had bad hygiene but with the condition of your nails it's possible it was there already and it's just been sealed in by the gel.

jimjamspam Sat 22-Aug-15 14:50:42

Dior nail glow is good stuff, so easy to apply and looks healthy and natural. It isn't cheap but I always re buy as I use it so often

RomComPhooey Sat 22-Aug-15 14:58:11

I managed to stop biting my nails pretty much overnight when I realised I would be able to retaliate and inflict equal pain on my sister, who was a pincher of the worst order. I was 8 and she was 6. My Mum had tried me on that bitter nail coating and all sorts, but it was vengeance that motivated me. I mention it here because it is possible to break the habit quickly, but you need to find the right motivation.

RavioliOnToast Thu 03-Sep-15 20:28:07

Did you get the smell sorted OP?

Snoopadoop Thu 03-Sep-15 20:35:33

I've been there OP and then at the ripe old age ;) of 37 decided enough was enough. I stopped biting one nail at a time and nurtured that single nail each time. I used OPI nail envy for strength and I used a cuticle oil. The key thing for me was to carry a nail file on me at all times. Any hint of a break, a nick, a pull anything and I would file immediately because the temptation to smooth the nail or file the nail with my teeth was too strong. I now have 10 lovely nails.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in