Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else not happy with nails when done professionally?

(22 Posts)
Giraffe5 Thu 06-Aug-15 16:24:09

I've been trying to treat myself to having my nails done every now and then. I had them just painted a few weeks ago and there were bubbles in the paint when I got home.

I went back today and just had a polish and the same thing happened with a different colour. I pointed it out this time as it was on every nail. The nail technician is very skilled and was horrified when I mentioned it so she offered to do me gel for the same price as she said it would be dry. I can still see imperfections.

I've only ever had my nails done about 7 times in total but always find a flaw. Is it just me? I always admire others' nails and think how perfect they look and when I ask where they've been its usually just wherever there was a deal on or where they could walk in.

CopaBanana Thu 06-Aug-15 17:09:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

burnishedsilver Thu 06-Aug-15 17:18:45

Do you keep going to the same place?

ceeveebee Thu 06-Aug-15 17:20:18

I have gel or shellac nails every two or three weeks and they always look perfect. You might want to try a different salon?

Giraffe5 Thu 06-Aug-15 17:36:35

I have tried different salons. The last two times I've been to the same salon as I know the technician is experienced. I've had gel today and there is a tiny air bubble in it and there is a streak in my thumb nail (I've had a dark colour).

Maybe I do need to keep practicing doing my own. I have some vinylux I like but it goes gloopy when I've used about a 1/4 of a bottle. Does opi stay good to use all the way through?

Justwonderingonarainyday Thu 06-Aug-15 18:51:58

I had mine done professionally for the first time recently and like you found little air bubbles. Not noticeable unless looking very close up though. However, they did last for a full week (and I do activities that are not very nail friendly such as lots of cleaning and gardening and sports) whereas when I do them myself they last a day or two. I suppose that is because the salon use better quality polish and top coat etc. whereas I just use a couple of coats of cheap polish.

Don't think I'll bother getting them done again tbh. Oh and I went to a very popular salon with very good reviews and the lady who did my nails has been doing nails for over 15 years.

Justwonderingonarainyday Thu 06-Aug-15 18:55:43

A lot of people who pay to get nails and other treatments done professionally like the experience of going to the salon and pay for that as much as for the results IMO

Giraffe5 Thu 06-Aug-15 20:54:33

Yes I think that's true Justwonderingonarainyday. CopaBanana sounds like you have it sorted

Getuhda348 Thu 06-Aug-15 21:26:29

I'm never happy either. They always miss the sides of my nails!! Going to invest in my own gel kit.

Jellypudmum Thu 06-Aug-15 21:32:02

I would look out for things such as Groupon deals, this way you don't spend too much but you get to try a number of technicians without feeling you have wasted your money.

Babymamamama Thu 06-Aug-15 21:36:42

I bought my own gel kit. Red Carpet. Best investment. It's saved me a fortune and means I can get exactly the length and shape I want.

NoArmaniNoPunani Thu 06-Aug-15 21:45:54

I've had gel nails a few times and never had air bubbles

burnishedsilver Thu 06-Aug-15 22:03:07

I'm usually happy with mine. I think salons sometimes thin the polish meaning the finish isnt as good. If the polish is a problem you could bring your own. I can never do as good a job on the cuticles and shaping the nails when I do it myself

ZazieSiddharta Fri 07-Aug-15 01:14:12

Know what you mean, there is always a nail not quite the right shape, or a slight smudge...but I have found finding someone you like and then keep going to them works- they get to know your nails and standards over time, and as you build up a relationship the job gradually improves as the person gets more relaxed/comfortable with you. It doesn;t get prefet, but it does get better.

I've always done my own. I use Seche Restore to down polish that's got too thick. I re-do any that are bubbly (almost never happens). Been doing them for 20 years, because they are my own I think I'm much more careful than someone else would be. The only time I ever got them done professionally, it hurt & wasn't as good. Never again.

And always use base coat. I apply a day before, to let it fully dry. Hate dents in the polish. Takes me a day to do 4 coats of polish - base, 2 x colour, top coat. Leave a few hours between each. Lasts all week & it's not soft for the first few days because I let it dry properly.

CopaBanana Fri 07-Aug-15 08:22:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

I do my own gel nails too. I don't think I've ever had bubbles in it - it's not very easy to get bubbles in as the topcoat especially is pretty thick and heavy so doesn't bubble easily. I've had mine on for a week so far and it's still perfect.

I don't find it damages my nails so long as I actually sit and soak it off properly.

WipsGlitter Fri 07-Aug-15 21:10:46

I've never had bubbles but I hate when they don't do the top edge of your big toenail.

Giraffe5 Fri 07-Aug-15 22:16:03

I have had two more very tiny bubbles appear to the surface which hubby thinks have come from the bottom and risen up. I love the gel effect though.

What make gel machine and varnish would you recommend to do your own? I'd prefer led light to uv

that's a contentious issue on here! i have a uspicy led lamp from amazon, shellac base and top coats also from amazon and a mix of bluesky, red carpet sensationail etc colours. I have also used the bluesky base and top coat and found it ok. not hugely impressed with the sensationail base though. Personally it seems like the base and top coat are the most important for longevity.

XiCi Sat 08-Aug-15 15:57:32

I have shellac at a salon every 2 weeks and they have always been perfect, there is no way I could get them looking as good myself at home and they last the full 2 weeks with no chips as well

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now