Talk

Advanced search

2 years postpartum and hair still thin and snapping around hairline

(9 Posts)
Havingkittens Wed 05-Aug-15 21:43:28

Can anyone recommend something to help regrowth and strengthening?

I'm also mid 40s, so it could be a combination of my age and postpartum hair loss. I rarely heat style or blow dry my hair anymore as having a 2 year old leaves me little time for this. I hoped this would at least restore the condition of my hair, but it hasn't. As a result though, I have to brush my hair into a ponytail whilst wet and let it dry, otherwise I end up with big frizzy poodle hair, which is not a good look. I know that's probably not ideal, but I try not to pull it too tight.

I've tried a few shampoos for thinning hair, like Phytocyane and Plantur 39, but still I have very thin baby hair around my temples and loads of short snapped bits all round my hairline. Has anyone tried anything that's actually helped with this situation?

burnishedsilver Wed 05-Aug-15 21:57:05

Have you tried suppliments? Hair and nail vitimans containing silica (my GPS suggestion) sorted my prolonged post partum hair loss. I was also low on iron at the time so I suspect the iron tablets helped too.

My understanding is that hair is weakest when wet so brushing it back into a ponytail is probably adding to the problem. If I were you I'd go back to using a hair dryer. Unless youve got curls air dryed hair is very hard to pull off. A decent hairdryer will dry it very quickly and give it a thicker healthier look.

mugglingalong Wed 05-Aug-15 22:00:02

Have you checked that there isn't a medical issue such anaemia or low thyroid. Probably worth considering even if just to rule it out.

Havingkittens Wed 05-Aug-15 22:07:47

I was tested for thyroid issues when I was having problems conceiving and also for other reasons prior to pregnancy, but nothing came up.

I use a tangle teaser, so it shouldn't be pulling my hair. I just don't have time to blow-dry my hair very often these days. 2 year old boys aren't known for their patience!

I may be low on iron though, come to think of it. My gums and inner eye rims are a bit on the pasty side. I'll get back on the Spatone and see if that helps. I think there may also be some silica knocking around somewhere that an old lodger left behind, so I'll have a try of that too. Thanks.

mugglingalong Thu 06-Aug-15 07:15:49

You can develop thyroid problems post-partum, pregnancy is the cause of my low thyroid. You could ask the dr for a blood test to cover possible causes incl anaemia and low thyroid.

Havingkittens Thu 06-Aug-15 16:12:07

That's true, but I don't have any other symptoms characteristic of thyroid issues.

I started my day with Spate, Vit D3, Silica and Selenium. Let's hope I can remember to take it every day!

Ohchristmastreeohchristmastree Thu 06-Aug-15 16:23:43

I would check out medical issues too. Ferritin levels are v important for hair growth. A GP would want you ferritin levels to be above about 50 a trichologist would want them to be above 75 if not 100.
Iron plus vitamin c and lysine wil get levels up super quick. Been there myself. Have a Google. HTH. It isn't nice to see hair falling out, although I think I shred hair this time of year. My neighbours dog always moults this time of year and I always seem to go through a similar moulting phase too. confused

Havingkittens Fri 07-Aug-15 11:18:21

Thanks, I'll have a look into that.

sonata1 Fri 07-Aug-15 11:23:31

Get some Hubner's silica capsules. Highly recommended as THE supplement to get from the Health food shop gurus. I get mine from Amazon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now