Talk

Advanced search

Suddenly feeling guilty about so many clothes...

(22 Posts)
Notcontent Wed 05-Aug-15 19:54:20

I just got home from work and was getting changed into something comfortable (my PJs actually!) and I had the doors to my wardrobe open - and I suddenly looked at all the dresses hanging there, and jackets, and my jumpers all folded up...

And i had this sudden thought - why do I need all this stuff? Why have I spen all this money on it... I don't think it's over the top - I just counted and I have 35 dresses, but that includes work stuff, beach tunics, evening wear (not much of that).

Maybe I am feeling guilty because I ordered today a dress for Christmas for when I will be visiting relatives in a hot climate. I don't actually need a new dress but the woman in question is very stylish and I know she will be looking at what I am wearing...

Do you have thoughts like that? Should I feel guilty?

Nonnainglese Wed 05-Aug-15 19:59:46

You're not the only one, I'm ashamed of the amount of clothes I have. I no longer need to dress 'corporately' so probably 80% of clothes and shoes won't get worn again.
I suppose best thing would be umpteen trips to charity shops in very near future, I'm really embarrassed blush

Itsbloodyraining Wed 05-Aug-15 20:05:09

You're not a size 16 are you?? grin

Notcontent Wed 05-Aug-15 20:07:54

Ha, ha - no, Raining!

Oly4 Wed 05-Aug-15 21:36:55

Yep, I have loads too. Dozens and dozens of tops, cardigans,jumpers, most quite expensive. I'm trying to lessen the guilt by making sure I wear it all. I adore clothes and love feeling good but, gulp, I've spent and do spend a small fortune

Happy36 Wed 05-Aug-15 21:42:15

Clear out - charity shops or those collection boxes (we have "Humana" ones here in Spain, I think I´ve seen them in the U.K. too) or even give them directly to any homeless people in your local area.

You will feel much better, have more space in your wardrobe and, I guarantee, you won´t miss the clothes you´ve cleared out.

Bellebelle Wed 05-Aug-15 21:59:30

I've been doing a major clear out of my clothes/shoes/handbags etc after years of shopping and it's an amazing feeling. I've been eBaying a lot which takes time and effort but worth it when the money starts rolling in and lots more has gone to charity. I'm still in the process of 'editing' it all down but I've found it easier to do it gradually as when I've done it before I've only got rid of the things I have completely gone off and keep everything else 'just in case.' Now I regularly go through my wardrobe and find more things that while they're lovely I just know I won't wear again so better to make money/donate than remain unworn.

I completely agree with the comment above about not missing the clothes you get rid of, instead you end up with things you really love to wear and getting dressed is stress free. It doesn't mean you have to stop shopping, you just learn more about what you actually will wear and learn to shop smarter.

The Minamilists blog is worth having a read of, they've taken minimalist living to the extreme but some of the articles explain really well the false value we put on possessions and how to break the cycle of buying stuff. You shouldn't feel overwhelmed or guilty about all your clothes, you should get enjoyment out of them if you've spent your hard earned cash on them.

Bellebelle Wed 05-Aug-15 22:02:33

Minimalists sorry! blush

goodasitgets Wed 05-Aug-15 22:10:08

Occasionally. I last counted 65 dresses blush but I do genuinely wear nearly all of them (one is more of a v posh party dress and I haven't worn it yet)

JaceLancs Wed 05-Aug-15 23:54:01

Yes I have moments like that
As others have said having regular clear outs does help
I buy stuff quite cheaply but even so sometimes feel sick about how much money I spend on fashion and beauty

stripytees Thu 06-Aug-15 07:57:00

I think about it sometimes. Especially when I buy new things and know I don't really need them. But I love clothes and shoes, and there are many other things I never spend on so it's just my choice to spend on clothes.

I only buy clothes I wear for several years rather than following trends. Although I've lost weight this year and have been selling my too big clothes on eBay and using the money on new clothes in my smaller size. At least that feels somehow guilt free...

Lovinglife45 Thu 06-Aug-15 08:10:59

I wish I had this problem!

I own;
10 dresses for work/weddings/ every day wear and a few date back to 2009.

Five skirts

Two pairs of jeans (cheap from New Look)

5 pairs of trousers

4 cardigans

1 blazer

Variety of tops - around 12

I do not own nearly enough clothes for work/weekends.

I become anxious choosing work clothes as I try not to wear the same item twice in a week. I mix and match to death.

Lovinglife45 Thu 06-Aug-15 08:21:09

Can I ask if you buy clothes/shoes every month or do a big shop at the beginning of each season?

I would like nothing more than to throw out my current wardrobe (clothes are cheap from H&M, New Look, Dorothy Perkins) and go shopping with £2000 and only buy items that I am in love with and flatter me.

I saw a beautiful dress on Ted Baker website and the material looked amazing. I was mesmerised by the cut and the way it hung on the model. The price reflected this - almost £200.

Oly4 Thu 06-Aug-15 08:32:32

I buy clothes every month and always have, even when I had a far smaller budget. I agree with the poster who said there's loads of other things she doesn't spend on. For example, I religiously take my own drinks and snacks out to avoid buying any. But I'll spend a lot of clothes. We're very lucky to be able to afford it but I do feel sick sometimes wondering how I'd feel if my DH lost his job and all this came to an end. I'd wish I had saved! But I do get loads of pleasure from clothes and I love looking good

Lottapianos Thu 06-Aug-15 08:54:19

I highly recommend a good clear out, its so therapeutic. Here's the criteria I use when deciding what to chuck:

- If I didn't wear it during the last relevant season (Winter clothes in Autumn/Winter etc), it goes
- If it doesn't fit or is no longer in decent nick, it goes
- If the colour really doesn't suit me, it goes

I have never regretted a single thing I've chucked out. I either give them to charity or to friends, or have brought them into work and said 'help yourselves' smile Anything not in decent nick just goes in the bin.

And for buying new clothes:
- Can I wear this daytime / night time / Summer / Winter - any less than 3 out of 4, don't buy it
- Do I have something like this already? A much easier task if you have a fairly small wardrobe smile
- do I already have something in the wardrobe that I can wear it with e.g. do I have a skirt that will match this t-shirt?

maybemyrtle Thu 06-Aug-15 09:21:39

Can I ask if you buy clothes/shoes every month or do a big shop at the beginning of each season?

Why not just buy things when you need them?

I'm always a bit hmm when I hear of people that do a big shop every season, what do they do with their old stuff? Do they not wear it any longer? Do they have seasons worth of clothes in storage? Admittedly I don't get it but instinctively it sounds wasteful to me. Happy to be enlightened.

SuperFlyHigh Thu 06-Aug-15 11:36:33

I'm a bit like this too only it's stuff I haven't thought about... eg I would really like a smart good quality navy blazer but got a navy Zara blazer instead...

I also fall into the trap of buying clothes when bored rather than need.

Having said that I do buy well a lot of the time - nice clothes, that generally suit me.

stripytees Thu 06-Aug-15 11:45:45

I shop regularly, a lot of my clothes are from eBay (mostly new from professional sellers or very lightly used from private sellers) so I keep an eye on what's there.

I usually buy about 5-10 new items at the start of the season in the spring and autumn from my favourite brands. Then I buy basics as and when needed i.e. if my old black basic top needs replacing, or if I notice I could really use a navy vest top under several of my jumpers.

I don't stop wearing things I've bought previously, I just add to my wardrobe. I get rid of things I rarely or never wear by selling them on eBay or donating to charity shops.

Spydra Thu 06-Aug-15 11:53:05

Project 333 is a minimalism excercise where you pick 33 items for 3 months. Might be an interesting challenge for you, OP?

Tizwailor Thu 06-Aug-15 14:44:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SuperFlyHigh Thu 06-Aug-15 15:34:49

I think part of our problem is that:-

1. clothes are still fairly reasonable to buy.
2. You can buy them anywhere eg a shop, online secret sale, online, catalogue, bidding market (Ebay etc), markets
3. you can use your money (cash) but also paypal, credit cards, debit cards , catalogue credit etc

it was much easier before when you paid in cash or cheque (and not so many of us had credit cards) as you had to count out the money or write the cheque and think more about the purchase.

I don't do this myself but I think I will try and get out a set amount of cash or pay by cash only for clothes etc.

don't even get me started on ebay/online shopping.

SuperFlyHigh Thu 06-Aug-15 15:36:55

i think sometimes OP if you go through your clothes, 1 by 1 - beach tunic - how many do you have, do you need all of them? Hat for beach etc?

is there anything you really need and don't have?

I have a nice plain black raincoat from Zara which wasn't cheap but not expensive and it irks me that I have to resew buttons which have fallen off it. I'll still keep it though as it looks good, has a hood etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now