Talk

Advanced search

Your tips for staying young - please share!

(5 Posts)
NotdeadyetBOING Wed 05-Aug-15 19:42:19

Have to face facts - am no longer a slip of a thing in her 20s, able to burn the midnight oil/look great in a bin liner etc. The reality is I am nearer 50 than 40 and want to start actually respecting my body and what goes in it/on it. SO - have ditched booze (as I was never one to nurse a single glass), social smoking has gone along with it. Staying out of sun. Trying to eat more healthily. Considering getting teeth whitened (although not to bonkers Simon Cowell shade). Firmly ditching lots of tops/dresses with spaghetti straps as I think weirdly they look quite ageing and try hard once one is over a certain age. Doing yoga and swimming to stay toned. Thinking of embracing lots of navy in French, chic, ageless way. Hmmm. Keen to hear other people's tips and strategies in this department. Be they on clothing, supplements, a spot of light cosmetic tweaking, frankly anything.

FrugalFashionista Wed 05-Aug-15 19:57:08

I'm 42. Sunscreen, glycolic acid, whitestrips (I use one just one pair once a month to maintain), regular highlights, an activity tracker, smiling a lot, and devoting time to people, places and activities that I enjoy. I've actually changed direction, I dress younger now than I did in my early thirties. I find I have a clearer sense of who I am these days.

Notcontent Wed 05-Aug-15 20:13:46

All those things you mention. I think diet is important - ie don't get really fat and don't eat junk!!! Exercise a bit. Like frugal, I dress fairly young - but aware that I can't pretend I am a teenager...

cressetmama Wed 05-Aug-15 20:17:50

Don't over think it! Sometimes ageing gracefully is as simple as changing black for grey or navy, and using more sunscreen, showing less flesh, but choosing a youthful trend too, if it suits your body shape. Stay lean but not skinny, exercise and smile.... embrace new experiences. I'm now almost 59, but was a first time mum at 43..... and teen sons are invigorating! Lots of hydrating serum, and selective deafness. No negative vibes!

NotdeadyetBOING Wed 05-Aug-15 20:37:00

I had my kids late too and think in a way it's good for keeping you in the youngish zone. Agree with clothing tips - I still dress young and on trend, but avoid too much flashing of flesh or silly hemlines (apart from on beach). I will give in to grey and comfy slacks one day - but not yet! Weirdly, I feel more confident now than I did in my 20s or even early 30s - in terms of who I am AND (bizarrely) how I look. Eyebrows need more attention I find too. Might cough up for some proper serum/glycolic acid. Quite like the Skinceuticals range, but they aren't giving it away. Increasingly find I want to streamline/prune my wardrobe, make-up etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now