Talk

Advanced search

Curly girl - what am I doing wrong?

(9 Posts)
SesameSparkle Wed 05-Aug-15 07:12:51

So I think I've gone no poo, I've got SLS free shampoo, I only comb my hair when I put conditioner through it, and I wrap my hair in a t shirt when wet. It all seems to work fine if my hair is left to dry naturally indoors. But if I leave the house with wet hair I still get frizz. What am I doing wrong? Is gel the missing link? Is this only going to work if I buy the book? Please help! smile

dexter73 Wed 05-Aug-15 08:14:17

The curly girl method didn't work at all for me. Now I just use any shampoo/conditioner and a bit of Boots Curl Creme and my hair is lovely and curly and free from frizz!

MamaLazarou Wed 05-Aug-15 08:18:30

Have you tried co-washing? I've yet to find a low-poo 'poo that doesn't dry my hair out so I only use shampoo every few weeks and mainly wash with this: www.amazon.com/Am-Coconut-Cowash-Cleansing-Conditioner/dp/B00641UCY8 (you can buy it for £6.49 from Afro4You).

What are you using for styling? I use the Boots curl cream (in the pink pot) and a dab of Lush R&B. Make sure you apply it while your hair is soaking wet.

SesameSparkle Wed 05-Aug-15 08:38:16

Ok so I'm maybe not really following the method properly because I can't quite bear to try washing my hair with only conditioner. Is that it? I use a very mild shampoo by faith in nature and then conditioner. I used to use curl cream before I started trying this but now I use nothing. I could go back to add it back in. But as I say, my hair does dry nicely if I'm in the house it's just when my wet hair is exposed to the elements that it goes awry.

HuckleberryMishMash Wed 05-Aug-15 08:50:17

I changed to using sls-free, silicone free shampoo/conditioner and using a curl ease towel a couple of years ago. The only styling product I use is the Boots pink curl creme.

My method is: shampoo as normal, conditioner (which I do comb through very carefully to distribute), rinse well, squeeze out excess water, wrap in curl ease towel for ten minutes while I get rest of me ready, comb again (shock horror) to find parting, apply curl creme, comb through to distribute, then I kind of ruffle it so that it finds its own curls rather than scrunching it which forces it in directions it might not naturally go in.

I was recently told on another MN thread that the curl creme is not CG friendly, but I'm not going to change my regime as it works! My hair has changed so much. Lovely, frizz free curls.

So I'm really not bothered that the curl creme doesn't conform to the rules.

I find the no-poo method unappealing but I do make sure the shampoo I use doesn't have any real nasties in it.

MamaLazarou Wed 05-Aug-15 08:58:52

Cowash is not just conditioner, though, OP: it is cleansing conditioner. It cleans your hair. Oh well, it works for me!

I haven't read the CG book and don't know the 'rules' but the Boots curl cream is the best styling product I've tried - and I've tried a lot!

SesameSparkle Wed 05-Aug-15 09:45:57

I hadn't quite appreciated what co-wash is, thanks for the explanation. Lots of votes for curl cream too, I might have to go back to it to see if it makes a difference.

I find it's great the day I've washed my hair, but the in between days it gets knotty and frizzy, as mine takes a good couple of hours to dry even after plopping I don't want to wet it every day. The curl creme is awful on my my hair, makes it dull and lanky, I don't generally use any products but am SLS/silicone free. My routine is therefore:
Washing day - curls
Second day - comb with afro comb, takes ages but gets rid of frizz/knots and gives big bouncy waves.
Third/fourth days - hair up. I would like to get curls every day but can't seem to do it without wetting it.

hellsbellsmelons Wed 05-Aug-15 11:52:07

I always put some spray in conditioner on after the wash and then Frizz Ease Dream Curls daily styling spray.
I probably wash my hair once every 4 days.
The other days I just wet it in the morning and repeat the spray in conditioner and Frizz Ease.
Only ever use a wide tooth comb. And always let it dry naturally.
Unless of course I'm straightening then it's a whole other ball game.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now