Talk

Advanced search

Help - invited to wedding, need clothes!

(55 Posts)
kazzawazzawo0 Tue 04-Aug-15 12:46:11

I've been invited to the wedding of my boyfriend's sister in October. It'll be the first time I meet any of his family, so I'm incredibly nervous.

I'm very much a jeans and t shirt person, I don't have many dresses, but don't like formal trousers either, so prefer a dress, but I don't like waisted ones, they never sit right on me. Usually I wear T-shirt dresses that are quite clinging, but I have a spare tyre to hide at the moment blush although I'm going to go on a strict diet until October in the hope I can get rid of it. I'm a size 14, sometimes 16 on the chest and waist and have ok legs I guess, large boobs, not much waist. I'm 50, but am told I look about 40 and dress young usually, very informal. I don't wear heels! blush

Please help me find something to wear! shock My budget is very low, I'm happy to look on Ebay. I need some nice low shoes, flat pumps of some kind too.

Will I have to wear a hat?? I haven't been to a wedding for about 15 years! shock. I have long curly brown hair and hats really don't suit me. I don't wear my hair up either, it's the natural look all the way! grin I want to feel comfortable, as the whole experience is going to be nerve wracking as it is, so need to be myself if possible! if that makes sense.

Very grateful for any help and advice. I don't really know where to start. In the past I've shopped at Dorothy Perkins, M&S, Next, New Look, Debenhams, Peacocks, M & Co although they are a bit too flowery usually ....

Thank you!

kazzawazzawo0 Tue 04-Aug-15 12:52:33

I've tried to upload a photo to my profile, but it's not showing at present - I'll keep working on it!

kazzawazzawo0 Tue 04-Aug-15 12:54:14

OK, photo should be there now smile

FreakinScaryCaaw Tue 04-Aug-15 12:57:25

Can't see a photo?

Have you tried 50s style dresses?

FreakinScaryCaaw Tue 04-Aug-15 12:59:50

Nice.

kazzawazzawo0 Tue 04-Aug-15 13:04:06

I have this dress and have worn it again and again this year, it just seems to suit me, the neckline, the cut.. I know it's not suitable, but just to show the neckline I like.

kazzawazzawo0 Tue 04-Aug-15 13:05:21

That is nice Freakin smile

kazzawazzawo0 Tue 04-Aug-15 13:10:36

Can you not see the photo if you go to my profile and click on my photos?

Almostfifty Tue 04-Aug-15 13:10:36

Phase Eight have a sale on with some absolutely gorgeous dresses.

FreakinScaryCaaw Tue 04-Aug-15 13:10:41

Can you arrange a shopping day with an honest friend?

kazzawazzawo0 Tue 04-Aug-15 13:11:32

I'm worried with a dress like that, that it won't fit on the waist blush or boobs.

kazzawazzawo0 Tue 04-Aug-15 13:19:14

Possibly, but I'm very self conscious and lacking confidence. I prefer to order and try on at home blush

FreakinScaryCaaw Tue 04-Aug-15 13:20:02

You're best going and trying a load on. Do you live near many clothes shops?

FreakinScaryCaaw Tue 04-Aug-15 13:20:57

Ok. House of Fraser are good.

kazzawazzawo0 Tue 04-Aug-15 13:21:37

Is this special enough for a wedding and what would I wear with it? I have one pashmina, but it's brown/bronze coloured.

FreakinScaryCaaw Tue 04-Aug-15 13:22:39

I can't see your photo.

Lottapianos Tue 04-Aug-15 13:24:34

Hi OP, don't panic smile I'm another hat and heel refuser and I'm going to a wedding in December. I'm planning to wear an M&S dress that I bought earlier this year - it's dark orange, plain but extremely flattering with some draping across the body. I'm planning black opaque tights and flat leopard print shoes. Not sure about jacket and bag yet but I certainly won't be wearing a hat.

So long as you look smart and well presented and aren't wearing white, you'll be fine. Your hair sound fab so do what you want with it. Don't worry about having to look like everyone else - you'll look much more interesting if you don't!

Lottapianos Tue 04-Aug-15 13:25:34

Oh and I like that Phase Eight dress. Yes, definitely dressy enough

pumapants Tue 04-Aug-15 13:26:15

I've just been invited to a wedding in October too, and I'm wondering if we may end up at the same one grin

I agree with Freakin about 50s style or just generally A-line? Then you can sort of hide your tummy if you're a bit conscious of that. Those kinds of dresses tend to give you a waste where you don't already have much of a defined one - for me anyway! How tall are you? That could help with shoes/dress length.

I wouldn't wear a hat. Do you wear much make-up?

pumapants Tue 04-Aug-15 13:27:22

Oh yes that phase 8 dress is lovely

FreakinScaryCaaw Tue 04-Aug-15 13:28:37

Yes that dress is great for a wedding.

kazzawazzawo0 Tue 04-Aug-15 13:29:20

Photo

kazzawazzawo0 Tue 04-Aug-15 13:29:59

I'm 5 foot 7, shoe size 6.

kazzawazzawo0 Tue 04-Aug-15 13:33:59

Thanks for the reassurance Lotta, not just me then!

Somehow A line doesn't suit me. I prefer ones like the Phase Eight dress linked above. I just don't want to look the size of a house! shock

I hadn't even thought about a jacket shock I don't have any!

kazzawazzawo0 Tue 04-Aug-15 13:34:49

Puma are you in Wales? grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now