Talk

Advanced search

Moving on from skinny jeans...

(17 Posts)
cloudlessskies Mon 03-Aug-15 18:28:13

Hi all. I want to move my casual wear on from skinny jeans and a t-shirt. Reasons are - I feel I'm getting too old for them (31), had enough of wedgies when sitting/generally feeling constricted, want a laid back but classy look.

I'm not thinking skirts as I spend most work days in tights. So what do you all wear? This is just for weekend relaxed activities, shopping, a walk, seeing friends etc. Thanks

SylvanianCaracal Mon 03-Aug-15 19:10:15

Well you're not too young for skinnies (or else I am much, MUCH too old grin) but I there are skinnies and skinnies. There are more relaxed ones and then when they even more relaxed they become a kind of skinny or slim boyfriend cut, which I think still looks good and modern.

There was a big thing about flares earlier this year but I just couldn't get into it for everyday really. Just feels too statementy.

Non-jeans wise, I like a maxi skirt with a t-shirt, you can add a little jacket too. There are loads around in the shops as well. Once you're used to it, it's a very comfortable look that also has a bit of glam about it. I know you said no skirts but you don't need tights with a maxi.

BlueEyedWonder Mon 03-Aug-15 22:34:44

I'm late 30s and have grown tried of blue skinny though still like my Topshop black Jamies. Instead I'm wearing slim boyfriends with a sizeable turn up. They work well with my converse and birkenstocks during the day. I also like them with heels for a night out.
Moving away from jeans, I also wear khaki chinos.

ouryve Mon 03-Aug-15 22:41:00

31 is way too old for anything. Over the hill. Polyester slacks are the way to go.

Wannabechic1 Mon 03-Aug-15 22:46:18

Never giving up skinnies, although I switched to mainly black skinny pants as opposed to jeans recently. Banana republics Sloan and ankle zip are staples ( I just turned 33)
Waiting to see if topshops Joni or Leigh suit me then I'll add those to my capsule wardrobe. I do think the type of tshirt can be something you grow out of, so no slogan tees for me but rather silk or chambray blouses and knits.

burnishedsilver Mon 03-Aug-15 23:49:35

Gap Girlfriend jeans.

yazzy85 Tue 04-Aug-15 15:44:38

Slim bootcuts or straight leg jeans?

MereKaffe Tue 04-Aug-15 15:47:39

31!

You could wear anything!

I think any type of jeans are in now. Flares, skinnies, bootcut, straight.

They all look ok to my eye.

But what would I know! I'm in my forties!

cloudlessskies Tue 04-Aug-15 17:36:06

Thanks for the responses. I'm liking the mentions of slim cut with a turn up or ankle zip.

Wannabechic, good point about the t-shirts too. I had a good clear out the other day and did remove the one's that had silly slogans on them. I really lie silky loose fitting t-shirt style tops. Where do you get yours from? As this is the other thing, moving to buy from more grown up shops. I really notice the places I always used to shop like H and M, New look etc the fabrics are too cheap.

Thanks also for the shouts of not being too old for skinnies!!

MorrisZapp Tue 04-Aug-15 17:38:46

Lol re beige slacks smile

Somebody better send Kate Moss the no skinnies over thirty memo

Wannabechic1 Tue 04-Aug-15 18:47:26

Hi cloud.. I'll be honest I just made my first boden haul but most of it's going back, their ravello top is nice but way too short on me I think my boobs and tum take up too much real estate they do have longline ones but all sold out last I checked. Next had some t- blouses that 1. Didn't fit, 2. Were very scratchy and polyester-y

The search goes on.

One

Wannabechic1 Tue 04-Aug-15 18:49:56

One other style evolution... A real marmite thing I guess is mid heeled suede pointy heels ( d'orsay is good) in grey or black look fab with slim pants whether baggy like joggers or skinny

Gunpowder Tue 04-Aug-15 18:56:37

DM is in her sixties and wears skinnies. I think they have become the boot cut of the Teenies.

I meanwhile have moved back to Mom jeans which is what DM gave up only 5 or 6 years ago in favour of skinnies. I LOVE THEM. No builders bum, comfy, turn ups show off ankles and they make your waist look tiny. DH not keen so far, but whatevs.

Gunpowder Tue 04-Aug-15 18:58:08

Was not being anti skinny jeans btw, just think they have become a classic now and anyone can wear them.

squizita Tue 04-Aug-15 19:10:07

I'm hunting for some good - fitted top, wide from the knee - flares. They suit me but I want flare-y not just boot cut and tight top not boyfriend.

MoreCrackThanHarlem Tue 04-Aug-15 20:10:26

squizita I bought some Topshop Tally flares in the sale today for £10. Really fitted at the top then flared from the knee. I bought a 32 leg when I would usually go for a 30 in Jamie/Joni as I plan to wear with heels/wedges. They are really nice.

squizita Tue 04-Aug-15 22:21:48

Ooh I will go and look! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now