Talk

Advanced search

Split ends- how can I save my hair?

(14 Posts)
zippyswife Mon 03-Aug-15 13:14:10

I chopped my long hair into a bob and whilst it was nice I'm bored already and desperate to grow it out. I switched straighteners when my ghds packed in to a cheaper Remington pair- unfortunately they seem to have dried and split my hair so badly. Is there a way of repairing this without having tonnes chopped off. It feels so dry and brittle. I'm off to order ghds now!!

specialsubject Mon 03-Aug-15 13:19:25

there's no way of repairing split ends. You have to believe your hairdresser and get them cut off.

all straighteners damage hair, expensive brand or not. So minimise the use.

zippyswife Mon 03-Aug-15 13:21:28

I've used ghds for about 15 years- my hair is so thick (think wire) and they never split. I'm gutted these ones have ruined it!

Yes think I'll have to get it cut out��

littlemissboozy Mon 03-Aug-15 14:09:00

Interesting...I switched to a different /cheaper brand, after I heard that whereas GHDs are the best performance wise, they're also the worst damage wise, because they're the hottest you can get and you can't adjust the heat settings. But, my hair is like straw now, so I'm a little confused myself confused

zippyswife Mon 03-Aug-15 14:10:54

Yes. Mine is so straw like. It's gutting. The ones I have go up to 230 and I've been stupidly using the hottest setting. Need to get a good bit chopped now. I'm unimpressed!

littlemissboozy Mon 03-Aug-15 14:14:29

Hmmm maybe GHDs glide more quickly over your hair, so don't damage it quite so much?? Even though they're insanely hot hmm

zippyswife Mon 03-Aug-15 14:17:12

Fair point little. I have found that my cheaper ones drag a bit so this could be the reason?

SqueezyCheeseWeasel Mon 03-Aug-15 14:17:59

Yep, nothing you can do now. They can't be glued back together. Trim them off, reduce your reliance on heat styling and make sure you use a good heat protectant product when you do style with heat. Also, moisturising and protein treatments (masks or leave in) will help to preserve the condition of your ends and reduce splitting (though it won't repair existing split ends).

justtheonethen Mon 03-Aug-15 14:59:15

I use redken anti snap leave in treatment. Won't repair split ends but will prevent them and has made my hair super soft and glossy.

zippyswife Mon 03-Aug-15 18:43:24

Ooh will have to try some of those treatments!! Booking hairdressers tomorrow for a clean chop.

MissMiss1 Tue 04-Aug-15 08:48:40

Hi zippiswife
My split ends are pretty bad and the last 3 inches are so dry. This weekend I tried Philip Kingsley Elasticizer and I can honestly say that my hair does look better. In not saying the split ends have totally gone, but it's definitely improved the appearance.
A friend also recommended coconut oil, leaving it on as a conditioning treatment and that did leave my hair really soft.
I think it's a case of having just the ends trimmed and then keeping up with a regular treatment, well that's my plan anyway.
I hope this helps smile

zippyswife Tue 04-Aug-15 09:00:30

Thanks. Just took a look at it and might give it a go. It's quite pricey- how many applications do you get (I've got thick shoulder length hair) My mum mentioned coconut oil too

littlemissboozy Tue 04-Aug-15 10:27:15

I actually didn't get on with coconut oil. Because it's pure oil, it's a bitch to get out your hair. You need to use quite hot water (which is counter productive in itself) and shampoo several times. Doesn't work for me as I've got very thick hair, which goes very frizzy and bushy if I use a lot of shampoo. If you have 'normal' hair though, I think it can work very well.

Little5Owl Tue 04-Aug-15 10:41:56

Do you use a heat protector spray before using straighteners? I found this helped minimise damage back in the day when I used to use straighteners.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now