Talk

Advanced search

Do any semi permanents really work on grey hair?

(13 Posts)
thunderbird69 Mon 03-Aug-15 08:54:57

ok, my situation is - holiday rapidly approaching, glowing stripe of grey/white hair along my parting, no time/money to get hair done properly, so I need a quick fix.
I do have a spray to cover the roots, but that's not going to be much good when my hair is getting wet (also not sure if it would start running if I get a sweaty head?!)

I have used semi-permanents in the past between permanent cover-ups but they only seem capable of covering a few grey hairs not a whole swarm of them. Anyone used anything successfully?

ApostropheS Mon 03-Aug-15 12:34:07

I use Nice & Easy (the one that says it lasts up to 24 shampoos) & it covers my grey but need to leave it on for a while - maybe 45 minutes or so.

AgathaF Mon 03-Aug-15 15:24:33

The Daniel Field PPD free dye is really good for covering grey hair. Need to buy it online though.

bonzo77 Mon 03-Aug-15 15:47:35

Nope. You need the higher % peroxide that you get in permanent dye to open the cuticle enough for the dye to penetrate.

Deeznutz Mon 03-Aug-15 15:49:10

Just use a permanent one in a shade lighter than your current colour. The semis don't cut it. Permanent tend to go darker than they look on the box.

bonzo77 Mon 03-Aug-15 17:04:21

yy 100% to what Deez said above

DelphiniumBlue Mon 03-Aug-15 17:10:09

Root touch up, think it's nice n easy, usually £4.99 or less, available from boots, tesco, just about anywhere. Comes in generic colours such as light brown, and tones in with any blight brown existing colour. Takes about 5 mins to apply, and leave on for 10 mins. Fab job covering greys.

Marmaladybird Mon 03-Aug-15 18:31:31

I can confirm that root spray runs when you're sweaty/wet. Went to an early morning gym class after a night out. Looked like someone had poured Bisto over me.

Root touch up is good though - a really quick fix.

Orangeanddemons Mon 03-Aug-15 18:36:01

I use semi on mine, always have, although I get it done at hairdressers. It does fade a very little bit, but it looks like expensive streaks! Total coverage though.

NatGeo Mon 03-Aug-15 19:11:18

How long does the semi on average last for? I always use l'oreal which is supposed to be permanent but only lasts up to about 3 weeks before all the grey's start coming through again.

mammmamia Tue 04-Aug-15 00:45:49

I use casting creme gloss. Lasts about 3 weeks.

EatShitDerek Tue 04-Aug-15 01:04:41

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Orangeanddemons Tue 04-Aug-15 08:22:33

What's the grey coverage lipstick thing?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now