Advanced search

Absolute wimp about wearing heels, what is the best product for ball if the foot pain?

(12 Posts)
Swifey Mon 03-Aug-15 08:46:14

Those sort of gel things? And which are the best sort? Or something else?

ChishandFips33 Mon 03-Aug-15 08:50:36

Wedges (although not always as stylish) can give you height without the pain (I have plantar fasciitis and use orthaheel insoles, the slim fit ones - still can't do killer heels though sad though a low heeled boot is fine)
Memory foam pads?

Haggisfish Mon 03-Aug-15 08:51:03

Flat shoes! I don't wear heels so am no help, sorry!

rollonthesummer Mon 03-Aug-15 08:53:42

I don't think those gel inserts do very much for 'ball of the foot' pain actually.

ChishandFips33 Mon 03-Aug-15 08:54:26

Haha Haggis that was my first thought!

Actually, if something is causing you pain in the first place it may be better to avoid it completely - do you have to wear heels?

Also look at the width of the toe box on your shoe - if it's narrow it will squash your toes together causing other issues such as inflammation of the nerves/neuromas - try a heel with a wider fit?

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Mon 03-Aug-15 08:58:28

Why would you continue to wear something that hurts?!

The reason the ball of your foot hurts is that when you wear heels every step you take the weight is concentrated on the ball of your foot with no cushioning, as compared to spread over the whole of the foot with the natural cushioning provided by the flex of the foot/arch.

Swifey Mon 03-Aug-15 09:46:22

The shoes don't hurt as such, they are the m&s insolia ones, but after a few hours the balls of my feet hurt, so I just wondered what people used for that?

FuckOffPeppa Mon 03-Aug-15 09:50:57

Wearing flats! Why wear something that causes pain?! If you really must wear heels then would much lower ones help?

Iatemyskinnyperson Mon 03-Aug-15 19:51:14

I think a well constructed shoe helps. I have a few of the mid-priced brands but the best has been Paul Green. They feel really stable, the toe box is a good size and have a good platform to take out some of the heel height. Also the green court shoes ones I have you kind of roll along on them as you walk. Definitely the best I've ever worn.

They aren't the super-sexy stiletto type but they look quite good on. Anyway you look far sexier when you can stride out confidently rather than shuffle along in pain. Do try them on though, most people have to go down a size.

Iatemyskinnyperson Mon 03-Aug-15 19:53:00

Oops, link was wrong


coff33addict Mon 03-Aug-15 20:05:24

I had pain in the ball of my foot and saw a podiatrist. they advised me not to wear flats (or heels) and not to walk bare feet. was told to use something with an orthopaedic sole at home (such as Birkenstocks) and was told to wear insoles in my other shoes (the kind of insoles that give arch support). Have been doing it that way and all pain disappeared.

might be worth seeing a podiatrist so you can pin point the problem as there are a few potential reasons for your pain. cost be about £30 but we'll spent.

CloserToFiftyThanTwenty Mon 03-Aug-15 20:09:31

IME it's about getting the right heel for you - I can wear sky scrapers or kitten heels, but mid heels make my feet ache the quickest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now