Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

salicylic or glycolic - what's the difference?

(9 Posts)
RavioliOnToast Mon 03-Aug-15 07:18:58

I'm nearing the end of my pot of clearasil pads, my skin has never looked better but today I need to look at getting another toner, whether it be these again or the nip+fab ones.

what is the difference between the two? can anyone help?

Sansarya Mon 03-Aug-15 07:28:25

Salicyclic acid exfoliates inside the pores so is good for skin prone to breakouts. Glycolic acid exfoliates the surface so is better for dry or sun damaged skin. If you've been using a Clearasil product then I'm guessing salicylic is the way to go, but check that there's no alcohol in the product as that can be an irritant. Paula's Choice have some good options.

RavioliOnToast Mon 03-Aug-15 07:32:39

I don't get blackheads, I don't get spots (not really, once a month?) do you think I should just stick with what's working? I'm a bugger for finishing something, trying something new and going back to what I already used...

RavioliOnToast Mon 03-Aug-15 07:34:11

they do have alcohol in them too

Wolpertinger Mon 03-Aug-15 07:50:10

Salicylic dissolves in oil so clears out blackheads and sebaceous filaments as well as preventing spots. Glycolic is water soluble so won't do this. They both will gently lift off dead cells making your skin look better.

I didn't like the Clearasil because of the alcohol content and the bumpy pads felt quite harsh.

If you don't have blackheads or sebaceous filaments you could use either. On one of the other threads lots of people did end up preferring the Nip Fab Dragon's Blood pads which are salicylic to the Glycolic though.

If you like salicylic, Paula's Choice really are the best though.

GingerFoxInAT0phat Mon 03-Aug-15 21:35:30

Nip and fab do some glycolic fix extreme pads now that have glycolic and salicyclic acid in them. They should only be used a couple of times a week though and they recommend to use alongside the normal glycolic pads.

I've used them a few times and am impressed.

Wenglish Tue 04-Aug-15 06:33:08

OP which pads were you using please?
I'm keen to try this.
Though I have dry skin no spots but blackheads. I sound lush grin

RavioliOnToast Tue 04-Aug-15 11:11:29

they're the clearasil rapid pads I think, I'll lookfor a photo grin

RavioliOnToast Tue 04-Aug-15 11:12:29

here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now