Talk

Advanced search

Soft waves for shoulder length hair?

(17 Posts)
cuntycowfacemonkey Sun 02-Aug-15 19:33:38

I'm growing my hair longer than shoulder length but for now we are stuck at just touching the shoulders. I want to try and create soft waves but looking at reviews for the babyliss soft waves wand it would seem hair needs to be longer.

Any suggestions, am bored of waiting for hair to grow out and bored of dead straight hair. My hair is also very thick if that makes a difference?

RiojaHaze Sun 02-Aug-15 19:38:49

I just use a good old cheap pair of tongs!
Taking thick pieces of hair and only winding halfway up. Doesn't take anywhere near as long as a wand (less chance of getting burnt) and stays in well.

cuntycowfacemonkey Sun 02-Aug-15 19:44:55

Hmm see I did wonder about good old fashioned tongs - I haven't owned a pair for about 20 years so wasn't sure if there was a massive difference between those and the new style wand things confused

tossedsalads Sun 02-Aug-15 19:57:01

Am also very interested to find the secret out! Would Ghds do the trick? Or some large rollers in overnight?

cannaethink Sun 02-Aug-15 19:58:18

I use the Remington pearl curling wand, it was £20.
My hair is also very thick but only chin length but I find this works perfectly for soft waves. It comes with a heat proof glove too which helps when doing the shorter bits!

kiwigirl42 Sun 02-Aug-15 20:06:00

I've got extremely straight hair and use Enrapture ceramic heated rollers when want a wave or curl. They are fabulous.

www.tesco.com/direct/enrapture-extremity-heated-rollers/720-3636.prd

SwingingBalls Sun 02-Aug-15 20:14:43

I use my straighteners, the waves seem to stay in much longer than using a wand.
Just pull them through your hair like you would if you were curling some ribbon on a present with some scissors (if that makes sense).

gingerbreadmam Sun 02-Aug-15 20:28:57

do you have ghds? if so you can created waves easily with them. if you put the ghd on your hair at the angle you normally would to straighten it then turn it under 45degrees. pull it down the hair a little bit then turn it outwards about 90degrees. a bit like if you were making a conseltina fan with a piece of paper?

if you do that to sections about 1 inch long then get some sea salt spray you will have sexy beach hair as i like to call it grin

spookyskeleton Sun 02-Aug-15 20:37:02

I have shoulder length hair. How I make waves is to completely dry my hair and then divide it into 5 sections and twist each one away from my face and pin up with a butterfly clip. Leave for about 30 minutes and then undo them. Looks a bit frizzy and wild at first but settles into lovely waves quickly. Very low maintenance wink

cuntycowfacemonkey Sun 02-Aug-15 21:08:04

I have straighteners but not GHD's. I did try and do the wave thing with them but it was just a big kink!

gingerbreadmam Sun 02-Aug-15 21:19:39

sometimes you just have to be a bit faster lol! the sea salt spray helps a lot too. i juts got the got2b one on offer in superdrug seems to be ok.

stripytees Sun 02-Aug-15 21:21:51

I use my straighteners for this too. It takes a while to learn the right technique though.

ygritte Sun 02-Aug-15 21:43:00

Try the Toni and Guy reverse curling wand currently on sale at Tesco for £15.Things have definitely moved on since I had an old fashioned one.It heats up in seconds and actually works. I tried it with a spare 5 minutes and had curly hair,and it looked pretty good.

cuntycowfacemonkey Sun 02-Aug-15 22:09:57

Hmm maybe will have another little try with my straighteners first before I go and buy something else! Will check out sea salt spray too

MustTidyUpMustTidyUp Sun 02-Aug-15 22:19:38

You need this wonderful lady
I sometimes use straighteners and sometimes tongs. You need to stick with straighteners and you'll pick up the technique. Gives a more natural wave. Anyhow, check this blog out.

WaggleBee Sun 02-Aug-15 22:54:04

I use this www.amodelrecommends.com/2014/04/15/does-hair-styling-get-easier-than-this-clue-no/

suestew123 Sun 02-Aug-15 23:13:00

what about this www.babyliss.co.uk/curl-secret.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now