Talk

Advanced search

Outfit SoS, please help me find inspiration for my first night out in over almost 2 years

(23 Posts)
BurningBriquette Sat 01-Aug-15 20:25:14

Style gurus please help!

I have my first night out planned (dinner, then bar/club with friends) in a long long time. I had a baby 14 months ago, I haven't been out at night since birth, and didn't really go out during pregnancy. To say my confidence is at a low ebb would be an understatement. I am extremely excited and very much looking forward to letting my hair down. However, I have nothing to wear, my old clothes no longer fit, and look tired anyway. I need a new fab outfit to give me a bit of a boost. And hope that perhaps you lovely people can help me to find a dress or skirt and top so that I can look my best. I just have no idea where to start.

I am 32, a size 8/10, 5.5 with an athletic frame. Fair skin and dark hair. I like vintage style, and have a fairly decent pair of legs and alright shoulders! I would like to try and look striking (maybe even sexy...cough a lot of effort required) in a quirky way. I don't suit long dresses, or body con stuff. My budget could stretch a little, given its been an age since I have shopped - but ideally no more than £100.

Please please help - I feel excited but nervous as I have lost my confidence and feel and look so tired. Outfit suggestions would be so welcome.

Thank you!

BurningBriquette Sat 01-Aug-15 21:49:06

Bump, hoping for suggestions for online shops etc smile

SuperFlyHigh Sat 01-Aug-15 21:53:29

What colours do you like? Would you prefer a dress that's not long or skirt or trousers/skinny jeans?

I'm thinking Mint Velvet would be nice for you (very striking you can wear clothes separates more than once and sale time!).

I don't do vintage style online but in shops... So can't recommend anything there.

Do you have shoes/sandals/boots to go with this outfit?

Any celebs whose style you'd like to emulate?

BurningBriquette Sat 01-Aug-15 22:08:29

Thank you Super. Would probably prefer a short dress/skirt. As live in baggy harem trousers. Colour wise I like rich dark tones in, green, red, burgundy and the very save black. But would like to try and increase my range.

I haven't looked at Mint Velvet - so will head to their website now. I have a couple of pairs of ballet pumps, and heels (mostly black).

Good question 're celebs, I'm not sure. I like Eva Green, and Zoe deschanel (spelling!). I like Florence out of Florence and the Machine too.

Thanks again... I used to be so sure with clothes. Since having a baby I feel clueless.

BurningBriquette Sat 01-Aug-15 22:09:41

*safe!

BurningBriquette Sun 02-Aug-15 16:15:55

A hopeful bump.

captainflash Sun 02-Aug-15 20:22:24

It depends on what era 'vintage' you're after. Lindybop gets mentioned lots and they have a good range of tea dresses, full circle 50's dresses, wiggle dresses, etc. You're quite tiny so you could suit a sarong type dress.

Alternatively, if you're not too keen on body con stuff, I'd go for a t'shirt or shift style but a nice embellished one. I'm not sure I can do links properly on my phone but I bought this to wear to our works party- I have a 2 year old and don't feel very glam often but rocked this with some silver flats.
m.asos.com/mt/www.asos.com/Warehouse/Warehouse-Sequin-Shift-Dress/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=4536220&un_jtt_application_platform=newPlp&un_jtt_redirect

Sorry for the rubbish long link!

redannie118 Sun 02-Aug-15 20:32:43

Would back lindybop or hearts and roses too..a lovely quirky 50s style would really suit your personality and you sound like you have the figure to get away with it !

BurningBriquette Sun 02-Aug-15 21:25:40

Thank you Captain, and redannie. Like styles from 40s through to the 70s.

What a stunning dress Captain. I bet it felt wonderful glamming up for the evening. I can't believe I haven't come across Lindybop before - thank you both for the suggestion - beautiful quirky clothes.

Hearts and Roses look fab - now to do some selecting and to find my confidence.

Thanks again!

MaryBerrysEyelashes Sun 02-Aug-15 21:27:23

GOD DONT DO 50s style

I hate it. The refuge of 'bubbly' women who drone on about cupcake

captainflash Sun 02-Aug-15 22:23:28

Hee Hee! I don't like cupcakes nor do I think I'm particularly bubbly. I don't actually own anything from Lindybop but suggested it as the OP stated she liked vintage styles. Most things are 'vintage' now anyway- I was reading a magazine describing 90's grunge as vintage. That made me feel very old!

Burning- if I were you I'd pick the parts of your body you do really like and go from there. If you have nice shoulders, a Bardot style dress or sarong style would look good. If you're fairly athletic and straight up and down, the sarong style dresses have more structure around the waist to give some curves. I'd spend some time on Asos. Their delivery is really quick and returns are easy too.
And yes, my dress was lovely. I know I have pretty good legs so often go for short. A t'shirt shape hides the bits that aren't so good!

MalmseyWhine Mon 03-Aug-15 09:38:49

Oasis have a lovely range here in vintage V&A prints. How about the print pencil skirt with the black or print cami, or the cropped blouse if you're braver?

BurningBriquette Mon 03-Aug-15 10:25:33

Wow I'd forgotten just how addictive asos is. What do you think of this dress?

www.asos.com/Warehouse/Warehouse-Feather-Sequin-Embellished-Dress/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=4882984&CTARef=Recently%20Viewed&CTARef=Recently%20Viewed&WT.ac=rec_viewed&CTAref=Recently+Viewed

I love Captain's dress too - definitely ordering it to try.

Maloney - what a good find, thank you. Do you think that a printed top from Oasis might look good with a pair of tailored shorts? (Short shorts iyswim). Are short shorts still 'in' for a night out - or a bit old hat?

So grateful for all this help. It's strange how I have forgotten the art of shopping (other than for baby clothes!).

BurningBriquette Mon 03-Aug-15 10:27:05

Sorry Maloney should read Malmsey - annoying autocorrect.

MalmseyWhine Mon 03-Aug-15 10:30:37

I'm a bit too fat and old to know whether it's 'in' but yes, I think one of those print tops would look nice with shorts. If I was a size 8-10 with good legs then I'd probably wear it.

burnishedsilver Mon 03-Aug-15 10:43:23

Total wild card....off the shoulder jumpsuit from Warehouse.

BurningBriquette Mon 03-Aug-15 10:53:04

Thanks Burnished. Not considered a jumpsuit - will possibly order, and see how brave I feel. I always imagine jumpsuitwearers to be impossibly glam. What jewellery would you wear (thinking long necklace perhaps)? Do you think flat pumps (maybe leopard print) would look frumpy with it or chic?

SuperFlyHigh Mon 03-Aug-15 12:16:40

OP - your dress is nice and so is the jumpsuit. the jumpsuit is something you can wear again and again not so much the dress.

if you live near any vintage shops then have a hunt around - I picked up a lovely 70s silk top the other day or how about:-

www.frockery.co.uk/clothing/dresses.html

SuperFlyHigh Mon 03-Aug-15 12:17:19

I love captain's dress too and at £22.00 bargain!

captainflash Mon 03-Aug-15 13:33:10

Like the Warehouse feather dress. Suits the brief of showing off legs and shoulders! My only reservation is how pricey it is- I'm a complete tightwad when it comes to clothes!!
My £22 one was a complete bargain. And I've worn it again since. The sequins have an almost lilac tone to the silver. It is quite short though- comes to mid thigh on me. A good few inches above the knee. But I'm just over 5ft 8" with long legs. I just made sure I wore big knickers!
I'm sure you will look fabulous whatever you choose.

BurningBriquette Mon 03-Aug-15 20:03:23

Thank you for the link to Frockery Super.

Off to order a selection of outfits... for an indulgent trying on session. Thank you everyone for your help - much appreciated!

burnishedsilver Mon 03-Aug-15 21:30:45

I'd prefer high sandals to flats with the jumpsuit burning. Maybe black sandals, a silver clutch bag, silver earing and bracelet/cuff, no necklace.

morepleasegromit Mon 03-Aug-15 22:22:48

Try joythestore.com

They have some beautiful vintage/retro style dresses and reasonably priced too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now