Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone been to a private dermatologist and was it worth it?

(14 Posts)
soverylucky Sat 01-Aug-15 19:30:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CornwallsFinest Sat 01-Aug-15 19:35:33

fiftyshadesofsnail.com/2015/03/28/how-to-shrink-pores-temporarily-plus-3-pore-myths/

Read this blog post. I have been meaning to do this routine but haven't yet got round to it! A few people on the Asian Beauty threads have seen good results from this. If you post on there, someone more experienced than myself could recommend - they don't have to be Asian products smile

ThatJustAintCricket Sat 01-Aug-15 19:37:06

Sorry didn't finish! I don't think a dermatologist is necessarily the answer but if you want to give it a go, do it!

Chicksy Sat 01-Aug-15 19:37:52

Suffered with my skin being truly awful for years. Beauticians sold me tons of stuff that was a complete waste of time. GP wasnt all that helpful but in the end gave me a referral for a Dermatologist so that I could see one privately. A £6 tube of cream he prescribed me literally changed my life. My trip was worth every penny and more. I am just sorry I didnt go 10 years sooner.

CornwallsFinest Sat 01-Aug-15 19:38:05

I shouldn't be allowed to flit between names blush

MrsEricBana Sat 01-Aug-15 19:40:33

I did see a private dermatologist to have a non suspicious mole removed. Chatted about bad skin with her and she said when I get bad flare up go to a dermatologist rather than a beautician as they can treat the root cause via antibiotics or whatever rather than cosmetic solutions. I'd definitely go if it's bothering you. She was recommended dermatologist at our local BMI private clinic.

NormHonal Sat 01-Aug-15 19:43:23

I went to a private dermatologist a few years back and yes, totally worth it. Changed my skin and approach to skincare completely. I don't waste money on fancy products any more but spend it instead on quality facial treatments and products I know work for me.

Bonsoir Sat 01-Aug-15 19:50:38

Yes, and I will go again. I have a fabulous dermatologist that all the family uses.

soverylucky Sat 01-Aug-15 20:04:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Oldieandgoldie Sat 01-Aug-15 20:18:28

It cost me £150-£200 for one consultation and a private prescription, but it was worth every penny! Three or four previous visits to GP had failed to diagnose skin condition, and their prescribed creams had actually made things worse!

PhilomenaSkunk Sat 01-Aug-15 21:30:32

so those of you have been helped by a dermatologist - what did they do/prescribe?

houseHuntinginmanchester Sat 01-Aug-15 23:16:58

Watching with interest- have had a referral to a derm by my gp.

Op could any food be causing a flare up?
I'm just getting to realize that sadly for me it's dairy that causes flare ups and break outs. I love cheese and yoghurt/milk stuffsad

lurkingaround Sat 01-Aug-15 23:42:58

Yes I see a derm every so often. Started when I finally decided I'd had enough of acne and I kept going. I reckon she has saved me thousands.

What did she prescribe? Initially it was Roaccutane, low dose. Marvellous stuff. SPF50, daily, year round is her one Absolute Must. Now that my skin is good, she lets me loose but mainly sticks to recommending La Roche Posay. No fancy regime. She's not into prescribing fancy brands. She likes Glycolic acid, and Retin A, for those that can tolerate it.

violetbunny Sun 02-Aug-15 00:05:43

Yes, for severe acne and it was totally worth it. Nothing else I tried worked. He prescribed me roaccutane which finally rid me of acne.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now