Talk

Advanced search

Any help with hair/hairdresser problem gratefully received!

(6 Posts)
Oldisthenewblack Sat 01-Aug-15 00:12:01

I hate going to the hairdressers, to the point where it's verging on a phobia. I had my hair cut about six months ago after not having been for at least four years. I survived. So I'm plucking up the courage to go again. Now, although I hate everything about the ordeal (overdramatic, me?), one of the worst parts these days is when they blow dry the hair. This is because my hair is fine, thin, and sheds easily. Every time I brush my hair, or even run my fingers through it, I lose hair. So when they enthusiastically launch themselves at my head with a hurty brush and PULL and PULL, my heart rate sky rockets. Last time I honestly wondered if I'd have a new bald patch :-(

So to my question: do you think it's reasonable to ask them to do whatever they need to do to my hair, but to not blow dry it using their implements, just their hands or rough dry it or whatever the term is? In fact, can anyone give me any tips on what to ask for in the first place, style wise? My hair is past shoulder length at the moment, though no particular style, and I want a fair bit off in the hope it will not be quite as lank and pathetic. I asked for some layering last time, but god knows where they were.

Yes this is all quite vague, I'm sorry. I'm not good with hair.

Millipedewithherfeetup Sat 01-Aug-15 00:20:25

Yes of course you can ask them not to blow dry your hair ! You can also get dry trims, basically its your hair and no odds to them at all!

tabulahrasa Sat 01-Aug-15 00:28:57

Mine is curly so I always just leave it to dry...unless I'm having it dried and straightened for a reason.

I don't get it washed always either...just cut.

ImLizawithaZ Sat 01-Aug-15 00:31:09

Get a dry cut.

thomashardon Sat 01-Aug-15 16:59:47

You can absolutely ask for a rough dry ( hands, no brushes) especially if that is what you would normally do yourself. My hairdresser even lets clients dry their own hair while in the salon. When I went through a period of hairloss I asked my hairdresser to be extra gentle, and it was no problem at all.
I have a very similar hair type to you, and I used to have layers cut in at the bottom to try and give it a bit of body and movement. Now I have a blunter cut, and it looks a lot thicker. It's also much easier to style myself. My hair looks terrible longer than shoulder length, as there just isn't enough of it - it ends up looking stringy and lank. I know bobs have a reputation as being boring, but having a well cut longer bob has really helped me feel confident about my thin hair. And I think it suits me too smile
You're paying for it, and you should be happy when you leave!

Oldisthenewblack Sun 02-Aug-15 20:15:13

Thank you everybody for your replies - I feel a bit better now. Thomas - I will ask for a 'rough dry' - never heard of that before, but sounds just like what I'd do at home anyway!

Yes, I'd forgotten a dry cut is also an option - used to have that years ago when I had very, very short hair. I went to a salon attached to a local college last time. Chose there as there's only three work stations and it's situated in a residential home, so very quiet and unthreatening!

Again, thanks all grin)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now