Talk

Advanced search

Help me find lots of clothes right now.

(34 Posts)
NoelEdmondsHighFlyingTurds Fri 31-Jul-15 19:19:22

I've changed job and need an overhaul of clothes. It's a casual industry, and I love the skinnies and ankle boots/brogues thing, but I'm only 5'4" and size 16.

Skinny jeans give me parsnip legs, and of course straight legs don't seem to work with ankle boots. Brogues make my feet look tiny as my legs are short and very fat.

Can't do dresses or skirts because they're all too short - it's impossible to buy a dress that is actually knee length it seems. Also, I want to cover my lower legs anyway.

Am feeling a bit down about it, because I'm overweight and mid 40s I feel like I look really unkempt and butch in straight jeans with turn-ups and trainers. sad

I feel I need to find the perfect jeans or trousers and buy loads of pairs.

stripytees Fri 31-Jul-15 19:29:08

Have you considered brogues with more of a sole to balance the look? Some examples in the Grenson sale.
www.grenson.co.uk/en_gb/sale/womens-sale

Something like the Boden Bistro or Chelsea trousers might work - slim but not skinny leg.

DelphiniumBlue Fri 31-Jul-15 19:30:45

I think skinnies and brogues don't really work unless you are the willowy type ( I'm not!).
You could try slim leg jeans, or apparently flares are back in.
It is hard to find flat shoes smart enough for work that don't make chubby legs look terrible. I've found slim leg jeans plus converse or similar look OK ( but my legs whilst not slim are fairly straight as opposed to curvy).
I don't see why ankle boots should be a problem though, and something not too clunky like Chelsea boots in the same colour as your jeans or trousers might work.

daftbesom Fri 31-Jul-15 19:37:33

Dress and jeggings? Shortness of dress not then a prob, and dress covers the (presumably) widest bit of the "parsnip" so jeggings look fine? Then you can wear your ankle boots.

NoelEdmondsHighFlyingTurds Fri 31-Jul-15 19:53:45

Thanks.

The problem with ankle boots and the jeans I have (Levi Demi Curve straight) is that there's too much material round the ankle, so the boots either sit inside the jeans giving me tiny feet, or the material is bunching up pirate style if I tuck them in.

Bought these Red or Dead brogues, but again, tiny feet syndrome. The ones you linked to are nice Stripy, but out of my price range.

Will have a look at the dreaded dress/jeggings combo, to see if I can find one to match my 'I've Let Myself Go' placard.

stripytees Fri 31-Jul-15 20:53:57

What is your shoe size? Unless actually tiny, are you sure they look as small to others as you think?

The ones I linked to are mostly exactly the same price as your Red or Dead ones as they have a sale on.

Are midi length skirts an option?

Buttwing Fri 31-Jul-15 20:56:04

Roll the jeans up so they sit just above the boot? That's what I do. I've bought some skinny boyfriend (or maybe they are called girlfriend :-/) for aw and will wear them rolled up with slouchy ankle boots and a loose fitting cashmere jumper.

NoelEdmondsHighFlyingTurds Fri 31-Jul-15 21:15:01

It's a 5, but my calves are massive, so they look teeny in comparison.

Where did you get your jeans from, Buttwing? Are you chunky of leg?

You're right, Stripy, there's not a huge difference, and I think crepey sole could be the way to go, but I think the white would dirty very quickly.

Buttwing Sat 01-Aug-15 17:01:08

I got my jeans from mango but I have the reverse problem to you very long thin legs with huge feet, my mum calls me olive oil from popeye thanks mum!!

WaitingForEgg Sat 01-Aug-15 17:37:16

I would say in general ankle boots are a no no if you are short. I would recommend loafers with jeans or knee high boots when cooler. Chunkier brogues could also help to battle the small foot syndrome.
It is possible to get skinny/straight jeans that are the right balance and no too mumsy. I think they need to be clingy enough to look youthful but not skinny. I suggest hunting around for a good fit, Levi's are good and last, dark colours are slimming and more stylish so I would go for an indigo shade.

mrsmeerkat Sat 01-Aug-15 17:40:55

I was watching a style programme the other day (I am similar size to you) and she recommended Molly Jeans for the like of us from River Island.

I googled them and going to try them, they look great.

Don't laugh but I have a really flattering pair of indigo jeans from tesco. People ask me where I got them. They are just fantastic and perfect length.

Don't beat yourself up. I felt like you two months ago. Hit the gym, getting there slowly and you will do it.

NoelEdmondsHighFlyingTurds Sat 01-Aug-15 17:43:17

I'd completely forgotten about Mango! And they do jeans for fat people!

Waiting, is that because ankle boots make legs look shorter? The problem is I don't like loafers, and knee boots don't go over my calves. I like Levi Demi Curve straight, but they don't do them short enough to wear without turn ups, and if I were to get them shortened they'd look like they were half masters. I've got round this in the past by buying bootcut, but unless you're Jennifer Aniston bootcut seems to look hideously dated now.

BikeRunSki Sat 01-Aug-15 17:51:46

Try FatFace SlimStraight jeans. I have very heavy legs, and these fit me like skinnies, but slightly wider on the ankle to prevent carrotiness, but not so wide they get in the way of slim shoes.

NoelEdmondsHighFlyingTurds Sat 01-Aug-15 18:02:43

Thanks Bike, will look at those now.

Ladyconstance Sat 01-Aug-15 18:12:46

I know this isn't as trendy as Levi's but try M&S for jeans in the right size. As for shoes, even a slight heel will make legs look that bit longer and straighter. Keep shoes plain so the eye isn't drawn immediately down. To wear ankle boots, try to have the length of trousers so they fall just over the top of the boot without creasing, so the top of the boot doesn't show. It gives the illusion that you might be wearing thigh high boots for all people know! wink And wedge heels a la Ash trainers can help balance out foot size relative to legs. I'm envious of your new trendy wardrobe already!

BikeRunSki Sat 01-Aug-15 20:44:17

I think they are called Contour Slim now Noel, they are in the Strsight Jeans section of FF website.

NoelEdmondsHighFlyingTurds Sat 01-Aug-15 21:04:07

Thanks. Do you find they wear OK? Several of the reviews mention them getting very baggy.

I've lost count of the amount of clothes I've ordered in the past two days. blush The plan is to do a mammoth trying on session, cry for a bit, and send back everything whatever doesn't suit.

NoelEdmondsHighFlyingTurds Sat 01-Aug-15 21:05:19

Thanks for the tips, Lady. Will look consider wedges.

Ladyconstance Sat 01-Aug-15 22:14:58

Keep us posted on what you decide on smile

NoMilkNoSugar Sun 02-Aug-15 08:53:25

My favourite jeans are matalans relaxed skinny. I'm an apple shape with skinny legs and I find they help balance my shape up without the carrot leg.

WaitingForEgg Sun 02-Aug-15 11:59:20

Noel I definitely think ankle boots make legs look shorter, it cuts you off at the ankle.
You can find "wide fit" long boots, new look and quite a few other places sell them. My sister in law can never buy long boots unless she buys the wider fit. I think skinnies will be fine on you as long as they are wide enough at the ankle, I also second River Island, strangely good fit jeans wise, tho can be a bit low. A good tip is to shop on asos, order lots of pairs to try and send back what doesn't look good. They have their own petite range which is pretty good.

burnishedsilver Sun 02-Aug-15 12:09:08

Don't rule out dresses because of the length. It's not expensive to either have the hem taken up or add length with a false hem.

NoelEdmondsHighFlyingTurds Sun 02-Aug-15 15:58:30

Those of you saying nay to the ankle boot, what would you go for instead? I really don't like high boots over trousers unless they're calf length, and isn't that going to be unflattering too?
Converse? Chunky brogues? Other trainers?
I feel like I have no idea how to dress myself bearing in mind what's actually fashionable at the moment.sad

NoelEdmondsHighFlyingTurds Sun 02-Aug-15 16:07:16

What about these?

RaisingSteam Sun 02-Aug-15 16:38:13

I've got some navy suede desert boots (they were Boden) i really love with either slim boot cut or slim -not skin tight- jeans. My best jeans are from Levis - worth it just try on loads. something about the navy suede blends into the jeans so the shoes aren't so much of a feature and don't shorten the legs, but they still look casual.

Something like clarks orinoco boots might work I see a lot of people wearing those with jeans.

Proportions of your top/jacket make a lot of difference to the overall balance of your silhouette too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now