Talk

Advanced search

Help! I own too many clothes- how many of each do I actually need?

(24 Posts)
MTWTFSS Fri 31-Jul-15 12:03:50

As the title says, HELP please! I own way too much! I would love to have a small capsule wardrobe smile

How many of each do I actually need?

TIA smile

FrugalFashionista Fri 31-Jul-15 12:21:39

Depends on your lifestyle and how often you want to do laundry. A popular way to test it out is to pack away everything except 33 items that you will use for the next 3 months - google Project 333 and you'll see lots of experiences.

I live out of a suitcase a lot and what I actually need is 2-3 of each basic item (jeans, tees, blouses, vests, jackets, everyday shoes) plus 7-8 sets of underwear so that I can launder them once a week. Add in one gym kit and I'm all set!

I have too many clothes too. About a quarter of them, I actually use. A quarter are dressy work outfits, mostly jackets, that I use less and less as work dress codes have become more casual. About a quarter are festive outfits (each used 1-2 times per year max), and a quarter are coats blush

Jennifer Baumgartner has a great book, You Are What You Wear - it helps with clearouts and wardrobe organizing.

Mimigolightly Fri 31-Jul-15 12:25:58

Rubbish - you can't have too many clothes! You just need bigger wardrobes grin

dexter73 Fri 31-Jul-15 12:27:53

Mimi - I definitely agree with you!

LitreOfTea Fri 31-Jul-15 12:30:43

I don't believe in the capsule wardrobe idea. Why should you impose a uniform upon yourself. I fold up loads of jeans I hardly ever wear and keep them on a high up shelf if they don't fit. I'm glad I didn't throw out all my boot cut jeans now! I have an old pair of Oasis boot cut jeans, and I dug them out!

I do have two wardrobes thuogh and I put what I wear most often in there.

BelindaAllWorkedOut Fri 31-Jul-15 12:37:54

Obv it varies from person to person. I would hate a capsule wardrobe, but, on the other hand, I'm now on the cusp of having "too many clothes".

I must have about 20 blouses / shirts, 20 knits, 20 jackets, 20 coats, 20 pairs of trousers, about 20 pairs of jeans, 15 skirts, and 30 dresses. About 50 pairs of shoes and 15-20 handbags. I've got lots of options, which I enjoy.

However, if I have any more than this, then I will feel too stressed with not being able to find and/or forgetting what I have.

LitreOfTea Fri 31-Jul-15 12:43:14

It is hard to know what to throw out. I throw out clothes only if they shrink, get stained, or ripped or look old. I probably have more than is advised though. And I do wear the same four or five tops all the time.

SpecificOcean Fri 31-Jul-15 12:48:24

Bet most of us on here have the same problem! I knew I had too many when I had 2 wardrobes bursting at the seams. Regular culls have got rid of the tat. I bet I wear 80% regularly- taking seasons into account. I do a capsule wardrobe for work because it's easy but not otherwise. I like to have lots of choice not just what's clean smile

FrugalFashionista Fri 31-Jul-15 12:55:17

I have my clothes spread across four wardrobes and it is definitely too much. I can't remember what I have, don't wear each item even once a year and although all styles eventually do come back, I have changed shape, don't wear super short skirts any more etc.

I've just completed a huge clearout and found a lot of clothes from the mid-1990s. While many of them are experiencing a comeback right now, I am no longer a twentysomething - grunge and 'librarian' clothes no longer look good on me, and I don't wear suits to work any more. I am the same size but a bit bustier and with less waist definition. So out of the many possible options, I found that just one item is was actually still wearable.

MereKaffe Sat 01-Aug-15 11:47:51

Yes, even uf things come back in, they're not right on a forty something :-p
That slightly prissy look, is it called librarian? High neck shirts with bows! That would make me look like a real librarian. A former librarian! On a small pension.

I pick my clothes very carefully so im surprised i dont look better. I feel like i put a lot of work in to looking ok.

GeorginaWorsley Sat 01-Aug-15 12:15:14

I make the mistake of finding something I love then buying loads of similar things.
My wardrobe is mainly navy,grey,silver,white, bit of black and taupe.
I have too many grey and navy tops of every persuasion, tees,jumpers, cardigans, jackets...
And this week I bought a navy silk top in The White Company saleblush

specialsubject Sat 01-Aug-15 12:35:09

put away what you haven't worn in a year. If it hasn't been worn after another of the appropriate season has passed, get rid.

only rarely worn things you should keep are a respectable outfit for a funeral and something to wear for a wedding/smart outing, just in case.

oh, and if you can't wear the fugly heels or stupid ballet flats that are all that are sold now, and own normal shoes, keep those as it is now impossible to get replacements.

otherwise, if it doesn't fit with your current lifestyle, out it goes.

Itscurtainsforyou Sat 01-Aug-15 13:06:25

I try to separate clothes into work and casual. So for work I'll have:
- 2-3 pairs of trousers in my base colours of brown/khaki etc (try not to wear black and don't wear skirts)
- 4-5 work tops in a variety of colours that go with my trousers
- 2-3 jackets and 1-2 cardigans that go with above colours

Out of work I have:
- 2 pairs of jeans
- 2 pairs of casual trousers
- 5-6 s/s or t-shirt tops
- 3-4 l/s tops
- 3-4 jumpers
- 2-3 cardigans

I also have a variety of long vests that I can wear under clothes when cold, plus footwear such as smart work shoes (x2), casual shoes such as converse/superga (x2), 3 pairs of boots (black/brown/oxblood) and some sandals.

In terms of coats I have a brown leather jacket, lightweight summer jacket, waterproof and a cape for winter.

I've done project 333 in the past, which has helped me reduce my clothes to those I really like. I find that amount of clothes is just right for me.

lotrben17 Sat 01-Aug-15 13:14:29

I agree I lovrd fussy stuff and long skirts when I was in my 20s and obviously not old and now I have to stick with plain stuff and knee/just below skirts as I just look frumpy. 3 closets is too many imo. I got rid of a lot after dc1 but I'm still not much better at buying timeless stuff...

Nonnainglese Sat 01-Aug-15 13:16:14

I am not going to confess how many clothes I have....55 tee shirts will give you some idea sad
I no longer need to power dress therefore probably 80% of my clothes can go, along with most of my 35 pairs of shoes.
blush

I have one clothes rail, one drawer and three small shelves. If I want something more than that, I have to get rid of something.

ZaraW Sat 01-Aug-15 13:47:41

I have one small wardrobe and cupboard I can easily fit my clothes in there. I like the feeling of not having too much stuff and the clothing I have I wear on a regular basis.

Notcontent Sat 01-Aug-15 16:57:02

I love the idea of a capsule wadrobe but I think I would get bored...
I do have regular clear outs and now most of the things I have are ones I really like - but I still think I only wear half, or even less.

Lovinglife45 Sun 02-Aug-15 01:03:53

I wish I had the problem of too many clothes! My wardrobe has no theme, many clothes do not match and some are up to 6 years old.

I have not been in the position to buy clothes in bulk for some years now so I add a few pieces here and there. 80% of my wardrobe is full of clothes I do not like or are unflattering. I cannot chuck them as I will not be left with enough to get me through the week. I often what it must be like to but clothes I truly like rather than because it is in the sale.

FionaGallagher Sun 02-Aug-15 02:10:21

I have a lot of shoes. I have always had a lot of shoes.

Clothes, probably normal amount (I mean, maybe same as most girls). But shoes are another story.

Oly4 Sun 02-Aug-15 20:13:54

I love clothes - not interested in a capsule wardrobe at all!
I have around 50 knots, 50 tops, 12 long sleeve Bretons and so on.
I make a point of trawling through so I get good use out of stuff. I would hate to wear the same clothes all the time

Oly4 Sun 02-Aug-15 20:14:16

Knits. Not knots
Nitwit

JaceLancs Sun 02-Aug-15 22:36:31

I have lots of clothes - always buying new stuff, but in sale, on eBay or from a charity shop
I get bored with some things very easily on the other hand I have some items of clothing which I owned pre children (as they are 22 and 23 that's quite an achievement!)
Every 2-3 months I have a good clear out, sell a few things and buy a few more
Love bright colours but try and stick to a theme to mix and match - this season I have a lemon and coral obsession

woodhill Sun 02-Aug-15 22:51:21

I have 1 wardrobe but share another with dh. I pack Winter clothing away. I tend to buy certain colours and have similar items I.e 3 pink t shirt/blouses. I do try to wear things and buy things on offer or in sales.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now