Talk

Advanced search

Sunhats (adult and children)

(12 Posts)
AmazonsForEver Fri 31-Jul-15 11:19:39

About to go on holiday, neither DH not DD can fit into their sunhats!
Please tell me where I can get adult male and tweenage DD hats tomorrow (I.e. physical shop not online)
They usually have the bucket hat type but I'm open to more on-trend suggestions. We are close to major shopping centre so most brands I'd think, just don't have masses of time.
DH needs to protect his crown, DD her eyes as well as crown as cannot wear sunglasses due to specs.
TIA for reading the most boring S&B thread this week smile

nobodysfool Fri 31-Jul-15 11:27:45

Primark have loads of men's and teenagers hats smile

CMOTDibbler Fri 31-Jul-15 11:29:09

I have a nice trilby sun hat from the mens department of M&S which has enough brim to protect all round. It looks like they have some nice girls trilbys as well.

You could do click and collect with M&S and then see if they like them on - if not you can return straightaway, but don't have to worry if they actually have them in the store when you get there

dementedpixie Fri 31-Jul-15 11:29:24

Could you not have got your dd prescription sunglasses? Dh just wore a cap from sports direct.

AmazonsForEver Fri 31-Jul-15 11:38:07

Thank you all. DD cannot have prescription sunnies due to complicated strong prescription. For one week a year it's really not worth the expense!

specialsubject Fri 31-Jul-15 16:38:13

she only needs sunglasses on holiday? So do you live somewhere that never has sunshine???

DonkeyOaty Fri 31-Jul-15 16:44:38

Go Outdoors have a huge range.

CMOTDibbler Fri 31-Jul-15 16:56:57

SS- I have my first pair of prescription glasses aged 42 as my complex prescription made them far too expensive previously as 2 for 1 offers exclude all the lens upgrades. I've worn glasses since I was 13, so have never possessed any sunglasses.
Sunglasses aren't a vital part of life imo, unlike a sunhat

DelphiniumBlue Sat 01-Aug-15 00:36:52

M&s do men's hats in different sizes, might be useful if your DH has a bigger head. But wondering how a grown man can grow out of a hat??

TheyreMadITellYouMaaaad Sat 01-Aug-15 00:55:31

Any of the outdoor shops will still be carrying decent sunhats: Millets, Blacks, Cotswold, etc. (Cotswold carry Tilley Hats, the best sunhats ever.)

As for your dd's eyes, sunglasses are really important, especially if she already has vision problems. A hat alone isn't good enough. Boots do a range of clip-ons to suit various frames (though you may need a large Boots to find the whole range). I wear them, and have a complex and expensive prescription.

AmazonsForEver Sat 01-Aug-15 01:09:34

Delphinium- I think it has shrunk in the wash! grin
Thanks they'remad- I'll look at those type.
We haven't been advised by the hospital to get her sunglasses- you'd think this would be something they would have raised?

TheyreMadITellYouMaaaad Sat 01-Aug-15 07:24:00

I remember being told to avoid squinting for focus, so I expect squinting because of excess light is also unhelpful. Certainly, IME, squinting against the brightness makes my eyes even more tired than the normal day's eyestrain.

But, long term, excess sunlight in the eyes is associated with accellerating the degenerative changes that people with extreme prescriptions are already at a higher risk of.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now