Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Calling all vest people...

(22 Posts)
Callycatsy Fri 31-Jul-15 09:39:36

Can you tell me what you're doing with them please? I see them mentioned a lot as basic staples but I own only one that I'd wear to sleep in if it was hot.

As they have such thin straps I'd never wear one in public as I'm a busty size 12.

I see layering mentioned but don't understand how that works. Is it invisible layering for a layer of warmth or a visible layer because it shows underneath?

Thank you!

flightywoman Fri 31-Jul-15 09:50:13

I am obsessed with vests! I have about 30, they're a wardrobe staple.

And I wear them in all the ways you describe. Winter, as a layer under another top or under a low v-neck jumper or cardi.

In summer on their own with a skirt or linen trousers.

I'm a busty 18 ish and have no problem with thin straps, I just make sure I have a decent bra in same or coordinating colour.

Primark basics are good, lots of colours and a few styles, their vest dresses can be worn as a very long top too.

DarylDixonsDarlin Fri 31-Jul-15 10:05:16

Always thought I hated vests and the way they look on me, until I stopped going for spaghetti strap style and went for tank top style instead - much thicker straps over the shoulder, little bit more coverage at the sides. Perfect for me.

I sometimes wear one as a layer under a blouse/cardi, or in very hot weather I wear one on its own with jeans or a skirt, but it has to be really unbearably hot for me to do this as I have a tattoo I try to keep covered. Spaghetti strap vests look great on some delicate shouldered women, terrible on me, size 12, broad shoulders!

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 31-Jul-15 10:23:43

Uniqlo have some really nice ones with built in bra.

I sometimes wear a vest+light cardi as a twinset.
And I have a rogues gallery of M&S in taupe (colour is called "Ancient" which is fitting grin ) that I wear under my white work tunic (so that no-one can peer down my cleavage)

Indomitable Fri 31-Jul-15 10:28:18

I am a vest wearer, under all tops, all the time (unless it's 25C+). Mostly for warmth (I get cold), partly for 'security'.

I rarely wear them by themselves.

I got a couple of nice non-spaghetti-strap ones in Peacocks recently.

SpecificOcean Fri 31-Jul-15 12:08:37

Spaghetti straps ones I mainly wear for sleeping in. I live in the tank top ones. Often layer with another vest, crop top or slouchy jumper. Also wear them on their own- but have to get perfect fit for that- not too clingy and petfect length.
Bustyish size 10.

FrugalFashionista Fri 31-Jul-15 12:26:25

I live in spaghetti strap vests. I am long and lean with delicate bone structure and they look better on me than tank tops and muscle shirts. I always feel the cold (wearing a heavy wool cardigan right now!) so I use them under blouses, shirts, sweatshirts and sweaters for warmth and in hot weather for sleeping in, but very rarely on their own.

Callycatsy Sat 01-Aug-15 18:45:49

Brilliant, that's really helpful everyone, thanks.

Itsalldramarama Sat 01-Aug-15 19:34:38

I love vests ! Also use them for a layered look under a slouchy tee , to stop them clinging together I use a short tight vest as a 'bump belt" sort of thing !! Pull it on over jeans to hip length and tuck the straps in !! Also works with a boob tube !! ... Voila .. A layered but comfortable look smile

Callycatsy Sun 02-Aug-15 08:46:35

That's clever! I will be more experimental in future smile

SylvanianCaracal Sun 02-Aug-15 09:12:54

I loooove my vests. Have to admit I do like wearing them as pjs (with pj bottoms or shorts) and I love them for that, but I do also wear all the time. I'm tall, so it's hard to find tops that are long enough but I have some long vests that I layer underneath, giving you a band of a different colour that can liven things up a bit. I'll wear a vest under a constrasting cardie, or in summer just as a top with jeans or a maxi skirt. If you get a nice bra with pretty or coloured straps, it looks fine if the bra strap shows a bit. (Invisible or flesh toned doesn't look as good though IMO.) And you can also wear a vest under a sheer or crochet floaty top or shirt.

Agree Uniglo is great, also Gap, and Superdry/Jack Wills/Hollister etc. are really good for vests that are nice and long.

mysteryfairy Sun 02-Aug-15 15:07:41

Hush extra long layering vests are good on their own in summer or under a boxy jumper.

carrie74 Sun 02-Aug-15 19:48:56

I'm a total vest convert! I have loads of Primark White and black ones spaghetti strap ones (and a grey one as well. Maybe another colour too). I wear them in winter as a layering base layer under a LS top (unless it's REALLY cold, then I wear thermals).

In summer I wear them under low cut tops, or layered under racer back vests (my favourite type of vest). Occasionally I'll wear them layered with each other, but I'm not keen on showing bra straps, so this is rare. I don't like thicker vest straps, as they don't suit me brilliantly.

And I also wear them to bed in summer.

carrie74 Sun 02-Aug-15 19:49:35

Oh, and also under sheer going out tops and dresses that need a bit of coverage.

NewsreaderChic Sun 02-Aug-15 19:56:13

Agree with all the above plus I am long in the body so a lot of tops finish at a length that is too short so I wear a vest under kind of poking out. That way I'm not in danger of flashing either a tummy or the tops of my knickers and its more flattering somehow.

I quite like a coloured vest under a thin loose white t-shirt, I like the thin T's, but they're hard to pull off with just a bra under when you're in your forties.

Also they kind of smooth out your lumps and bumps.

Dd1 (16) wears long black ones under band t-shirts and over skinny jeans.

My dd's and I all steal each other's.

Oly4 Sun 02-Aug-15 20:08:46

I love vests - all wide strap to cover bras, all with stretch. I wear them in summer with skirts and in winter under cardigans, jumpers etc. they are wonderful for
Layering

rockybalboa Sun 02-Aug-15 20:15:10

I am still stuck in a breastfeeding habit of wearing a thin strapped longish vest under most tops. I don't need them for feeding anymore but I actually quite like the layered look, especially as a lot of my tops Boden I am looking at you suddenly get mysteriously shorter after a while and I don't want my belly hanging out.

I live in H&M long spaghetti strap ones, as a base layer underneath shirts or t-shirts. I like them because they cover my tummy/bum and mean I can wear shorter tops and not go down the dreaded 'tunic' route.

Tanaqui Sun 02-Aug-15 20:44:54

Does anyone have any pics of how they mean them under tee shirts? Or long enough to cover bum? Does it not just look bulky? Thank you.

This was the best picture I could find with a quick glance. Mine are very fitted, so not bulky. The pic seems to be with leggings, but I wear skinny jeans.

Tanaqui Sun 02-Aug-15 20:55:08

Thanks Remus- I couldn't picture it from the descriptions but it looks good!

southeastastra Sun 02-Aug-15 20:57:51

i love the Hennes ones the most but lately have got some from topshop

it's best to have one that holds you in so a close fitting gap one is nice (gap body) though that can ride up. place like tk maxx are worth looking in as tehy have some nice vesty type hold you in underwear

if they are close fitting they won't look bulky

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now