Talk

Advanced search

Black tie wedding! What do I wear?

(16 Posts)
FatimaLovesBread Thu 30-Jul-15 20:19:08

We have a black tie wedding to attend in September. DH will be hiring a tux. What do women wear? Can I go for something knee length or does it have to be long and posh?

WipsGlitter Thu 30-Jul-15 21:51:44

Long dress.

HolidayHeidi Thu 30-Jul-15 21:54:00

It's your choice entirely. I've been to a few and find that younger women wear knee length and the older generation were in full length.

AlisonBlunderland Thu 30-Jul-15 21:59:53

I went to a black tie wedding last year.
Mother of bride and of groom both full length dresses.
Quite a few others in long.
I wore ballerina length (sleeveless) and didn't feel "wrong"

A few of bride's age in short.

So frankly anything!

chicaguapa Thu 30-Jul-15 22:00:04

I would wear a long cocktail style dress, but nothing like a ballroom dress.

FatimaLovesBread Fri 31-Jul-15 08:20:25

Oh bum! I look rubbish in long dresses grin

B and G are in their late 20s as am I. Does that mean I can get away with knee length?
I can't really do below the knee or mid-calf as they make me look stumpy. So would have to be on the knee or full length.

Will have a search online. I'm 5 foot 4 and size 10. But I have a lumpy middle, combination of love handles and mum tum that needs disguising.

I'll also try to find out what others are wearing

Featherbluedot Fri 31-Jul-15 12:23:50

You need to look your best so knee length if it suits you better, one block colour no patterns, will look more elegant IMHO, a great bustline, and fitted at the waist. Preferably not a flimsy fabric and try and ensure it has a lining.

Go for a colour that suits you, not black, as it's a cheerful occasion, or white or cream.

burnishedsilver Fri 31-Jul-15 12:28:36

Lots of women wear cocktail dresses to black tie weddings.

Lottapianos Fri 31-Jul-15 12:28:54

Sorry for hijacking, but you don't wear hats to a black tie wedding, do you? I saw photos of a black tie wedding a few years ago where some of the women were wearing full length evening dresses with big wedding-type hats and I thought it looked very strange. I'm no fashionista though so happy to be corrected!

CloserToFiftyThanTwenty Fri 31-Jul-15 16:21:55

what featherdot said! What's your budget, OP, and what is your normal style?

HolidayHeidi Fri 31-Jul-15 16:27:36

Lorain no fashionista either but no no no.

HolidayHeidi Fri 31-Jul-15 16:28:03

Lottapianos!

Thurlow Fri 31-Jul-15 16:30:00

We were at a black tie wedding last summer. Some women wore long dresses, but only if it suited them. Most wore cocktail dresses - basically, not the sort of flowery, floaty dress with a fascinator that you might wear to a normal wedding, but something a bit more evening.

I wore this Closet dress with a bright necklace and bag to lighten it, and it fit in perfectly. And I have to say it is really flattering around the stomach. Insanely flattering. To the point that I bought it full price, some of the beads came off as I stupidly put it in the washing machine and I'm happily paying to have beads put back on as I love this dress so much.

CloserToFiftyThanTwenty Fri 31-Jul-15 16:31:20

I've fallen in love with this dress, though the colour might not suit everyone

sonata1 Fri 31-Jul-15 17:35:08

My DD is getting married this weekend and it is Black tie. There will be cocktail and long.As MOB I am wearing a dress and matching jacket. MIL will wear long.So really it's up to you. Off for another couple of paracetomol !

FatimaLovesBread Fri 31-Jul-15 18:17:38

Budget is no more than £100 really, ideally closer to £50 as we've to pay for DHs tux hire. But I think £50 will be a big ask.

Normall style is skinnies, t shirt and converse grin
If I'm going out it tends to be black skinnies and a nice top, fit and flare style dresses. Normally oasis, warehouse, yumi type

Would this work? Or too fussy?

Will sit down with the laptop tonight

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now