Talk

Advanced search

Another silly question but - do you do your skincare stuff after the shower in the mornings? What do you do with your face in the shower?!

(29 Posts)
DentalRenovation Thu 30-Jul-15 12:53:54

I just can't imagine not using a flannel and scrubbing my face with really hot water in the shower, it's what makes me feel properly clean blush

Should I not be doing this, if I am doing all the steps after my shower? Are flannels + water that's too hot bad for the skin?? Could I give it a very gentle wipe with a flannel?

Do you do anything with your face in the shower at all?

This is probably a ridiculous question but I genuinely don't know if I'm fecking up my skin more if I do this.

Thurlow Thu 30-Jul-15 12:59:01

I use at St Ives scrub every day. I'm sure you're not supposed to use it daily but it's habit now.

Bluecheese22 Thu 30-Jul-15 13:06:44

I use hot cloth cleanser and flannel at night then just a gel cleanser (no7) in the shower in the morning

I use either a gentle scrub or a cleanser and flannel in the shower. SPF when I get out, then make-up. Seems to really suit my skin.

pinkfrocks Thu 30-Jul-15 13:21:44

That seems really brutal! I do nothing except a quick wipe over with a micellar liquid on cotton wool then apply moisturiser, sun block then make up- all after coming out of the shower.

4kidsandaunicorn Thu 30-Jul-15 13:22:24

Hot cloth cleanser in the shower every morning, same at night (minus the shower) if I have worn make up.

Before I knew better (discovered the error of my ways on a MN) I used to use wet wipes to remove make up, followed by a foaming face wash.

pinkfrocks Thu 30-Jul-15 13:23:49

Unless you use a clean flannel daily, you will be spreading bacteria on your skin and possibly introducing infection to the pores by harsh rubbing. Also water tends to dry skin out especially if you are in a hard water area.

SuperFlyHigh Thu 30-Jul-15 13:28:27

I wash my face in the shower with a face wash and my hands...

at weekends or every other day I use a face scrub.

then moisturiser and SPF

DentalRenovation Thu 30-Jul-15 13:30:58

My skin is very dry so that does point to it being a stupid habit that needs to stop.

When I was at the skin consultation the scanned my face in a machine, and said there was no bacteria on the skin, so not so worried on that score.

But looks like I will have to stop. I'm sure it's just habit, but it's kind of appalling me that I can't give my face a good scrub anymore. It feels so fresh after!

I do use a fresh flannel every day, so do the DCs, we've got loads of them. I don't scrub hard though, just use it to remove cleanserand only use scrub about twice a week. Very rarely get a spot. On the other hand micellar water is highly irritating to my skin.

Judydreamsofhorses Thu 30-Jul-15 14:01:40

I use cleansing balm with a flannel morning and night - in the shower in the morning. Clean flannel every morning, we have a wicker basket with tons of them in the bathroom.

MamaLazarou Thu 30-Jul-15 14:12:33

I used to wash with hot water but it gave me thread veins sad

As for a skin consultant saying there is no bacteria on your skin... That's just completely untrue. Bacteria are everywhere, all the time.

What I don't do is let the hot water run straight onto my face, I keep my head out and use a flannel which I wet and rinse under the shower to wash off cleanser, or hands and rinse for the scrub. That might make a difference.

5446 Thu 30-Jul-15 14:19:17

I don't wash my face in the shower, hot water dries the skin on my face out (although weirdly not as bad on the rest of my body).

I'll give it a quick splash and then cleanse it when I get out of the shower.

I also use a fresh flannel every day. DP finds my flannel fetish hysterical. I just have to stop the cleaner nicking them to wipe the bath hmm

bonzo77 Thu 30-Jul-15 14:21:10

Mild foaming cleanser applied with my hands in the shower. Mild exfoliator 1-2x a week. Then serum etc once out.

hippospot Thu 30-Jul-15 14:23:42

I use Simple foaming face wash in the shower, with not-too-hot water.

In the evening I double cleanse but in the morning I figure there's only a bit of sweat to remove, not dirt or make-up smile

I'm sure Sali Hughes once said this face wash was quite gentle, although usually she is against foaming cleansers.

BlairWaldorfLovesShopping Thu 30-Jul-15 17:45:51

I do not get my face wet in the shower at all (unless water runs onto my skin from my hair).

My dermatologist told me that cold or hot water directly on the face promotes acne and I should use tepid water only, which I do when I cleanse after getting out of my morning shower.

daftyburd Thu 30-Jul-15 18:19:34

I try and not get my face wet in shower. I like my shower hot but I have rosacia which flares if exposed to extreme temperatures. When I get out I clean with ultrabland, tepid water and a clean flannel.

U2HasTheEdge Thu 30-Jul-15 19:08:32

I just don't get water on my face, then I get out and wash my face with ultrabland/ super drug hot cloth.

I hate water from the shower over my face anyway.

Coastingit Thu 30-Jul-15 21:41:36

I shower with quite tepid water, I am a wuss about hot water and feel like it burns my body skin!

So I wash my hair first then body, then massage Cetaphil or other creamy gentle cleanser in to my face and splash off using water from the shower cupped in my hands. Always double cleanse do it twice

I have mild rosacea and can't use scrubbing with a flannel, and like to use water to wash so may as well do it in the shower. If my shower has been warmer than usual I'll just turn it down a notch before washing my face.

I moisturise my face then body as soon as I get out of the shower - dry thirsty skin.

pinkfrocks Thu 30-Jul-15 21:50:04

I don't understand all this 'water on the face in the shower' lark smile

I never ever get my face wet in the shower. You surely must get your hair all wet too?

My shower is aimed at the neck down only.

I've never ever 'washed' my face since I was about 12. Always used cleansing lotion and a quick wipe with cotton wool wet with tepid water. Have good skin, no spots, wrinkles etc.

fredabear Thu 30-Jul-15 22:07:38

I use a foaming cleanser in the shower, but no flannel. I definitely understand what you mean about it feeling lovely and rest OP, perhaps try a cleanser for dry skin, but without the flannel as a half way measure?

CiderwithBuda Thu 30-Jul-15 22:14:16

I always used a facial wash but have started using a cleansing balm instead which I remove with a clean flannel and warm water. I use three flannels a day. Double cleanse in the evening so use two usually and another in the morning. I have loads of flannels. All white. Wash at 60 with towels.

Janethegirl Thu 30-Jul-15 22:19:24

Face gets washed in the shower with the shampoo I've applied to my hair, it then gets nicely conditioned. But only on the days I wash my hair grin

Face wipes on other days.

Melonfool Thu 30-Jul-15 22:23:12

I wash my hair in the shower but since following CH I don't wash my face in the shower, I try not to get it wet. I now use hot cloth cleanser after I get out and wash off with a clean flannel.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now