Talk

Advanced search

Festival fashion for a chubster- dress me please!

(23 Posts)
MrsTatum1980 Mon 27-Jul-15 19:12:15

Going to my first 'festival' at the end of August and I am a 34 year old chubster. I live and die in tights and skater style dresses (quite fitted and smart, I struggle with casual!) due to being a size 16 (at a squeeze!) Much smaller top half, small waist and then it all goes wrong! Big hips (child bearing according to my grandmother!), wobbly mummy/mars bar tummy and chunky legs.
Trousers dislike me it seems and I love the colour black! I am also definitely not cool whereas my DP is so I want to make an effort and rock the festival chic look (or at least not look a twat or like a secretary who wandered into a field)
Help dress me please (and make it budget festival chic as I'm still on maternity pay!)

Tweezertastic Mon 27-Jul-15 19:18:28

Nothing wrong with a skater dress maybe just use accessories to funk the dress up. I will have a look and post some suggestions!

Tweezertastic Mon 27-Jul-15 19:20:26

This dress. www.dorothyperkins.com/en/dpuk/product/sale-offers-3422804/view-all-sale-4527816/palm-print-denim-cami-dress-4403827?bi=1&ps=20

MrsTatum1980 Mon 27-Jul-15 19:22:12

Do I have to (sucks in deep breath) go bare legged? I think my 100 denier faithful friends will make me look over dressed. Also, ridiculous question but whilst looking through pics to try and steal ideas, everyone is stick thin and wearing hot pants...where are the curvy people?! Thank you for your help tweezertastic...I'm googling hats pretending I'll be able to carry it off!

Tweezertastic Mon 27-Jul-15 19:22:12

This on top of the dress. www.dorothyperkins.com/en/dpuk/product/sale-offers-3422804/view-all-sale-4527816/grey-lace-trim-kimono-4356259?bi=1&ps=20

Tweezertastic Mon 27-Jul-15 19:22:58

Footless tights/ leggings are the answer!

MrsTatum1980 Mon 27-Jul-15 19:23:36

I like the dress! Long necklace and jangly bracelets? Ooh I could wear that easily

MrsTatum1980 Mon 27-Jul-15 19:25:02

Excellent news! I am prepared to brave it if not too short as I'm sporting a cracking tan at the min (if I do say so myself) but would much prefer leggings

Tweezertastic Mon 27-Jul-15 19:25:03

Skater dress www.dorothyperkins.com/en/dpuk/product/sale-offers-3422804/view-all-sale-4527816/petite-floral-skater-dress-4506340?bi=1&ps=200

Tweezertastic Mon 27-Jul-15 19:29:05

A another kimono. www.dorothyperkins.com/en/dpuk/product/sale-offers-3422804/view-all-sale-4527816/black-aztec-print-lace-kimono-4456258?bi=1&ps=200

Tweezertastic Mon 27-Jul-15 19:31:40

Could be Good for autumn too www.dorothyperkins.com/en/dpuk/product/sale-offers-3422804/view-all-sale-4527816/paisley-stripe-hem-dress-4446920?bi=1&ps=200

defineme Mon 27-Jul-15 19:41:56

The curvy people were either sweating it out in jeans (don't do that) or looking cool and comfortable in what everyone else was wearing ie some combination of leggings/dresses/vests/kimonos/shorts and a hoody on top at night ....actually a lot of people put their jeans and trainers on at night. I would go heavy on the insect repellent and you'll have a great time.

MrsTatum1980 Mon 27-Jul-15 19:44:53

Really like the first dress and flower one! Thank you, I'm feeling honoured to have my own personal stylist grin

MrsTatum1980 Mon 27-Jul-15 19:49:47

Haha defineme, it is normally me sat in the sun in jeans and a cardigan to cover the dreaded bingo wings insisting I'm a bit chilly whilst wiping sweat from my top lip! I think as I won't know anyone I kind of want to embrace wearing the trend a bit! It's just a matter of plucking up the courage and not seeing it as fancy dress! I've a pair of denim shorts that I'll wear on holiday and in the back garden that aren't too short so cover the worst, I'm thinking if I wear a long kimono/waistcoat and vest I might get away with them in public! Plus I know that no one will actually be interested, it's just my own insecurities!

WilburIsSomePig Mon 27-Jul-15 19:50:17

Ooo I really like that paisley dress! I have no money, stop posting things that I like! grin

RonaldosAbs Mon 27-Jul-15 19:52:55

Hey now, don't be so hard on yourself. I lost a VAST amount of weight years back and one thing that really helped me was stopping using really negative language to talk about myself like chubster/mars bar tummy etc. (Not saying you have to lose weight if you don't want to but just in general try to be kinder to yourself) You don't need to be self deprecating and apologetic about your body.

I would go with a nice dress, love the palm print first dress linked here with that white kimono, also, go with flip flop type sandals if you wear sandals, don't go with things that wrap around your ankles, I had many an uncomfortable afternoon with sandal straps cutting into my swollen legs/ankles when I was bigger.

WilburIsSomePig Mon 27-Jul-15 20:06:52

one thing that really helped me was stopping using really negative language to talk about myself like chubster/mars bar tummy etc.

YY - agree with all of the above.

MrsTatum1980 Mon 27-Jul-15 20:10:10

I'm bowing my head like a naughty child Ronaldo'sAbs but know you are right! Humour is my defence!
I'm just fed up of seeing things is love to wear but can't due to size, there's no self pity as I have no one to blame but myself. That's a whole other post though. I think I've slipped into hiding behind the same clothes day in, day out waiting to miraculously lose my baby weight with no effort. So this is my attempt to jazz things up a bit and embrace the body I have now and still make the effort, if that makes sense! I have sandals and brown ankle boots so will embrace the dress/kimono or waistcoat and lots of jewellery look!
Plus I'm liking this hat m.newlook.com/shop/womens/accessories/stone-straw-band-trim-floppy-hat-_339503816 and obviously after 3 days my hair will look just like that! wink

Tweezertastic Mon 27-Jul-15 20:15:23

Thanks Mrs!

Dukketeater Mon 27-Jul-15 20:17:55

I'm very curvy and my festival outfits this year consisted of... Denim shirt, leggings and converse, denim dress and wellies, jeans, vest top and a fringe off the shoulder crop top, maci dress and a boob tube style bright print knee length a-line dress... All coupled with festival wanker hairbands and a pinky purple lipstick!

EmmaWoodlouse Mon 27-Jul-15 20:18:23

I really like that first dress - I'd wear it myself and I am about the same size as you and a good deal older! If you really don't want to show your legs (which doesn't have to be because you hate them, maybe they are just really pale and would get burnt easily if you nearly always wear opaques), I think that dress could work well over really faded, holey jeans.

Would you wear Converses (or one of the cheaper version)? I always think they look very suitable for a festival and they have so many colours, you could get one that really cheers you up and gets you noticed.

Tweezertastic Mon 27-Jul-15 20:18:35

Try Code JUST4U for an extra ten percent off

MrsTatum1980 Mon 27-Jul-15 20:27:26

I'm not really a converse kind of girl, I have a fear of sportswear and footwear that resembles any type of trainer! I'm just not cool, I like them on other people but they don't look right on me! I've brown suede (cheap so happy to be trashed) ankle boots and flip flop/sandals galore plus the obligatory wellies!
Love the phrase 'festival wanker headbands' as that's exactly what I say whilst secretly jealous of the fact some people can really carry them off and I look a twat!
If the dresses are knee length or just above I'll get the legs out and brave it! Knowing my luck it'll be torrential rain anyway!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now