Talk

Advanced search

cute flat walking shoes

(17 Posts)
tipp2chicago Mon 27-Jul-15 17:50:36

I am going on a trip in September to Prague and then on to the eastern end of the Czech Republic for my cousin's wedding. I'm fairly ok on most of the packing aspects, but I am in a quandary over shoes. I imagine there will be a fair bit of walking around Prague for the first two days, plus I will be doing all the driving. We will be going out for a nice-ish dinner one of the nights, plus a birthday party on one of the days.

So, apart from the shoes I will wear to the actual wedding, I think I will need one pair of shoes for walking around Prague, plus one pair of ballerina?? style nice flat shoes for dinner/dancing/birthday party. I take a size 7.

So, any recommendations for
- cute flat walking shoes
- cute dancing/dinner/party shoes

I have no strong opinions on colour except to say I would like to avoid black, navy and pewter. I prefer bright colours and I would like to avoid trainers. Also, I am only 35, so no Hotter or similar please wink grin

Thanks in advance.

whostolethesocks Mon 27-Jul-15 17:53:24

I recently bought some Skechers Go Walk 2 for walking around Barcelona. very comfortable. Lots of colours and very light to pack in your suitcase.

Theas18 Mon 27-Jul-15 18:00:41

Do you want shoes to walk miles or " look cute" I don't think you get both smile

Sketchers go walk seem popular but are very light and IMHO flimsy for cobbles etc.

I've walked 20k or so a day in Rome in fitflops and in Norway in my merrell walking shoes .

In both locations I'm afraid the trainer was the main footwear on the streets to walk distances ( and i was pretty surprised that up to 20k in a day was possible but my pedometer said so!).

Clarks ballerina flats are comfy if you don't have feet like mine that seems as wide as they are long!

Toffeelatteplease Mon 27-Jul-15 19:21:45

Problem is you have got to look at why hotter is so often recommended.

If you are looking at a healthy sensible shoe you are looking for a sole that doesn't twist easily, good insole support, ideally firmly and adjustably secured over the top of the foot, and finally good/deep heel support over the back of the heel. Ideally if you are walking you want a cushioned sole too. All in all not many cute shoes.

Not sure what weather are you looking for sandals or shoes

Toffeelatteplease Mon 27-Jul-15 19:27:47

Walking Sandal: earth spirit (some very cute designs), birkenstocks, crocs huarache, merrels-> less cute: teva karrimor

Walking shoes: Dr martens are about as cute as it gets, kickers

GetTheFudgeOutOfRodge Mon 27-Jul-15 19:34:21

Sketchers Go Walk 2 have been my best shoe purchase in years (closely followed by my beloved DMs) and have served me well as walking shoes. Cute? Hmm debatable. I quite like how they look but appreciate they are not very fashionable.

I bought a pair of walking shoes from Hotter for my honeymoon as I wanted to make sure I was comfy and could do lots of exploring, and within one day my feet were rubbed to pieces, bleeding and soles were so painful.
I will never buy from Hotter again.

polyhymnia Mon 27-Jul-15 19:55:24

I had the exact same experience with Hotter. The one time I suspended my aesthetic revulsion at the styles and bought a pair for a city walking holiday they cut my feet to shreds and I was in agony.

Like an earlier poster I walk a lot in Rome and have also found be Fitflops to be the answer specially with hard cobbles. Not cute though.

aoife24 Mon 27-Jul-15 21:38:07

I find Varcas very comfortable for walking around cities, they have good soles without being at all clunky and a good range of colours. Toast stocks them.
www.toa.st/uk/product/womens+sandals/F1BAE-F1DAB-F1DAJ/Varca+Sandal.htm?categoryref=%2fcategory.aspx%3fcategoryid%3dwomens%2520sandals%26seoterm%3dsandals%26&pcat=womens+sandals&adimage=&clr=F1BAE_CerisePink

Sonotkylie Tue 28-Jul-15 13:55:42

I have Solillas which are just like Varcas (i think in non expert view) and they are light but with a decent sole and comfortable for walking in a not hurting feet but non technical way. I have walked around lots of cities with and without cobbles and never needed to resort to Skechers, Hotter or any of the others. Thinking about it, maybe I have always had rubbish weather and worn boots ...?
Anyway, I would also suggest a look at Clarks. IME something you like there (within reason!) will always be more comfortable for walking than its general equivalent. I have the Netrix Rose on my feet right now and could definitely do a days sightseeing in them. Cute like a baby rhino? Or Fitflop trainers work well for me too. More functional than cute perhaps but don't frighten the horses.

proudmummywife Tue 28-Jul-15 14:07:13

Go walk all the way

AstoriaMalfoy Tue 28-Jul-15 14:13:40

I bought some fit flop ballerinas in gold as I'm not a trainer wearer either . They are great and very comfortable . Size up though . I'm a 5.5 and needed s 6.5 in these . Bizarre sizing

tipp2chicago Sat 01-Aug-15 20:54:48

Thank you all very much for your help. I am going to take my Primark converse rip-off, which are very comfortable, and a pair of gold ballerinas for dinner/dancing. I really appreciate all of your input. I do have clarks nude courts for the ceremony and the meal.

suestew123 Sat 01-Aug-15 23:49:47

Go walk, they are fab. i have two pairs & I may get a 3rd :-) Only negative is if it rains they soak up the water. But they are like walking on air, the most comfortable shoes I have ever had

Garlick Sun 02-Aug-15 00:00:07

Good idea to take trainers that you already wear smile Maybe take a pair of insoles in case If they turn out not to have enough pavement resistance?

Sounds like a great trip. Have fun!

oldnewmummy Sun 02-Aug-15 00:07:58

I had the same dilemma a few months ago.

I bought Skechers but they were really uncomfortable so I ended up with hiking sandals from a camping shop which were great.

But then I broke my ankle 2 weeks before the holiday and ended up doing the holiday in a moon boot and 1 trainer.

Toffeelatteplease Sun 02-Aug-15 09:22:31

Consider popping a pair of orthopedic insoles onto your primark converse.....

Bearleigh Sun 02-Aug-15 09:55:15

I would take a pair of worn-in trainers as well, just in case...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now