Talk

Advanced search

Ultimate holiday capsule wardrobe

(7 Posts)
WittgensteinsBunny Mon 27-Jul-15 16:09:29

Stats: 33 yo, bf'ing mum of two (4 mo / 2 yo), size 12 top (34f) and 12/14 bottom, 5'5". Nice slim legs and arms + horrible flabby baby belly (ok in high waisted stuff, sort of).

We're going to the South of France later this month and I have no holiday clothes. Nada. Zilch. That's a lie, I have 1 swimsuit and some flip flops. We're staying in a catered villa, in a village and have one night of eating out and hopefully a date lunch / drink with dh whilst mum looks after the babies.

The lovely style and beauty ladies helped me to put together a capsule post partum wardrobe a couple of months ago, which has done me proud. As I'm not slim enough for my old summer clothes, I now need a few bits for a week in the sun. Again, I have a small budget of approx £100.

My wardrobe at the mo:
3 x skinny jeans - pale denim, dark denim, bright pink
1 x white gap cardi
Some uniqlo tees, a couple of whistles tees, h&m breastfeeding vests and a stripy breastfeeding tee
1 x coral breastfeeding t-shirt dress
1 x blue breastfeeding dress looks good with a blue stretchy vintage belt
1 x pair of flip flops
1 x dark grey pair of knackered new balance trainers
1 x black and white spotty swimsuit

Itscurtainsforyou Mon 27-Jul-15 18:22:42

Can you choose 2-3 colours and mix and match? If you give us some idea of the colours you fancy we might be able to find something specific.

Sounds like you have plenty of tops (although depends on the colours as to how well you can mix and match).

I'd buy a few pairs of shorts, possibility thin trousers for cover up just in case.

Maybe a couple more dresses.

Some nice sandals and some casual shoes (superga, converse etc).

A tankini with high waist pants - possibly maternity if you want easy access for feeding.

Possible cardigan/coverup of some kind and sarong for the beach.

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Mon 27-Jul-15 21:02:01

I guess the first thing is what are you planning to do? If you're just hanging out by the pool then you don't tend to need an awful lot of clothes but you might want another swimming costume? And perhaps a cover up to throw over it?

Would a nice pair of denim shorts work with your various tops? That would give you quite a few options?

Maybe some sandals to dress up your dresses for your dinner/lunch out?

Lots of lightweight printed trousers in the shops at the moment, which again would give more options with your tops.

Doobigetta Mon 27-Jul-15 22:04:06

I think colours are the key- pick two or three that work together and stick with them. And avoid white, because it it only looks good once. You need to be able to wear things a few times.

WittgensteinsBunny Mon 27-Jul-15 22:33:53

So, colour wise to blend with what I've got: navy, white, pink and neutrals would work well. All of my tees are white/navy stripes, plain white or pale pink.

We'll be doing lots of pool stuff and (hopefully) hanging out / chilling. No major site seeing. I imagine walks with the babies into the village when it's cooler. All meals will be at the villa except one.

I've found some denim and chino shorts (h&m) I like and I've dug out a tan belt. All of my accessories (bag, watch, purse, belt) are tan leather. I quite like the idea of a loose baby blue shirt to go over a vest and shorts.

Another swim suit and cover up is a must and I'd love another couple of dresses but have no idea where to start. The massive boobs and saggy stomach and breastfeeding access combo is such a pain!

I'm torn between sparkly sandals and plain toms at the moment. Or maybe both. Yes, both in an ideal world! I'm going to have to do some deep sale digging to get everything I need together!

carrie74 Tue 28-Jul-15 12:32:54

It'll be v v hot, so I'd go with denim and cotton shorts (my favourites are J Crew 4" - you may be able to pick some up in sale), and vest tops/T shirts that skim over your tummy. Me&Em has an amazing swing vest in a variety of colours which is fabulous.

Maybe one dress that can work for day and evening, but it should not be tight anywhere or you'll be too hot. Natural material too. Again Me&Em would be a good place to look - sale's on at the moment too.

I just bought a new swimming costume from J Crew (sale), which has ruching, detachable halter strap and is fabulous. Not cheap though.

WittgensteinsBunny Tue 28-Jul-15 20:16:05

Thanks Carrie - love the Me&Em website. I'm def going to order a beach cover up and denim shorts from there. It's a shame I'm bf'ing and post baby chubby as they have some gorgeous dresses in the sale.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now