Talk

Advanced search

What things make you feel special when you put them on?

(31 Posts)
tigermilk Sun 26-Jul-15 06:55:42

Over last few weeks I've had some really shitty personal news and then the next day an unexpected (modest) financial windfall. Weird timing and I can't help but think I should use the latter for some retail therapy. I'm a bit lost, though. I would love to buy one or two things that just make my days feel a bit brighter. I'm a pretty classic dresser, am very happy with my existing handbags so probably not looking to spend there. I guess I'm thinking jewellery or footwear or...? My usual look is skirts, top, tights, ankle boots, Burberry trench (ebay), satchel. It's winter where I am, so maybe a bit of a significant piece of knitwear? Sorry, this is rather broad. I guess the question is - what do you own that cheers you up and makes you feel a bit more invincible than usual? I'd love to buy something that is timeless and special and has that x-factor effect.

dlwelly Sun 26-Jul-15 07:07:50

A beautiful scarf you can throw on with anything, or treat yourself to a lovely ring and a manicure as you always get to look at your hands rather than putting something on for someone else to see!

Not sure what your budget is but if head to Swarovski for something sparkly!

Jemimapuddleduk Sun 26-Jul-15 07:11:37

My stella and dot jewellery, a lovely scarf, a beautiful perfume and a favourite lipstick. Also decent (matching) underwear- it's great to wear normal stuff after lots of pregnancy and then breastfeeding months.
Sorry you have had a crap time recently.

Jemimapuddleduk Sun 26-Jul-15 07:12:54

Sorry I just re read and see you are looking for something/an item that is super special.
Maybe some sparkly earrings or a bracelet. Or an investment handbag?

WottaMess Sun 26-Jul-15 07:30:28

I'd second a ring. I have just added a third to my 'I will survive stack'. I have a semi eternity bought when I successfully challenged a boss who tried to totally illegally get rid of me donkeys years ago, an eternity band I bought when my salary finally passed through a level is been targeting and now a plain band with chips in to mark the end of an 18m project which required half my life and drove me to the brink of clinical depression, but I survived and succeeded. Every time I look at that stack I know I'm more badass than I feel most of the time grin.

nilbyname Sun 26-Jul-15 07:36:31

Really lovely underwear would be my choice, or jewellery.
Diamond studs?

ZaZathecat Sun 26-Jul-15 07:47:30

I love having a new bra.

DoreenLethal Sun 26-Jul-15 07:48:37

My Genus gardening trousers and my Felco secateurs safely in the leg pocket. I am invincible. Let me at those shrubs.

Dukketeater Sun 26-Jul-15 07:51:21

Lipstick, perfume...

tigermilk Sun 26-Jul-15 08:19:25

These are awesome suggestions, thank you. I love the idea of the 'I will survive' ring stack, wottamess and smiling at your invincible pruning wear, DoreenLethal. For those who suggested jewellery, do you have any go-to brands/sites? I really like Alex Monroe, but it's possible they're a bit on the delicate side for me. Hmm...

Callycatsy Sun 26-Jul-15 09:07:40

I like Sheila Fleet jewellery. Some of it's a little chunkier. www.sheilafleet.com/collections

I'd buy either a Westwood dress (if your budget allows it) or a silver bracelet.

Love this

GallopingFoxley Sun 26-Jul-15 12:54:15

A few of my purchases that have cheered me up include my Acne pistol boots, a Missoni scarf, a diamond necklace and a Lalique ring

faustina Sun 26-Jul-15 16:58:21

there is nothing quite as cheering as a lovely cashmere jumper from Brora

JaceLancs Sun 26-Jul-15 18:29:35

Jewellery always cheers me up!

Wrote a car off years ago and bought a ring to cheer myself up - still gives me pleasure now

Pair of earrings a few weeks ago after a stressy time at work, and more car related issues

tigermilk Mon 27-Jul-15 03:13:45

You're all awesome, thank you. Such great suggestions and I kind of wish I could justify following them all up. Have been coveting the Acne boots on and off for ages GallopingFoxley. In a fit of late-night internetting, I ended up buying a lovely tailored tweed jacket (southern hemisphere winter here, so not wildly inappropriate). Fingers crossed it fits and performs the required retail therapy magic. Because I had a bit left over (from the amount I'd allocated/justified), I ended up buying some earrings from here also. Though, oh, I really love that bracelet RemusLupins, and their other stuff is very much my taste too. I hope I've made the right choice. Cue buyer's remorse! grin

recall Mon 27-Jul-15 03:28:24

a pure cashmere jumper

WottaMess Mon 27-Jul-15 06:32:28

Fingers crossed Tiger. May they bring you joy.

squizita Mon 27-Jul-15 09:47:56

My Viv W handbag, my vintage evening wear and at the other end of the scale some nice crisp t shirts!

TWOBANANAS Mon 27-Jul-15 10:20:29

Perfume, jewellery, bags always do it for me!

Doobigetta Mon 27-Jul-15 18:45:17

A bag with gorgeous leather you want to sit and stroke. I think in general great quality natural fabrics are the secret- whether it's leather, silk, cotton, wool- so much nicer than anything synthetic.

Boosiehs Mon 27-Jul-15 18:47:45

A mahoosive cashmere scarf - in a nice neutral colour that goes with everything.

mmmmmmm.

Diamonds are my kick-ass gift to myself. Studs and weddign rings and shiny watch. smile Make me feel like queen of the world. WOO!

Mermaid36 Mon 27-Jul-15 18:49:23

Mmmm, new 50's style dress or a new petticoat in a random colour! My last buy was a dress with an amazing flamingo/melon/cocktail tropical style print... I could flounce around in it for days!

Greymalkin Mon 27-Jul-15 18:50:21

Pearls.

I have a georgeous dusky pink string of pearls that feel really cold when I put them on. They are just soooooo luxurious!

Plus the instantly dress up any outfit.

Pearls. Definitely!!

Madbengalmum Mon 27-Jul-15 18:51:39

My Chanel jacket, Chanel handbags and Roland Mouret Dress

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now