A nice looking backpack type handbag?

(23 Posts)
AppleSnapple Sat 25-Jul-15 20:23:49

Maybe such a thing doesn't exist...!

I have just happily got to the end of my pushchair pushing days, although still carry around a bit of stuff, nappies and crayons and toy cars and all that!

I have a lovely across the shoulder bag (a messenger style) which I like a lot but my boys are of the climbing trees and throwing themselves into stream type so I am often running/climbing/larking around too...! Anyway I saw this one and wondered what people thought? I do like a bit of orla Kiely but liked this one as not quite as obviously her (or is it?) and roomy and nice. But is a backpack intrinsically naff anyway and am I fooling myself that it will look anything other than that?

Just wondering if anyone else has a decent one?

Kittykatmacbill Sat 25-Jul-15 21:05:51

Probably not what you mean but ALL the stylish mummies are using kankens near me at the moment.
www.ilovemykanken.com

AppleSnapple Sat 25-Jul-15 21:28:10

Actually kittykat, I quite like them!! I wonder wgether such a thing as a handbaggy style backpack is never going to look nice (I generally think those small leather ones you sometimes see look quite silly!) and perhaps I should just resign myself to a nice but proper backpack instead!

DrLego Sat 25-Jul-15 22:45:44

I hated the kanken ones for ages BUT mine holds so much stuff it's hard to get rid. It's really useful. The bag linked is very Orla Kiely but not blindingly so grin I like it. I see people with those leather backpack things, not sure what I think.. they always look too small to be very useful...

DrLego Sat 25-Jul-15 22:48:42

I don't like the convertible handbag-backpack creations that exist but I don't mind squareish backpacks.. I fantasise about a backpack I can wear with smartish clothes and not look like I've stepped out of a Harry Enfield Kevin sketch scruffy, or like I'm going hiking for a week

Earlybird Sat 25-Jul-15 22:57:49

I think this one is nice.

uk.longchamp.com/womens-handbags/backpacks-0#7

You can scroll back/forward to see other styles/materials.

Toffeelatteplease Sat 25-Jul-15 23:19:51

I have a gorgeous little leather black one. BUT I got it second hand from eBay and I purchased a few about 5 or 6 before I found one I liked in person.

I found there were a few brands worth following, Jane shilton gigl (I've spelt it wrong). And it is really hard to judge size and comfort online. I'm looking for a spare, more colourful one, but I just can't find them in the shops. Sometimes tx maxx.

My one is quite small, but it will fit purse keys sunglasses case foldable umbrella and a pouch of random small things. I kept one of the slightly larger ones which will also fit a thermos and pack lunch.

It is however way better for you than a cross body bag and seriously more practical for hands free. I quite like the One you linked. It is very Orla Kiely though.

I do not like the kankans to my mind not the same kind of thing at all.

AnotheBloodyChinHair Sat 25-Jul-15 23:30:42

La Pliage ones are lovely but hardly hold anything

HolgerDanske Sun 26-Jul-15 09:25:43

Zatchels do some but I don't know how big they actually are. Handmade in England which is always nice.

meglet Sun 26-Jul-15 09:32:10

I've converted from a handbag to rucksacks now we no longer use a pushchair. Used a cross body Eastpak for a while but I could feel it wasn't doing my posture any good.

I've got a smart, but too small, handbag style rucksack (tk maxx) for work and a boring karrimor for weekends. Really want to upgrade both of them ideally to Chanel and stussy.

ChoclolateOrange Sun 26-Jul-15 09:48:12

I've been looking for a similar bag for ages and found a Desigual one in the sales.
www.desigual.com/en_GB/women/accessories/handbags/page/2/
I am very pleased with it but obviously would love one of those Lonchamp leather ones linked above.grin

Botanicbaby Sun 26-Jul-15 11:24:34

I wouldn't recommend Kanken at all!

I've got the smallest one, it was ridiculously expensive and the quality is extremely poor. There are loose threads around the zip, it's really flimsy and the material feels horrible. angry

ishouldcocoa Sun 26-Jul-15 11:29:17

Cath Kidston? - but not as flowery as most.

I saw these in my local shop, and was quite impressed with them, and the stuff they could potentially hold... like wet knickers or trousers in the bottom bit!!

Cheesymonster Sun 26-Jul-15 11:30:20

I have this for when I'm taking my two year old to park/zoo etc. I got it in tk maxx for £15.

Manic3mum Sun 26-Jul-15 11:30:34

The Cara bag by Mulberry is gorgeous - if money is no object!

cashewnutty Sun 26-Jul-15 19:33:53

Fiorelli have some great ones.

HelenF35 Sun 26-Jul-15 19:40:20

I love that Orla Kiely bag, I may have to purchase one myself grin

AppleSnapple Sun 26-Jul-15 20:00:11

Thank you very much for all the ideas! I love the longchamps one, I think though I might need to physically go shopping for whatever bag I choose- so tricky to ascertain size/weight/strength/comfort from websites!

DrLego Sun 26-Jul-15 20:39:07

the straps on the orla kiely one look v comfortable

ConstantCraving Sun 26-Jul-15 20:54:13

I have one of these in bright green. Its lovely (found on ebay for a fraction of the price): zatchels

AppleSnapple Thu 30-Jul-15 23:36:05

After all my swithering (and going into a shop today to look at it and it was out of stock!) I have bought the O K one online... Will tell you in a couple of days if it's as nice as it looks! Thanks again for all suggestions

SuperFlyHigh Fri 31-Jul-15 11:25:46

Botanic glad you say that about the Kanken... but that's not good is it?? quality etc

SuperFlyHigh Fri 31-Jul-15 11:30:14

some OK are on sale

www.orlakiely.com/uk.cfm/bags/view-all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now