Talk

Advanced search

Where do you look for nice clothes?

(17 Posts)
ScrambledEggAndToast Sat 25-Jul-15 19:12:36

I know it sounds like a weird question but I'm sick of 80% of my clothes (if not more) I find it so hard to find nice things to wear and I don't know where to look. I'm 5 foot tall, weigh around 9st 9lb (embarrassingly), long dark hair, got a bit of a belly but not huge. Really don't know where to look. Because I haven't bought anything for so long, I could afford to spend a few hundred on a some bits and bobs to get me started. Any ideas?

I know, such a first world problem.

stripytees Sat 25-Jul-15 19:28:57

What sort of clothes do you need? What's work dress code, do you do days out with kids or have a dog to walk etc.? And what do you like? Colours or neutrals, skirts or trousers?

Oly4 Sat 25-Jul-15 20:34:37

I think I buy nice quality and tend to shop at Banana Republic, White Company, Reiss, Boden. Odd thing from M&S and Autograph range. Cashmere from the Pure Collection. I try and find discount codes for many of these places, especially White Company and Boden.
Start with good basics, like great jeans and stretch trousers, a lovely jumper or blazer. And go from there

ScrambledEggAndToast Sat 25-Jul-15 20:47:34

Never been to any of those places oly so good start. Want office work/nights out/chilling out. Like fairly neutral stuff.

Oly4 Sat 25-Jul-15 20:59:50

They are expensive but all good quality in my opinion. The Chelsea or bistro trousers from Boden are great stretch work trousers, Banana Republic do fantastic work tops and the odd amazing thing for nights out, I buy some evening tops in Reiss, and White Company knitwear is amazing. You only need a few key pieces to really start on a great wardrobe. White Company is all neutrals so maybe start there. I always look for a 20% discount code though as the prices are high. The other places can be more reasonable. There's still loads left in the Reiss sale (though it pays to go in store there for a rummage).
Another place I like for going out tops is French Connection.
I'm 38. How old are you?

ScrambledEggAndToast Sun 26-Jul-15 07:54:55

I'm 32

Deeznutz Sun 26-Jul-15 09:02:03

Personally I'd start with a capsule. You are petite so that needs to be considered especially when it comes to jeans etc. What neutrals suit you best?

Next does really great jeans for petite with a bit of a belly- it's their lift,slim and shape ones.
I would personally add three cashmere v-necks in charcoal,navy and taupe.
Boden does some lightweight layering tops (boatneck) which are flattering to petites and come in a variety of colours.
Breton
A boxy merino knit
Cami vest for layering in tonal colours

Buy natural fibres and all leather shoes. I recently bought a pair of Hudson tan daisy brogues and they are the most lovely quality.

Places I rate- Hudson for shoes, woolovers for plain basic knits (ignore the biddy-ness pics), Boden,Toast,Next,Uniqlo, Autograph, Next,Brora,Johnstons of Elgin, Kew and white Company. Mint velvet does nice shoes/boots but their clothing isn't great IMHO. Agnes b for investment stuff.

Would you wear Spanish riding boots? How classic are we talking are you in your personal style?

Deeznutz Sun 26-Jul-15 09:07:51

this in navy,grey and off -white would be useful. Add scarf /necklace according to taste.

SuperFlyHigh Sun 26-Jul-15 16:33:32

Deez Kew aren't around anymore.

Op what I'd suggest are good basics. I was in an awful habit of buying one off pieces which then I couldn't match properly.

So lately I've got a navy short sleeved knit too from Jigsaw, navy spotted skirt Emily & Fin, floral blue/pink flippy skirt Jigsaw etc. midi skirts x 2 Top Shop, palm print jumpsuit Top Shop.

I do buy the odd trend item eg sequin parrot tshirt H&M.

Also you don't have to do Breton, cashmere etc if you don't want to! I don't like Bretons and find cashmere nice but tricky to care for (hand wash, moths etc). Uniqlo I also find very boring.

Work you need to work out do you want meeting stuff and/or everyday. Would you pay a lot for an excellent work shift dress (Hobbs) or prefer a couple of cheaper pieces? I haven't been in eg Banana republic for ages but they did have nice work tops and nice evening and also nice accessories.

Some here love Cos etc some hate it. Maybe a Pinterest board would be good before you splash your cash.

polyhymnia Sun 26-Jul-15 17:08:51

Hobbs, LK Bemmett, Whistles?

aliciagardner Sun 26-Jul-15 17:12:23

I have bought a lot from joy the store recently. Dresses for work as well as casual stuff.

Deeznutz Sun 26-Jul-15 17:35:08

I should have said kew 159 but I can see it is being phased out by Jigsaw.

Deeznutz Sun 26-Jul-15 17:39:34

Jigsaw is poor quality for the money so I wouldn't advise that.

mrsmeerkat Sun 26-Jul-15 17:39:55

I am a little bigger and have been in maternity and post maternity for two years

I recently lost a bit of weight and went through my wardrobe I actually got two pairs of navy skimnies from tesco as aiming to lose more

I bought a pretty raincoat from matanray I'm debenhams and lots of new tops in monsoon and oasis. They are really nice quality.

Going to treat myself to a Breton top from me+em soon

Really recommend oasis and monsoon for tops though. Feel good most darts now. They are quite dressy and yet easy to wear.

SuperFlyHigh Sun 26-Jul-15 18:47:35

Deenutz you do know Kew and jigsaw are owned by the same company?

Some older Jigsaw stuff is good, my new top is good quality - the skirt is nice but I got it in the sale.

mrs I 2nd oasis especially in sale for tops and even dresses. Good quality if a bit "synthetic".

Having said that is will look in uniqlo for basics again as the jumpers Deenutz linked to are very good basics.

Sansarya Sun 26-Jul-15 19:15:22

You can still buy Kew in some branches of TK Maxx or on their website.

SuperFlyHigh Mon 27-Jul-15 09:59:13

Sansarya yes I've seen Kew in TK Maxx. I was slightly put off as a friend was selling for them in their stores not as a SA.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now