Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet mature makeup makeover

(7 Posts)
sweepsmum Sat 25-Jul-15 11:48:33

OK, so I'm approaching a very big birthday (50) and everything's going south, including my face. All of a sudden, the makeup i've been applying for years just doesn't look right and is making me look even older than i am (boo hoo). I'm happy with my foundation (No7) but just can't seem to get the rest of it right - eyes, cheeks, lips all seem to look garish.

So can anyone recommend a makeup counter in Boots or similar that is suitable for a mature makeup makeover. I'm after a natural look and normally have a No.7 budget, but might push the boat out a bit.

Thanks

ggirl Sat 25-Jul-15 11:52:33

I'm 53 and have come to the conclusion that less is more flattering as I have aged.
I don't really wear eyeshadow anymore as it looks crap on me and I look younger without it.

I would go for a clarins or bobbi brown counter .

SweetAndFullOfGrace Sat 25-Jul-15 11:53:09

I stopped using eyeliner recently and it's made me look years younger. And less tired.

I also realised that I've been putting blush in the wrong place. If you smile and do it then it ends up too low most of the time. Just put it where it looks like it should go on a rested face. That also made me look less tired.

ggirl Sat 25-Jul-15 12:09:04

Wish I could get my eyelashes and brows dyed but I'm allergic .
I stick to clarins BB cream , giorgio armani under eye concealer , any blush , mascara and anastacia brow pomade ..and if can be arsed bobbi brown gel eyeliner .

popcornpaws Sat 25-Jul-15 15:56:21

Iam the same as you and have definitely changed how much makeup i wear.
Less is more as others have said.
I don't wear eyeshadow at all, when i was younger i wore loads and it looked lovely but not on a 49yr old face!
Don't wear mascara on your bottom lashes either.
I wear a bright lip crayon but the rest of my makeup is subtle and it looks "well groomed"

AlisonBlunderland Sat 25-Jul-15 16:01:41

Bobbi Brown counter gave me a nice makeover but still way to much for everyday for me.
But their gel eyeliner ( or maybelline studio) is great- as long as you don't go full on Amy Winehouse with it, it makes you eyes look much bigger.

Callycatsy Sat 25-Jul-15 17:58:25

I'm in the same boat and spent a small fortune last year on concealers, foundations, powders and eyebrow stuff and found I looked worse rather than better.

Now I use YSL ink fusion foundation, a tiny sweep of touché éclat on the inner corners of my eyes, no blusher, black mascara and lipstick over a balm to make it less ferocious.

In summer I use cliniques double powder over a sunscreen and mascara and lip balm lipstick. Less is definitely more in my case.

Concealers and eyeliners look so hard. I'm appalled at the way Gloria Hunniford and Julia Somerville look on daytime telly. They're all black eyes and shouty lipstick!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now