Talk

Advanced search

In between sizes - what to wear for work?

(9 Posts)
Muddlewitch Sat 25-Jul-15 11:27:18

I am in between a 12 and 14 after losing weight.

I am starting a new job next week and stressing about what to wear. When I have visited they seem to be wearing 'office wear' smart but not full on suits.

I have lots of office type clothes but they all fit really badly as I have lost weight and most are 14 or 16. But when I try a 12 although I can get it on it looks too snug, trousers give me a bit of a muffin top etc. But my bigger stuff is falling down! Belts seem to look too bulky with smart trousers and a top. I am rubbish at styling generally though.

I don't have lots of money to spend so wondered if anyone has any bright ideas of what I can do with my current wardrobe or a couple of key things I could buy that won't look like I am wearing the wrong size.

I am 36, 5'3 and I think pear shaped, if that makes a difference.

Any advice would be much appreciated, I am rubbish at things like this!

burnishedsilver Sat 25-Jul-15 12:00:24

Do you know anyone who's good with a swing machine? A few minor alterations might solve the problem.

tippytap Sat 25-Jul-15 12:09:29

Ok. I'm in the same boat as you.

Sizing is is different in different shops. I've managed to find a pair of black trousers and a black skirt to wear to work and style them with different tops/jackets that do fit. It helps at my work that we have dress down Fridays!

stripytees Sat 25-Jul-15 12:53:42

What about a shift style dress in a ponte (thick jersey) fabric? I have one that has been amazingly adaptable through weight loss. And just bought another at M&S this week.

Muddlewitch Sat 25-Jul-15 14:42:58

Thank you for the replies.

Tippy do you mind if ask what shops you found best?

Stripy I like the sound of that, I was wondering about dresses but was worried about what shape, a style like that could work though. I will have a look at M & S.

I don't think I know anyone that is handy with a sewing machine unfortunately, if I try I fear it really will not work out well...

WhiteHairReally Sat 25-Jul-15 16:29:19

Try and find someone who does alterations. Lots in Scottish cities, but not sure that helps you. Yellow pages/Yell for 'Dressmakers' ? Some dry cleaners do alterations too, eg Johnsons. Personal recommendations are what you need, and in mine and my friends' experience, prices can vary, which might make you wonder whether it's worth it. I'm in a similar situation vis weight loss, but still 'on the journey' as they say. I got a couple of skirts taken in ( side seams, Re-set zip etc). They cost £15 each, but another place quoted me £30.
Hope some of this is of help. Good luck in the new job!

tippytap Sat 25-Jul-15 18:11:13

Hiya Muddle,

I go looking at shops with small size 14 or large 12's. I have to say, though, that I'd rather have a small 12 grin

For cheapy work trousers that I won't be in for long, I've found some in Tesco actually. I've also found some 12 in M&S , but obv they cost a bit more. Same with tops really. I'm really not a 12 yet, but can fit into a 12 in Tesco, 10-12 in Next.

It's just a case of doing the rounds and finding a couple of things that fit and will 'do' for now.

Hope this helps xx

Muddlewitch Sat 25-Jul-15 18:27:04

White thank you I had thought it would be quite expensive but around £15 would be ok if I got a couple of my nicer pairs of trousers taken in. Do they still sit ok if they take the waist in, I know when I have attempted such things in the past with the kids clothes it has made them stick out oddly at the bottom/thighs. I am not blessed with crafty skills at all though. grin

Muddlewitch Sat 25-Jul-15 18:28:17

Hi Tippy, that is useful thank you, I think if I could get a couple of trousers that fit ok I could made do with tops with layering etc.

I would rather be a small size 12 too, maybe one day!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now