Talk

Advanced search

Dying my hair for the first time in a salon

(18 Posts)
esiotrot2015 Fri 24-Jul-15 15:43:45

I'm going for permanent to cover my greys & I asked the hairdresser how long it will last & she said until it grows out
Am I being thick but how long does she mean ?

LordEmsworth Fri 24-Jul-15 15:47:50

She means it's permanent, it won't wash out.

It may fade, which I suspect is what you're thinking. That depends based on your hair and your lifestyle. I have mine dyed red, it looks rich and glossy for about 2 weeks then starts to go orangey... but I wash everyday. Red is the worst for fading - brown and blonde are better but will start to look jaded and dull, rather than not being there anymore.

Melonfool Fri 24-Jul-15 15:49:19

The roots will start showing in 3-4 weeks, enough that you'll want it done again/roots touched up in 5-6 weeks I expect.

It won't fade or wash out if it's a perm colour, if that's what you mean? Well, it will fade a bit I expect.

esiotrot2015 Fri 24-Jul-15 15:49:37

Ah ok so will it fade after about six weeks when most hairdressers suggest you go back I usually go three times a year

esiotrot2015 Fri 24-Jul-15 15:51:03

It's 90 quid / do people pay this much for a colour every six weeks <faints>
God I feel like a style thicko
I'm surprised I'm not banned from this topic grin

Jinglebells99 Fri 24-Jul-15 15:51:25

The permanent colour will stay on your hair until you cut it off! It may fade. After about 4 -6 weeks your new hair will start to grow in and your roots in your natural colour will start to be noticeable depending how grey your are, and then you can have an appointment to do your roots only. I wish is never started colouring my hair! It's a huge time commitment and a faff to do. I think permanent colour is worse as with highlights the roots are less noticeable.

SewingAndCakes Fri 24-Jul-15 15:54:53

Depending upon how much grey you have, it'll start to show at the roots within a few weeks. If you get a semi permanent dye it'll fade and be less noticeable as your hair grows.

Here's a thread from people who've dyed their hair for years and decided to stop: www.mumsnet.com/Talk/style_and_beauty/2423639-For-those-of-us-going-grey

burnishedsilver Fri 24-Jul-15 17:00:26

Unless it's highlights and/or included a cut £90 is crazy.

Melonfool Fri 24-Jul-15 17:01:17

'People' do pay that I'm afraid.
I don't I get my hair cut every 3 months and it's c£40.

I am going grey but I have never dyed it, I don't intend to either though this doesn't mean I never will. I am considering a balayage for autumn.

muchhappierthesedays Fri 24-Jul-15 18:26:49

Would you consider doing it yourself at home? The mousse ones are really easy to do on your own-just like shampoo and only cost about £5.

esiotrot2015 Fri 24-Jul-15 18:49:51

Hmmm I think you're all right
I had a cut today & booked the colour but I think I'll phone and cancel
I can't afford £90
Will rethink thanks all

esiotrot2015 Fri 24-Jul-15 18:51:35

Muchhappier : I'm freaked out by doing it at home
I'm 40 and have never dyed my hair blush

NewsreaderChic Fri 24-Jul-15 18:52:52

I have my roots done every six weeks £27 if I'm not having it cut.

ginmakesitallok Fri 24-Jul-15 18:55:00

About 6 months ago I decided to stop dying my hair, after realising the time, effort and expense some older friends were having to put in. I'm 40 and am learning to love my natural highlights.

cerealqueen Fri 24-Jul-15 19:06:09

Why don't you put a demi- permanent on it to cover the grey? It will wash out over 24 shampoos. What is your natural hair colour?

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Fri 24-Jul-15 19:11:59

I am using a semi-permanent which covers grey called 'Natures Grey Busters' as I seemed to be having a reaction to PPD in permanent colour. This covers my grey well, and I think will be ok until I retouch my roots about 3 weeks after having it done. It lasts up to 8 shampoos. I paid about a fiver for it, but I need 2 for the length and thickness of my hair, though I am hoping to get away with 1 pack for my roots.

esiotrot2015 Fri 24-Jul-15 20:37:22

Thanks everyone
I'm a dark brown

Going to ring salon to cancel tomorrow
Why do I feel nervous doing this ?? Lol

SwedishEdith Fri 24-Jul-15 20:49:57

Easy to do it at home. A semi permanent will cover the grey roots.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now