Talk

Advanced search

Sunscreen/cream for children with sensitive skin prone to eczema

(17 Posts)
Newbiecrafter Fri 24-Jul-15 12:17:33

Hello

I have been using Ultrasun for the last couple of years but have noticed that after using for a couple of days, the DC's skin comes up in a rah, a bit like prickly heat.

DD has lots of food allergies and also have bad eczema so I need to be careful with what we put on her skin.

After checking on here I tried using their normal moisturiser on them before using the ultrasun but the same thing happens.

It would be good to find something we can all use. I find sunscreen/creams very greasy and heavy and make me feel more hot and sticky so is it possible to find something we can all use?

This is mostly for using in the UK for normal summer days as well as if we ever get away to Europe.

Many thanks for your help. I did try and search for this and found some old threads but thought id ask about current products.

Many thanks in advance.

marcias23 Fri 24-Jul-15 12:47:17

I know exactly what it's like trying to get rid of eczema. I tried a lot of mainstream stuff like creams and medications but I got sick of seeing subpar results or results I would need to keep buying the cures to keep. I found out about the Eczema Free Forever program by Rachel Anderson, which has great reviews (see here: steamspoils.com/eczema-free-forever-review/ ) and I havent looked back. Fixing my diet, changing some lifestyle attributes...I've finally gotten long lasting results towards perfect skin, and I know exactly how to avoid my eczema triggers now. My skin was clearer after just two weeks. So for anyone else who is leaning towards natural methods, make the jump and try it. It's so much better than being a slave to creams. If you're interested in the Eczema Free Forever book, here's a link to their site directly: steamspoils.com/product/eczemafreeinfo/

SeahorseSid Fri 24-Jul-15 12:50:19

My DS has severe eczema and reacts to lots of stuff. The one which is strangely working ok for us is the Aldi kids one in the spray bottle. And the bonus is it's very cheap!!

aniceearlynight Fri 24-Jul-15 14:05:00

We use Piz Buin allergy on my 12-yr-old's body and the Australian brand Sunsense Ultra SPF 50 on her face and for top-ups when out and about (as the bottle is smaller).

She has very fair skin and sun cream often causes her eczema to flare up even when her skin has been clear. I am not sure that the Piz Buin is great for UVA protection but other brands that are available in Boots (Soltan etc) seem to bring her out in a rash after a day or two and when she borrowed someone else's Ambre Solaire at Sports Day her whole face and eyes swelled up and she spent quite a bit of the day in the First Aid tent!

SPF 50 might be overkill for the UK but I'm sure Sunsense is also available in SPF 30.

Tizwailor Fri 24-Jul-15 14:10:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tizwailor Fri 24-Jul-15 14:11:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 24-Jul-15 14:15:31

lovea factor 50 kids sunspray is good

green people good too

AliAliAlium Fri 24-Jul-15 14:54:14

We are in a similar position to you (DS reacts to most suncreams), and used to live somewhere where we needed sun cream year round. Sunsense Factor 50+ Is the best I've found. Or their Toddler Milk (there is no real difference for us). It doesn't exacerbate his eczema at all; he occasionally came out in a slight rash if it was very, very hot (we're talking 40+ degrees) but I think this was due to heat as much as product.

MissesandMuddles Fri 24-Jul-15 15:55:55

A second recommendation for Sunsense.

Northumberlandlass Fri 24-Jul-15 15:58:40

I always thought i got prickly heat, when in fact i had PMLE.

The GP offered to write me a prescription for giant Sunsense. I bought La Roche-Posay which has been amazing

Diamondsandpears Fri 24-Jul-15 15:59:56

Lavera, Green People and Badger balm.

SirVixofVixHall Fri 24-Jul-15 16:02:04

My dds react to many sunscreens and I react to all chemical screens. I use the Avene factor 50 for v. sensitive skin, the mineral one, from the garden pharmacy www.garden.co.uk/make-up-skin-care/avene-skin-care/sun-care/high-protection-mineral-cream-spf-50-50ml.html This one. The other one they do, in the orange tube, has chemical screens.

Newbiecrafter Mon 27-Jul-15 18:43:42

Hi everyone

Thanks for the recommendations. I have been looking at the various recommendations and think I'm going to try sunsense first and take it from there.

Another quick question on this, Is it good for darker skin tones? I have tried another one in the past on myself and it seemed to leave a white sheen from, I think, the titanium dioxide.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. Its great to have a list of ones to try.

thanks

Toohotforme Mon 27-Jul-15 21:10:44

Definitely Sunsense - great choice

ameliajames00 Fri 14-Oct-16 06:09:25

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

CallarMorvern Fri 14-Oct-16 22:04:56

I used Lavera for years on DD, but now she's started whinging about it looking ghostly. So she mainly uses Lovea kids. Bit worried about Ultrasun, we've just discovered it for DH, who has psoriasis and it's the only one that stops him burning, yet doesn't irritate. Hope it carries on working for him.

Happy50 Fri 14-Oct-16 22:50:54

Green people range for children is very very gentle for people with eczema

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now