Talk

Advanced search

How can I stop stepping out of my shoes on stairs?

(9 Posts)
suzynash Fri 24-Jul-15 10:10:28

Our office has very steep stairs and twice recently I have stepped out of my heel once while carrying hot drinks!!

How can I avoid this - I have now feet which cause the slipping.

GreyAndGoldInTheMeadow Fri 24-Jul-15 10:19:47

Sounds like your shoes don't fit very well or you need to try out some different styles. What kind of shoes are they?

TheSpottedZebra Fri 24-Jul-15 10:23:09

Buy shoes with a strap, or which cover your instep?

ShipShapeAhoy Fri 24-Jul-15 10:24:46

I don't know if this will help but when I walk upstairs in heels I only ever put the flat part of my foot on the ground. The heel bit hangs over the edge so it's like you're wearing flat shoes.

uplands1 Fri 24-Jul-15 10:43:01

I have the same problem as I have slim feet.

Tried heel grips but they didn't work.

Now, I just leave my shoes at the bottom of the stairs - it's just much safer.

specialsubject Fri 24-Jul-15 11:33:01

buy some shoes that fit and are designed to allow you to walk?

no shoe that is fit for purpose does this. No point being the best shod person in A and E. Buy some decent footwear.

Melonfool Fri 24-Jul-15 12:42:43

I have to buy flat shoes with a high front to stop this - I have very flat feet so am not sure if that is the problem.

It happened a few weeks ago on the Tube and I ended up flat on my face at the bottom of the concrete steps, was lucky not to be more seriously hurt. Those shoes were quite high fronted but the current ones are higher - and frumpy. But I don't care.

I do have problems getting well fitting shoes (it's easy to say "buy shoes that fit" - it's not so easy to do). My flat feet make it hard plus the fact I don't fit any size - 8 is too big, 7 is too small, not many brands do half sizes and even if they do they don't always fit me. But the last pair of shoes I bought are a 6.5 from M&S. But I tried on a shoe from them in a 7 recently and it was too small. Heel grips help in some shoes but not all. My flat feet mean my toes push forward more so they can get very sore in the wrong type of shoes.

Miggsie Fri 24-Jul-15 12:44:51

Buy better and more practical shoes.
Or get someone else to fetch the drinks.

I have very high arches and just walk out of any standard women's court shoe or ballerina shoe. I shop for styles very carefully - I now get shoes made to order via Etsy - ironically cheaper than most high street shops.

BennyPoo Fri 24-Jul-15 15:16:22

I cannot for the life of me keep court shoes on. Someone told me it could be because although my feet are very wide at the front, they are narrow at the back by the heels? Anyway.a friend swears by double sided tape which she puts in her shoes so basically your feet actually stick to the shoe. And amazingly it works! I only bought the cheap tape from Poundland and it did the job on a night out earlier this week!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now