Talk

Advanced search

help needed! I'm in wedding guest outfit woe!

(6 Posts)
pissovski Thu 23-Jul-15 21:13:44

I need help! Sorry for how long this will be!

DH and I have a wedding to attend late August. Bit of background info - It is a good friend who is getting married and we will have to travel an hour to the ceremony and then another 30 mins ish to the reception. We also have 4 yr old DS to contend with, so all in all I need to be fairly comfortable and mobile! I am a size 18 (to my eternal shame - most of the other female guests I know are size 8 - 12), big norks, pale pink skin tone (never any chance of a tan), ginger hair (with a little help!). No good body bits, but above and below the belly button are horribly flabby and definitely in need of covering (tend toward loose/floaty tops). Colour wise I favour purples, blacks and blues (bit like a bruise!) with silver jewellery.

So, I have an issue. I know it is expected to wear a dress for a summer wedding. I do have one dress that I could wear. It is mainly black, with a pale pink/silver floral design and is this style I could wear a silver pashmima, black patent heels (and silver ballet flats for later on!) with tights (and spanx!). Hair is shoulder length bob, would probably curl it somehow. I was thinking of having the dress altered to become a top (mid thigh length) and wearing it with wide leg black trousers. Same shoes - or possible silver ones. I would probably feel better in trousers and top - would this be suitable? I suppose blue would be better really.

I want to be comfortable, but not look like someone firmly ensconced in middle age (even though 37 is close to it!). I don't fancy a 3 course meal, on a potentially very warm day, with DS to run after, while being trussed up like a Christmas turkey!!

Please help me!

SweetAndFullOfGrace Thu 23-Jul-15 21:17:46

I think if you feel happy and comfortable in what you're wearing you will have a much better time.

I don't see what's wrong with wearing trousers to a wedding. My mum wore trousers to my wedding because she doesn't really do dresses.

pissovski Thu 23-Jul-15 21:42:45

Thanks Sweet My mum wore a trouser suit to my wedding actually smile I know I would be more comfortable in trousers, especially running around after DS!

Do you think black is ok for a wedding? Obviously with other colours. There is no way white or cream, even as a background would work with my skin!

SweetAndFullOfGrace Thu 23-Jul-15 22:35:00

I love black, and a lot of people wore it to my wedding. But that was an evening wedding in early Spring not a summer wedding.

I know you say pale doesn't suit you but if you avoid cream can you wear off white? I'm very pale and off white is surprisingly flattering as long as it has no warmth at all.

I quite like these for example, and this is nice too. Probably not together!

SweetAndFullOfGrace Thu 23-Jul-15 22:38:42

Or you could wear a jacket over the black trousers to dress them up a bit? Don't know what you think of this?

pissovski Thu 23-Jul-15 23:02:17

Thanks again sweet. am on my phone now so pics are tiddly, but I will definitely have a look tomorrow.

A jacket could be a great idea actually. The dress/ top has both pink and silver in the flowers, so I could bring either through. light trousers are probably best avoided (to quote Divine Comedy, my 'arse is the size of a small country!') but I have just remembered that I do have some black trousers with a silver pinstripe which could work. And then maybe silver shoes, rather than black.

The budget is meagre, unfortunately, but I will see what I can do.

feel more positive, so thanks xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now